2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forget performance upgrades, mpg, trade in values etc. The question troubling me right now is my 25yo girlfriend is learning to drive and wants me to let her learn in the R.

She has had a few lessons with the AA Focus, I took her out in my brothers Polo diesel but due to lack of availability of either she has asked and I said no.

But she asks why don't you trust me? blah, blah, blah.

Don't even get me started on matters of insurance etc.

But would you let a learner loose in a 200bhp hot hatch. Answers below.

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
i wouldn't either !!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Apart from the fact it's quite hard to drive (clutch control, gear selection etc), I wouldn't be too worried. You have to be trying hard to accelerate fast, if a learner is tootling around at low revs they would most likely struggle to find any torque.

Insurance on the other hand...

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
yeah why not, like other people say she aint going to be vtecing anyway is she? only thing i would be worried about is all the blind spots.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
she would nEed to prise the keys out of my cold dead fingers...... and i dont care how "grateful" she was if you follow me.... NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not even if it was a he.... that is why instructors are paid for...

Apart from insurance, as others mentioned is not the best car to learn with as it has a lot of blind spots.

I also wouldn't take the risk to wear off the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Apart from the fact it's quite hard to drive (clutch control, gear selection etc), I wouldn't be too worried. You have to be trying hard to accelerate fast, if a learner is tootling around at low revs they would most likely struggle to find any torque.

Insurance on the other hand...

Taking the rear spoiler off would make it a lot better prospect for a learner driver! :p

·
Premium Member
6,562 Posts
forget performance upgrades, mpg, trade in values etc. The question troubling me right now is my 25yo girlfriend is learning to drive and wants me to let her learn in the r.

She has had a few lessons with the aa focus, i took her out in my brothers polo diesel but due to lack of availability of either she has asked and i said no.

But she asks why don't you trust me? Blah, blah, blah.

Don't even get me started on matters of insurance etc.

But would you let a learner loose in a 200bhp hot hatch. Answers below.
hahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahaahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahaahaahahahahahahahqhhqqhqhqhqhahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahhhaahahahhahahahahahahahah
your taking the ????

·
Unofficial Trader
1,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Dilemma!!! :) In this case there is not a good answer! Only bad ones

If you say no: your girlfriend will be mad and maybe you have a quarrel
If you say yes: there is a chance your fn2 will have a crash or dent and you will be a very nervous instructor during the lessons and she doesn' t learn how to drive properly

Don't say yes or no, take her to a driving school or buy a very cheap secondhand car for her to learn how to drive!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Nowt wrong with the civic to learn in, my pupils lovelove it.
In fact its a big reason I get referrals

Got a friend teaching in the TypeR and its the same story, as for blind spots...it teaches them (and myself) to pay more attention with reversing, which judging by the stories on here you could all do with some practice on LOL

I wonder about the insurance though but the answer is simple...
I wouldnt unless she significantly goes further with her education.

So... visit the IAM site and pick up on the deal for lessons and a test, its fab value as the instructors work for free.
Once she's done that, treat the two of yourselves to a track day so she can feel the pressure.

Maybe then I would let her drive it but specifically get the IAM test done, if she fails that then you can say "I told you so..." and she will recognise the value of your car.
If she passes, tell her wonderful she is :) and you will reap wonderful compliment love (whatever that may be lol)
Its a win win

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts