2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This subject has probably come up many times, but how can Mugen justify the cost of their parts. Say you bought a Fn2 for £10,000 then added :

Mugen suspension : £2016.00
Mugen full exhaust system: £2486.40 + 3333.12
Mugen intake system : £1182.72
Mugen brakes: £5349.12 (front only :eek:) + £1000.00 (rear pads and lines)
Mugen areo parts ( required for brakes): £1075.20 ( dont know if thats each?)
Mugen wheels (required for brakes): £940.80 (each)

Could list very mugen part and price, but what im getting at is these parts alone are £20,000. So after youve bought the car and parts you have spent 30k!!

So why not spend the 20k on an Evo X Fq330 (That was a 10 plate with 9k on the clock) and use the other 10k as running costs?

If you bought every mugen part then im sure you would be in the 40k price range......thats GTR money!

The 3 mugen parts that I think are a joke are the:
Brakes >5k
Spark plug cover >£300
Spoiler >1k

Why are these part so exspensive when the raw materials are cheap ???

Dont get me wrong I love the FN2, but cant justify spending this kind of money on mugen parts when you can but a better car, like an Evo or GTR !

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Spark plug cover >£300
Fully agreed. How can it be justified to ask £300 for a part that offers ZERO additional function or performance, and can't even be seen most of the time?

I think going Mugen is definitely something led by the heart rather than the mind... [smilie=hearts.gif]

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I must agree some of it is silly money, but at the same time all I have seen is praise for the quality so I suppose it's a case of your paying for the quality

I really want a rear wing but I know that if I order one the other half will castrate me

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
It is ridiculous, it's to recoup the cost of the research which goes into their projects I guess and if there are people stupid enough to pay it... why would they stop?

Luckily I think most of the Mugen aesthetic stuff looks stupid, so I'm not inclined to cough up anyway! Rear bumper/splitter is the only thing I'd go for and even then it's only marginally nicer looking than the much cheaper GP rear IMO.

·
The Party Organizer!
734 Posts
As I said before, Mugen is a classic example of a "Veblen good". In a nutshell: the higher the cost, the more desirable it becomes!
Not to me though! I'm not a big fan of the splitters, the bonnet is "so-so", etc. The ONLY Mugen part I would consider buying is the rear wing, but I don't see this happening in the near future!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
it's to recoup the cost of the research which goes into their projects I guess and if there are people stupid enough to pay it... why would they stop?
Definitely more of the latter than the former.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
The simple answer to this is if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it.

·
The Party Organizer!
734 Posts
The simple answer to this is if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it.
If we all took this "if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it" approach, we wouldn't have a forum, would we? The idea of a forum is the interchange of information and experience, and that includes giving your opinion...

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
True, but each person has their own perception of what is expensive. For me personally, Mugen is too expensive. I've got HKS, Eibach and a few other bits and bobs but nothing Mugen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.