2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
regrets his username
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been reading about the release of the new type r with a concept in 2013, 210bhp with a turbo :confused: im sure the fn2 is pulling in just over 200bhp as standard, 0-60 6.5 secs which is slower than the fn2, here's me thinking it could be something special.
Said artical with a picture:
Honda has approved a new Civic Type R and a concept is expected at the Geneva Motor Show 2013. Within a year the production version will launch featuring a 2-litre turbo engine with 210bhp. This will enable a top speed of 150mph and a 6.5 seconds sprint to 60mph.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
6.5 to 60 is not slower than the current Type R, the FN2's 0-60 is more like 7.5sec. Even a Flashpro and manifold car would struggle to get 6.5sec.

I like it from the front, looks better than a 2006 FN2, although the back is yet to be seen lol

·
Jedi Knight
610 Posts
2 litre turbo @ 210bhp??? I'll stick with my Fn2 or get a Focus RS

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I have had my fn2 standard driven by a pro and timed at 6.33 for a 0-60. The book is 6.4 - 6.6 times. All engines vary

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I don't think the engine spec is known yet. There is a lot of talk about a turbo and or supercharged 1.8. Also no mention on vehicle weight or power. It is speculation. I think it would be safe to say they will compete it with rivals such as the Focus ST, Golf GTI etc.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The fn2's 0-60 is deffo quicker than 7.5 especially the ones fitted with a diff.

Sat in the new car today, materials inside are deffo better quality dash much soft plastic used. Front end looks nice but the rear is horrible

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
I like the look of it (I do know that its just a mock up) ..... TBH I'm not bothered about top end bhp figures and 0-60 times, as long as it handles and sounds as good as my current FN2 I'll have one in a shot.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
If it's 210 bhp it would be interesting to see what it could safely be wound up to.

The reason for the turbo in the first instance is to up the torque so the gear ratios can be lengthened and economy improved, they obviously aren't too bothered about peak bhp figures or sprint times.

If it comes properly set-up, with a diff and decent brakes it might be a really fun car to drive. Whether I'd part with my FN2 for one is another matter though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't forget If it's a turbo it's gonna be able to be remapped alot better than an fn2 (I'd guess 250bhpish) and as said a shed load more torque

·
Obsessive Modder
2,283 Posts
Its not all about bhp :) thats a pretty ggood 0-60, i heard rumours of a 1.8 turbo but im starting to think thats less likely

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
I'm not sure what to make of it at this point.
I'd like to see a 3-door variant, but still don't think it'd look as nice as the FN2.
Would be nice to have the higher quality interior though.

·
regrets his username
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Auto express write up says alot more and has a rear shot (only available in 5dr :( but mugen is already planning their tune up :)). I quite like the look from these pictures looks a beast:

Hot hatch Honda legend is set to return – and the new Civic Type R will have a turbo engine

The next Honda Civic Type R will not only be the fastest version yet – it’s tipped to be Honda’s first-ever turbo road car. And our sources in Japan say tuning expert Mugen is already well underway with development.

The Type R has already achieved cult status in the UK – Europe’s biggest hot hatch market – thanks to its combination of a high-revving naturally aspirated engine and aggressive styling. But in order to meet emissions regulations, this latest model will tweak the formula slightly.

Instead of the previous 2.0-litre naturally aspirated engine, it will use a 2.0-litre turbo designed to comply with Euro V emissions regulations. A similar engine will feature in Honda’s 2012 British Touring Car Championship challenger.

Adding a turbo will give more torque lower in the rev range, so a higher gear can be used more often to boost efficiency. Stop-start is also likely to be fitted.

Just as VW hiked power with its latest Golf GTI, so Honda will increase the Type R’s output – but not by much. A figure of 210bhp would allow a 0-62mph time of less than 6.5 seconds and a top speed approaching 150mph.

Based on the new Civic seen at last month’s Frankfurt Motor Show, the Type R gets the standard car’s front grille, slim headlights and LED daytime running lights, although most of the bodywork will be uprated.

A front end with large mesh air intakes, a lower chin spoiler and chunky side skirts will boost the visual impact, while a rear diffuser and extended spoiler aim to increase stability at high speeds. Also helping the car’s balance in corners is the standard Civic’s longer, wider chassis; this should also improve ride comfort and grip.

Don’t expect refinement to match a Mercedes S-Class, however. The Type R has always been an extreme proposition and that’s the way it will stay.

The steering is set to be pin sharp, while the six-speed manual box will use a stubby gearlever for snappy changes. Plus, the suspension will be firm, to cope with track work as well as blasting down B-roads.

In a break from tradition that matches the turbocharged Ford Focus ST – a key competitor for the Type R – Honda will offer the car as a five-door only. Prices are expected to start from around £23,000 when it arrives in 2013.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts