2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the 8th gen civic scene! first post as well!

i bought an 2007 2.2 diesel type S GT, and its fully loaded! (almost)
i have (all from factory) Sat Nav, Panoramic Roof, Reversing Camera, Bluetooth... but no USB port?
There are loads of threads and posts about the retro fitting an ipod connection but none really seem to go anywhere... the question is asked and sort of answered but never really fully.
what i would like to know is...

Is it possible to retrofit a factory standard USB port to play music via the car speakers from an ipod/iphone etc.

if so how?
what do i need?
how long does it take?
can a monkey like me install it?
how much is it likely to cost?
can you operate it from the steering wheel?
will it give you feedback on whats playing... i.e. does it display track listings.

no offence is intended in this post, i am new and keen to contribute, i also would like to get a comprehensive answer for myself and for future people keen to use theyre ipod in theyre civics

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,890 Posts
Your questions suggest that you probably need to replace the whole stereo unit.

If you simply wanted to connect your iPod to the standard system, then it might be easier to do what I've done and buy a (counterfeit, in my case) iTrip... iTrip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Itrip - Radio Transmitter for Ipod | eBay

Wouldn't give you the functionality you appear to want, but could be a quick fix for the time being?

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Xcarlink

I have Xcarlink installed in my 08 type R. The unit costs around £100 but I got mine fitted by Impulse car electronics in watford when they did my sub. This gives you Ipod or/and AUX connectivity.
I have heard of plenty of people installing this themselves though so just depends how confident you are as I requires most of the dash out.

The unit emulates being a CD changer and works as follows:

CD 1: Will play anything that the ipod/iphone is playing (such as music, podcasts, videos etc) I normally just leave it on this one
CD 2: 1st playlist on the Ipod
CD 3: 2nd playlist and so on up till CD 8

I can confirm the steering wheel controls still work so volume can be changed and also track. If I hold down the channel up or down it then switches between the CD options.

As for track information I wont display anything except for the CD you are on, and in the case of CD2-8 what track number. I have the sat Nav version too and the audio screen just says extention and doesn't display any information.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Another vote for xcarlinx here - you can connect with a 3.5 mm cable for playback, or there is a lead supplied which is used for charging and scrolling through the tracks. I prefer the 3.5 mm option myself, but its handy to have the charging option.

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
just a note on the xcarlink, mine packed up after 3 years. is now a random piece of nothingness in behind the stereo. was ok while it worked, but in hindsight, id have gone for a single din install and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I bought the xcarlink but removed it and insalled a genuine honda iPod box, cost me £45 and about 2 hours to install.

Worth ever penny.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Just got hold of a Music Link 2.0 for £42 delivered from the States, is it a lot of hassle to fit..? I'm assuming pulling the centre part of the dash out is a major ball ache...

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Or pay around £200 and fit a decent double din that will have more features and sound better
I looked at that option but the cheapest I could find a double din dash conversion panel was £150, on top of the price of the head unit...with fitting to be added as well.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I looked at that option but the cheapest I could find a double din dash conversion panel was £150, on top of the price of the head unit...with fitting to be added as well.
Yup, fitted mine was £700 odd quid all in. Only half of that was the head unit.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I'm in two minds whether the Music Link is the way to go, I want to use my iphone 5 in the car and that will need the 32pin to Lightning adaptor...does anyone know if this will work before I rip the dash out (or pay someone to do it!)..? Would the double DIN route be a cert to work with the 5..?

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I've got my iphone 5 linked to mine with music link, if I didn't have sat nav I'd have put in a double din, I miss the ability to have DAB radio

1 - 20 of 23 Posts