2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
A/C fixer-upper'er
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having finally resolved to get all those little bugs, snags, rattles and other annoyances sorted, I wrote up a list and was shocked at just how much there was to do, especially considering this is mostly stuff just to bring it back up to original spec.

Im going to write one list for myself and hopefully update it as things get fixed, and would appreciate if others could add their own lists. I wouldnt intend this thread as a discussion on how to repair these defects (theres plenty of more informative threads available elsewhere), more as a record of the various defects that different owners are currently experiencing. Share the pain!!!

So:
  • Repair / replace damaged parking sensor and bumper - where some idiot hit it in a car park :(
  • Replace smashed offside front foglight - been like that far too long but an aftermarket spare has been ordered.
  • Do something about the long scratch on the drivers side front quarter - looks like someone has dragged a handbag or similar down it while squeezing into their car :(
  • Replace the front brakes, preferably with something a bit tastier than stock parts - moved a couple of months ago and now have dual carriageway driving with roundabouts every mile or so, its taken its toll and the ones fitted do not inspire confidence decelerating from high speed!
  • Clean out the EGR and dump in a can of BG244 - been noticing slow acceleration compared to a mates Civic 2.2, hopefully these together should have a noticeable impact.
  • Reseal the rear indicator unit and rear foglight that both seem to be full of condensation.
  • Replace the rear internal light which seems to have failed - sealed unit.
  • Repair the front sunroof blind so it can retract - apparently its a 2p spring clip causing the failure but may entail removing the entire headlining.
  • Contact the company that sold me the aftermarket Satnav DVD update - which now produces a disc read error on every drive, rendering the satnav untrustworthy!
  • Wait for a stonechip to break the front windscreen so it can be replaced - previous owner must have not replaced wiper blades and theres visible scratches across my side of the screen visible in low light (didnt notice when I bought the car privately :()
  • Replace numberplate caps - old ones gone rusty.
  • Find a way to silence the squeaks in the cabin - the silver bezel around the big satnav control, and my seat which squeaks every time I go round a roundabout.
  • Give the thing a damned good clean - although itll be dirty in a week anyhow!
Think thats everything!!! Looking forward to hearing other peoples drip/work list!

·
A/C fixer-upper'er
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the local dealer is a bit of a pain to deal with, Im trying to stay away from them as their parts prices are a bit steep, and while Im waiting 15 mins to see someone from the parts dept Im being pushed into every car in the showroom!

Plenty of websites that can supply parts and info, and Id only ever put the car in for work by a garage that puts its owners name over the door - they actually know what all the bits do and how to diagnose and fix issues, rather than following a flowchart on the dealer garage computer! The less said about Kwikfit, Halfords et al the better really!!

Oooh, look at me going off topic already!

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Sounds like you got an unloved car, sure you will sort it soon.

The rear internal light isn't sealed, you can get in there to replace the bulb. Mr JP sells an internal light kit which are LED's which look smart.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Sounds like you got an unloved car, sure you will sort it soon.

The rear internal light isn't sealed, you can get in there to replace the bulb. Mr JP sells an internal light kit which are LED's which look smart.
When about to remove the covers on the headlining internal lights to replace the bulbs, instead of using a screwdriver, use rubber suction cup nicked from the kitchen or bathroom.
Will take the covers off as clean as a whistle, without any damage.
Same goes for removing the centre wheel caps.

·
A/C fixer-upper'er
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When about to remove the covers on the headlining internal lights to replace the bulbs, instead of using a screwdriver, use rubber suction cup nicked from the kitchen or bathroom.
Will take the covers off as clean as a whistle, without any damage.
Same goes for removing the centre wheel caps.
Ah right, had a quick look at it a few months ago, couldn't see an easy way into it without causing damage so left it alone. The local garage couldn't get into it either, so at least it wasn't just me!

Yeah, I did want an EX but there weren't many in my price range at the time. Had to settle for one with a few defects but the seller could have been more honest and I could have been more vigilant, might have got a bit more off.

There must be someone else with a few unsolved problems, I can't be the only one!!

·
A/C fixer-upper'er
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks discus, plenty to do already but you've got me looking through Mr JPs attractive light packages. They do look very good, just got to justify £90 on lights that are already mostly perfectly adequate...

·
Supporter
641 Posts
Done -
Fixed all interior rattles
Had a couple of scuffs touched up on alloys.
Upgraded bulbs

To do -
Replace standard head unit as cd player is knackered.
Treat the grey trim as its looking a little worn and a bit crap.

Everything else I've done is an upgrade because I wanted to. I believe I got a good car which was loved by its previous owner.
It's (touch wood) the best car I've ever owned

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
The rear interior light is a bit tricky, the way in isn't where you think. That's why the sucker idea is a good one. Replace the standard bulb with a white LED, make the interior look much better than the standard yellow bulb.

Have a look on eBay for pats like your fog lamp, people are always selling them on there.

·
A/C fixer-upper'er
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wow, you guys drive a hard bargain! Ok, ok, it's only a fiver so will sort it tomorrow morning (paypal accepted?) quite good value considering!

I imagine an LED lamp would last far longer, or do they burn out like filament lamps - think I remember from course notes that LED lifespan was regarded as the time until the brightness dropped below 80% of original.

Ordered a cheapie replacement fog light housing off amazon for £45, might not be as good as OEM part but hopefully once a set of wanner69s fog light protectors are fitted they should be reasonably robust.

Hullcivic, good work so far - you reminded me my alloys want sorting, wondered about darkening the colour of them at the same time, nothing too drastic but I think the silver looks a bit too stark against the NHB (when theyre clean anyway). Lucky you getting a preloved car, mine must have done 20k a year, and going by service history it only ever visited a service bay every 12.5k for any work at all. A fixer-upper perhaps?

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
the service regime is every 12,500 miles or 12months whatever comes first so it sounds like its been done exactly when it should have been....

·
A/C fixer-upper'er
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
the service regime is every 12,500 miles or 12months whatever comes first so it sounds like its been done exactly when it should have been....
Sorry, should have clarified - it doesnt appear as though its been in for anything else, for instance for brakes or clutch to be replaced at any time (which is somewhat worrying), nor for any work other than routine servicing, but hopefully its just poor record keeping from the previous owner. I keep everything, receipts for new bulbs, wipers, any garage work, parts etc. but the previous owner hasnt been so diligent.

Still, it was cheap so mustnt complain!

·
Supporter
641 Posts
Aye, it even came with receipts and dealers invoices etc for work and checks that had been done on it. Part of the reason I bought it

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
A/C fixer-upper'er
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good mate, don't think I will buy a car without full history again, but then again I am a tight fisted Aberdonian with deep pockets and short arms!

Speaking of which, I've stumped up the £5 for a sticker and membership of the forum.

Took a while to work up the trust to use Paypal again after my account was defrauded last year for a few hundred, but just logged back in for the first time in months and found the postal address of the guy who must have done it, so guess who's getting a box full of white dogsit posted to his house.

Give you a clue, he's called Mr Danyal Shilpesh-Patel, lives in London, and I'd never heard of him until i got an email from Paypal in October thanking him for his custom. He might regret it yet!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts