2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 8 months of ownership ,i came to a conclusiuon, the fn2 its not a true type r , and the hatch civics are british designed and built, thats why we have endless troubles with it, as here we get the sedan civic too, the difference in quality is huge. unfortunatly honda sa does not import the fd2, THE REAL DEAL. i am starting to think i bought a austin rover instead of hi tec jap hatchback..

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
That's not a nice thing to say about British car building !! How Jap do you want it ???

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
The FD2 is a better car , ill just have to live with it

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the euro type r is just a marketing move from honda eu, thats all, poor built quality, how many of us can swear on it? mech problems, example, gearbox: always been the strong point of any honda, but i see many of us complaining on the third gear issue, paintwork: everything has been said on this forum, but why the other hondas built in japan have a better paintjob than the ones from swindon?or maybe workers and manegement need proper training from the land of the rising sun?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I agree, hence why soon I will be cutting my loses and goin back to the germans!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of changing it to a chw when release in sa , but tbh not worth the price , i really wish i could grey import a fd2, with the new addiction to the family i am really struggling with the car seat.

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
the euro type r is just a marketing move from honda eu, thats all, poor built quality, how many of us can swear on it? mech problems, example, gearbox: always been the strong point of any honda, but i see many of us complaining on the third gear issue, paintwork: everything has been said on this forum, but why the other hondas built in japan have a better paintjob than the ones from swindon?or maybe workers and manegement need proper training from the land of the rising sun?

I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong but surely the gearbox problems are not unique to the UK built Civic.
Its been widely reported in the USA on the Sedan.

I agree that the paint work is not good but i think that this is due to the need to use more eco friendly chemicals. Something that other parts of the world are lagging behind in.
I also regularly drive an 07 plate 5 series. The bonnet is covered in tiny stone chips.

As for the build quality - i think it is very good for a sub 20k car

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
I agree, hence why soon I will be cutting my loses and goin back to the germans!
Really..... and you were so looking forward to getting your type R.... is it really that bad ????? :(

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
If you sell a car you bought new after only a few months you most certainly will not be cutting your (financial) losses. Even more so in the current economic climate.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong but surely the gearbox problems are not unique to the UK built Civic.
Its been widely reported in the USA on the Sedan.

I agree that the paint work is not good but i think that this is due to the need to use more eco friendly chemicals. Something that other parts of the world are lagging behind in.
I also regularly drive an 07 plate 5 series. The bonnet is covered in tiny stone chips.

As for the build quality - i think it is very good for a sub 20k car
i belive the us sedan has the same k20z4 setup like the fn2, ecofriendly materials? who cares, all i know is that after 8 months my car needs the front repainted, not ecowallet friendly

·
Form & Function
233 Posts
i belive the us sedan has the same k20z4 setup like the fn2, ecofriendly materials? who cares, all i know is that after 8 months my car needs the front repainted, not ecowallet friendly
You're thalking about 2 "main" issues.
1) Stone chips
2) Third gear
2 issues and the car is still working...right ?
Knowing Honda, the third gear issue can be fixed... so the only one remaing is stone cips... and you want to sell your car for this ?
Are you sure to do the right thing?
Are you really sure that german cars are REALLY better (in building quality) than your Civic ?
My previous car was a last-gen. german car... the actual owner is now looking for a new engine.
Btw the car ( Golf MK5) had 45.000 km on its dash !
I prefer stone chips!

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
i don't think it matters whether we as individuals care about environmental issues. European manufacturers are under increasing pressure to comply with ever stricter 'green' regulations. So i think water based paints are here to stay :(

·
Registered
512 Posts
I wont be switching anytime soon. Dont get me wrong I love the car. The engine is amazing as is handling. Love the looks. However the niggles are beginning to annoy me. Such as the rubbish sound system, driving position is to high, seat adjustment, rattles and the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
I wont be switching anytime soon. Dont get me wrong I love the car. The engine is amazing as is handling. Love the looks. However the niggles are beginning to annoy me. Such as the rubbish sound system, driving position is to high, seat adjustment, rattles and the paint.
Well thats good to hear you still love the car deep down..... all this negative talk has been putting doubt in my mind about buying one

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought mine (Silver Type R GT), and 8 weeks later traded it back to Honda for a 57 Reg Accord 2.2 Gt. I couldn't stand the squeeks and rattles.

I also made a very stupid decision, spur of the moment, in buying a 2 door when I have 2 small kids with a pram.

Cest la vie..............

Thinking hard about a 5 series 530 for next year.........

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
My previous car was a last-gen. german car...
Similar here, I had an E39 520I SE (around 2K more than what I paid for my Civ', was 25K basic new). Boy did it Knock spots of the Civ, better quality of pretty much everything, and a good engine. I love my Civ, but don't me wrong, this certainly ain't a Jap car, it's as British as you can get (full of faults and no one will listen) - [I'm beginning to think Honda hired Rover's employees and parts producers LOL]. My BM' had 120K miles on the clock when I sold her and the most serious problem she had was a broken engine sensor (which cost 250 quid to fix fair do's), other than that she was fine, even a 6 tonne oil tanker couldn't kill her, now thats engineering, thing hewn from steel and rock :)

Tom

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I bought mine (Silver Type R GT), and 8 weeks later traded it back to Honda for a 57 Reg Accord 2.2 Gt. I couldn't stand the squeeks and rattles.

I also made a very stupid decision, spur of the moment, in buying a 2 door when I have 2 small kids with a pram.

Cest la vie..............

Thinking hard about a 5 series 530 for next year.........
I loved my five and would have one again in a heartbeat, just be prepared to get hassle EVERYWHERE you go.

Tom

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the think that upset me the most is that here you pay the same money of a gti,more than a focus st, almost the same of r26, so the quality should be at least the same, but its not. a fiat is better built today, can you belive it?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts