2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The steering of the 328i is so light and fingertip easy, the accelerator so delicate underfoot, the gearbox so smooth in its machinations, you almost feel like a passenger in the car as it wafts gracefully from one destination to the next." wrote Autocar on the new 3 series.

So in case of a Beemer, light steering and isolation is good. In case of a Civic, light steering and isolation is bad.

Hmmm...

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
In the BMW this is seen as a positive, as most people seen to be driving one are quickly tarred with a very specific brush. Therefore, BMW have gone to such lengths to make the driver feel so detached from the vehicle that he doesn't even feel like he's in control, thus mentally, making him feel like a passenger and increasing his morale for the entire day.

It's either this, or BMW paid Autocar alot more for their article

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
In the BMW this is seen as a positive, as most people seen to be driving one are quickly tarred with a very specific brush. Therefore, BMW have gone to such lengths to make the driver feel so detached from the vehicle that he doesn't even feel like he's in control, thus mentally, making him feel like a passenger and increasing his morale for the entire day.

It's either this, or BMW paid Autocar alot more for their article
marketing guff doesnt cover up all the facts lol

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Sold my 2008 3 Series tourer a few months back. It was a petrol direct injection Efficient Dynamics model, which meant electric assist steering. Something which most new car buyers are going to have to get used to - including the new Civic. It saves too much power to be ignored by car manufacturers.

3 Series is a superb drivers car, no doubt. The handling is super stable and slick. The electric steering gives a bit of a artificial feel about it though. I find the Civic's quicker, more natural feel, more entertaining.

The Civic could do with the torque from the direct injection though. Maybe on the next series of Honda petrol engines we will see DI, super charging and high VTEC revs....

·
shameless
532 Posts
Sold my 2008 3 Series tourer a few months back. It was a petrol direct injection Efficient Dynamics model, which meant electric assist steering. Something which most new car buyers are going to have to get used to - including the new Civic. It saves too much power to be ignored by car manufacturers.

3 Series is a superb drivers car, no doubt. The handling is super stable and slick. The electric steering gives a bit of a artificial feel about it though. I find the Civic's quicker, more natural feel, more entertaining.

doesnt the 8G have electic steering across the range? my 1.8 ex i-shift has

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Nice. Well they've done a whole better job on it than three series system. You are very aware on the beamer of the change in steering gearing at speeds as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts