2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When jabbing the brakes in slow moving traffic, or swinging the car through 90 degrees, I sometimes hear liquid slushing around on the left side of the car. It was so noticable today my passenger asked what on earth it was. Has anyone else experienced this? The only contributing factor I can think of is that my car is 90% full of petrol at the moment, and wonder if this might be related. Is it normal to hear liquid moving around? I haven't noticed it on any of my previous cars.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yes, the fuel tank is beneath the front seats, so maximise space in the back.

I have rarely heard the fuel sloshing but that's probably because I like to listen to CDs while I am driving.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Yes indeed, after a refill you can hear the fuel.
Do not mind this at all. Just think you are on the ocean...

This clever design made space for the magic rear seats!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I have but only when I have filled up and used about 10% so your 90% is about right

·
Registered
9 Posts
It may be the fuel tank but you might want to check the passenger side door.

I noticed this 'sloshing noise' on acceleration, and whilst I initially thought it was the fuel tank, it was distinctly coming from the passenger side and was constantly the same sound regardless of how full my tank was.

Anyway, it turned out to be water collecting in the passenger side door. Water is meant to drain via the 3 black rubber bits (sorry about the technical description ;) ) at the bottom of the door and I don't know whether mine were blocked or something but when I lightly pressed on them, specifically the middle one, water came rushing out. Since then, no 'sploshing noise'!! :)

Happy days!

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may be the fuel tank but you might want to check the passenger side door.

I noticed this 'sloshing noise' on acceleration, and whilst I initially thought it was the fuel tank, it was distinctly coming from the passenger side and was constantly the same sound regardless of how full my tank was.

Anyway, it turned out to be water collecting in the passenger side door. Water is meant to drain via the 3 black rubber bits (sorry about the technical description ;) ) at the bottom of the door and I don't know whether mine were blocked or something but when I lightly pressed on them, specifically the middle one, water came rushing out. Since then, no 'sploshing noise'!! :)

Bingo! Thanks for that.

The passenger door is rarely used in my car and it's rained most days for the last week here. I opened the door and pressed the three black rubber points in sequence. On prodding the middle one I stood back in disappointment as perhaps 100ml of water spent close on two minutes draining onto the floor. There was a fair bit of it.

I'm in two minds about this. Is this a fault; or might it be described as "characteristic"?

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
JB..this could be another famous 'characteristic' of the car. My driveway is on a very slight downward slope and whenever I wash the car or it has rained, I get water collecting in both front doors. If I open the doors afterwards or reverse the car to level ground the water drains out.

If I just drive off I can hear some sloshing for a few seconds until it all clears. The rubber plugs on the underside of the doors are a slack fit as well !

·
Registered
347 Posts
Bingo! Thanks for that.

The passenger door is rarely used in my car and it's rained most days for the last week here. I opened the door and pressed the three black rubber points in sequence. On prodding the middle one I stood back in disappointment as perhaps 100ml of water spent close on two minutes draining onto the floor. There was a fair bit of it.

I'm in two minds about this. Is this a fault; or might it be described as "characteristic"?
Perhaps a "Characteristic Fault" [smilie=tongue.gif]

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Bingo! Thanks for that.

That would be a fault in my book. I assume the black vents are there to let the water out, without the need for prodding. If water is trapped in the doors I reckon they will go rusty very quickly.

Two of these vents keep coming adrift on my car, I'm thinking of removing them altogether, since they make it awkward to clean the inside edge of the doors.

·
Banned
477 Posts
Two of these vents keep coming adrift on my car, I'm thinking of removing them altogether, since they make it awkward to clean the inside edge of the doors.
But then there will be holes through which dust will collect inside the doors. And with more water coming in, there will be mud inside the doors in time...
Sometimes when cleaning, one of mine comes off too; I simply insert it back in place.. But I did not have any water collecting inside (at least, yet...)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi All,

Same symptoms happened to me today - 1st time I've heard it in almost a year of ownership. I have close to a full tank of fuel at the moment, so put it down to that, although it's not something I've noticed before. I shall now check the rubber door drain 'bungs' and see if I get wet feet!!...and I have to agree about cleaning the inside edge of the doors, the rubber bungs do get in the way, and have popped out on occasion.

KJ

·
Registered
88 Posts
When jabbing the brakes in slow moving traffic, or swinging the car through 90 degrees, I sometimes hear liquid slushing around on the left side of the car. It was so noticable today my passenger asked what on earth it was. Has anyone else experienced this? The only contributing factor I can think of is that my car is 90% full of petrol at the moment, and wonder if this might be related. Is it normal to hear liquid moving around? I haven't noticed it on any of my previous cars.
:( YES, This is water in the door!!, check the rubber drains on the inside bottom of the door in question, poke a small driver into it and it should drain.:confused:

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apparently this is now a known issue and a bulletin has been issued. I understand the rubber plugs at the base of the doors are either upside down or otherwise incorrectly installed.

Might several months of excessive water collection have caused damage though?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
related?

Not liquid, but a terrible sound when going round corners of "sliding object"
Eventually found it was ice/snow in the dip at the back of the bonnet sliding about.... Very noisy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts