·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good line for a song, or indeed for a Harley, BUT

My side mirrors make things look a lot further away than
a) the internal mirror (when you can see past the wing), and
b) more importantly, they really are.

Noticed it a couple of time on motorways when looking to pull out into lane 2 or 3

Check the (side) mirror - BIG gap
Check the (internal) mirror - hang on, he's a lot closer already!
Check the (side) mirror again - now he's dropped back - what's going on?

I'd say there was a big difference - almost dangerously so for people just relying on the side ones.

PS - I have obviously missed out the life saver check as it's not relevant to the discussion, but yes, I do :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

Stands to reason why driving instructors teach drivers to use at least 2 mirrors - starting with interior mirror first as it gives a true(r) image in relation to distance, as this glass is flatter. Generally door mirrors are made to maximise vision available by using glass which is more convex and makes things seem further away.

Frequently all three mirrors are checked especially in slower traffic or when driving in lanes.

Mirrors should also be checked at least every 6 - 10 seconds and more frequently when driving faster.

Vision in Civic doormirrors is very good compared to most other vehicles.

Hope this helps?
Brian

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
TTDegs said:
good line for a song, or indeed for a Harley, BUT

My side mirrors make things look a lot further away than
a) the internal mirror (when you can see past the wing), and
b) more importantly, they really are.

Noticed it a couple of time on motorways when looking to pull out into lane 2 or 3

Check the (side) mirror - BIG gap
Check the (internal) mirror - hang on, he's a lot closer already!
Check the (side) mirror again - now he's dropped back - what's going on?

I'd say there was a big difference - almost dangerously so for people just relying on the side ones.

PS - I have obviously missed out the life saver check as it's not relevant to the discussion, but yes, I do :D
Yeah but you know what the situation is - you only need to notice the difference ones. When I'm passing someone I always wait until i can see them in internal mirror before I rejoin their carriageway.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Never had a problem!
Just drop a cog and floor it :wink:
It used to be 2 but with the diesel one is enough if needed at all.

·
Registered
189 Posts
for work i have always (until recently) had vans with no rear windows and drive relying mostly on side mirrors, I have found no problems with the civic and find them very good.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seem to have not explained myself very well, sorry! :oops:

yes, the mirrors are great.

Yes, I also check I can see cars in the internal mirror before pulling back in.

Yes, I am constantly checking my mirrors to see what's going on behind - helps when planning ahead for that overtake.

And yes, dropping a cog or two does help :twisted:

In fact - YES to everyone, couldn't agree with you all more :D

However, what I was trying to comment on was the massive difference in perceived distance / gap betwen the internal and side mirrors.

I've driven one or two cars in my time (and the last 4 have been from brand new), and I can honestly say that none of them exhibited anything like as much of a difference.

Gaps that register in my mind (my mind making a judgment call based on waaaay to many years experience) as being 'plenty big enough' to overtake in (when viewed in the side mirror) actually equate to 'bloody hell, I've cut him up!' in reality.

Not that I have done yet, but only because I also check the internal mirror and chuck a quick life saver in before pulling out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think you learn to adapt automatically. When I first got the Jag, the interior mirror was asymmetrical, so it squished cars down vertically, so they looked meaner and sportier (well, most cars, anyway :wink: ). After I'd had the car about six months, I suddenly realised that cars looked perfectly normal my eyes were compensating automatically. :lol:

·
estranged
391 Posts
The contrast in perceived distances, using all mirrors, is quite noticeable on the Civic... certainly compared to my Mondeo. Having said that it doesn't take too long (or too many cut up cars) to get used to it :)

A lot of cars in the US, especially hire cars, have little stickers on the driver's side mirror warning that 'Objects may be closer than they appear'. The European way is to frighten the driver when they pull out in front of someone and get flashed/waved at.. much more memorable (and therefore efficient!).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Another cunning reason for the position of the spoiler - you can't see them flashing or waving so you drive on oblivious to the fact that you've just cut someone up. Great thinking Honda !!!

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers all :D

Glad it's not just me! :lol:

I'm sure I will get used to it, but at the moment my 'auto brain adjust' is still set for my previous 10 cars where the difference wasn't as pronounced :)

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Reminds me of when I used to drive a van (no interior mirror) with magnifying wing mirrors. The number of times that I reversed into big gaps then found that they were not that big after all and coundn't open the door to get out :oops:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cad said:
A lot of cars in the US, especially hire cars, have little stickers on the driver's side mirror warning that 'Objects may be closer than they appear'.
No offence meant - but thats typical for america!

No doubt if they didnt put that, someone would take the car manufacturer to the small claims court and sue them...

I can see it now... "Your honour, I cut him up because he looked far away in the mirror... now i'm traumatized for life! (note the wrong spelling!!!)

Someone tell Bill Gates there is no such thing as "US English"...

Not that i have anything against the Americans!!! :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts