2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone honestly tell me if they would happily own their Civic for the 10 years or would you change before then?

If so why would you change?

Are they worth keeping for that long??

The reason why i sak is that if i buy a new one, it would be for the long term would they last that long??? is it worth it??

Would like to engage peoples opinion of this to see if the new civic is built to last that long.

ps. if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move.

thanks
dingbat75

·
Banned
477 Posts
Within 10 years, more energy-efficient cars will be on the market. Why not buy one if the looks and design compete with our Civics? I for one, do not like Prius lines but Honda has made very good concepts like FCX. So why not buy one?
And only God knows where the future electronics and technology will lead us to.. There may be many items on future cars that it may be impossible to resist to buy.. Who knows?
Currently, Civic is more than enough. But in its time, Ford model-T was more than enough too...

·
Registered
44 Posts
My previous car was a Mazda MX-6, I bought it new in 1992 and kept it for 15 years

It was a great car to drive when new and still felt as good 15 years later. I know after 15 years, technology had moved on, but as it was very reliable and still fun to drive, I didn't feel the need to change it, but I thought I'd change before old age took over.

I've only had the Civic for 4 weeks, but it is almost as much fun to drive, it may not last 15 years, but maybe it will still be with me after 10.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've given this some thought as well. I have a 1.8 SPORT civic and I'm not sure what that means anymore. Since I've owned it a Type-S and a Type-R have entered the market.

I would probably keep my car for 7-10 years thanks to Honda build quality. So long as the car doesn't suddenly look 'dated'. You know how cars that are a bit out there aesthetically 'futuristic' may suddenly look abit daft. God forbid that ever happen here.

Somewhere along the line I might trade in my civic for a Type-R with all the bells and whistles hopefully Honda might make a few revisions to the problems/bugs in the earlier models such as the gear box and paintwork to make the car perfect.

Apart from that can't imagine swapping it anytime soon. (unless a new-new golf blows my socks off) or if I win the lottery and start looking at supercars. Both a little far-fetched.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Apart from that can't imagine swapping it anytime soon. (unless a new-new golf blows my socks off) or if I win the lottery and start looking at supercars. Both a little far-fetched.
The lottery sounds more probable...

Getting back on the subject.
I would worry about what a Civic looks like after 10 years and how the various electronic toys work.

But, this is true of many cars today I am afraid.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I intend keeping mine for 10 years.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I'm afraid in 10 years the ecoterrorists will force each one of us to change our cars several times, because everyone of them calculates how much CO2 a car produces, not how much is spent on the production of a new one. There is also another side to it, and that's why the industry plays the same game: _big_ money that they all make with intimidating the public here and not giving a sh.t about the CO2 emissions of their Chinese production sites.

"don't steal, the government hates competition"

and think twice before investing too much in your cars - you might not be able to keep them for long (Euro-5, Euro-6...)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I personally dont think that many cars built today will last 10 years (to my satisfaction, atleast)
I love my civic and for various financial reasons I'll probably be keeping it about 4 years (unless something changes my mind) - by which time it'll be 5 years old and probably in my view starting to get a bit tired.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah if you really want a car to last 10 years you really need to get yourself a timeless classic (a mini perhaps... then again perhaps not).

Fate of the world really - product lifespans get shorter and shorter and cars are no exception.

As far as eco-laws future bans/fines/penalties are concerned I don't think it would affect a car purchased PRIOR to the introductions of those regulations so it shouldn't affect your decision to buy really (unless you live in london and have a 4x4) but any similar schemes would be against all petrol guzzling cars in general. Maybe you're better of just getting an oyster card.

As far as build quality is concerned - good for 10 yrs i reckon (ask your gran about her old honda).
Looks? - Touch and go.
For everything else? - theres Mastercard?

Invest some time taking car of your and it'll treat you with the same respect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts