2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I'm paranoid....but when me engine is warm and I'm sitting in idle...I can just hear a faint ticking noise. You can just hear it but that's maybe because I listen far to hard for any noises etc....I don't think anyone else would notice it unless they too were listening out for something!
It's like a fast ticking noise is the best way I can describe it.
07 FN2 with 72K
Any ideas?
How is bottom end knock caused?
Can it be prevented?
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Likely to be the injectors. They're a bit noisy.

Could alternatively be valve timing - have they been checked?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No but I'm getting it done ASAP. What other symptoms could valve clearance/timing cause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
its probably loud injectors.

if the bottom end is going nothing can be done to save it, its caused by running the engine on low oil usually but can also occur after oil starvation due to hard cornering. its prevented by keeping the oil topped up and just doing the usuall service routine.

on idle my fn2 has a noticeable ticking noise and i know its 100% the injectors, rod knock will get louder and more noticeable as the revs increase and injectors will appear to become quieter. you could take a screwdriver and put the metal end on the fuel rail or somewhere near the injectors and your ear to the handle, this way you can attempt to find the source of the noise.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car isn't performing very well at the minute. Its using more fuel than normal, low end acceleration is poor, hesitates when pulling away, jerks during gear change.
Car still shifts but takes a bit more to get there....
Could this be injectors then? Or valve clearance?

I've fixed/replaced loads of stuff like intake (fitted HKS RSK), new fuel filter, regularly serviced, new o2 sensor...

Now I'm thinking could be injectors, valve clearance or brake calipers sticking (have had issues with brakes had both refurbed and still catching a bit but not sure if enough to cause this)

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
When were the valve clearances last done?

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
an intake will at worst only cause flatspots, and the rsk is well known for not needing to be mapped onto the car. have you had the car plugged in to read codes and sure your not just being paranoid.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
an intake will at worst only cause flatspots, and the rsk is well known for not needing to be mapped onto the car. have you had the car plugged in to read codes and sure your not just being paranoid.

Depends on the car. Some need mapping to get rid of flat spots and hesitation. Others don't. just down to luck really.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Valves most likely.

Other causes can be belt pulleys / tensioners although valves are the number one cause. I don't have the R so don't know about injectors, but they seem to be up there as well. Assuming the R isn't hydraulically adjusted for valve spacing, a trip to a dealer for a service with specific mention of the fact that the valves might need adjusting / the ticking should cure it.

Low end knock tends to be more of a deep rumble from memory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts