2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

I am newly registered, but from purchasing my 1.8 Honda Civic three weeks ago I am a regular viewer on the site.

I love the motor but there is one problem in my opinion...
When going over speed bumps, anything over 15mph the bottom catches, whether it be on the splitters in front of the front wheels, or on the steel frame to protect the underside of the car. The missus' lives on a farm, and the road up there has many bumps and channels..I can hear the Civic cry whenever it catches.

Don't get me wrong I do not nail it along the lane, as I want to protect my new purchase. Does anyone have a solution to these problems, and no I cannot get a new missus before anyone mentions that!

I currently have the standard alloy wheels on at the moment; I am looking to purchase some new ones in the VERY near future and was wondering if a size upgrade would help the situation?

Thanks for reading guys.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I have scraped the cover under the engine a couple of times since I lowered it by 25 mm. Horror each time :)

·
Premium Member
19,185 Posts
Personally I have never had a problem with the speed bumps over here. Do you have a lot of heavy things in the car?

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
hi i once had a megane that done this every speed bump it would make a sound without fail ,two things to check one being the bump stops and secondly take your front wheels off and check the inner wall of your tyres and see if you have any splits in them ,i had mine replaced and the sound stopped.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only heavy thing I carry is myself...and I haven't put on that much weight.

I will post a photo next Friday once I am back from Uni.

I managed to temporarily solve the situation by driving no faster that 4mph, and not going over them central, yet this means that the skirts do catch.

Would bigger wheels fix this problem? As I gather this increases the gap from the floor?

Cheers

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I had the same problem with one of the mud flaps on a 1.4 06. The CTS doesn't have the same problem as the flaps look different from what I remember, so might be worth checking that it's not these? It wouldn't make any difference how slowly I'd go, some bumps would always catch.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So from the attached photograph..on the presumption I had attatched it correctly, are the arrowed objects which are catching.
Cheers

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.