2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

540miles on the clock thus far; had my car almost two weeks now and have yet to Vtec...:(

I'm off to the east coast of Scotland (early) on Saturday to put my new baby through her paces...85 miles before the V-zone...

My CTR is having the same effect on me that my KX250R motocross bike had in the first few months of ownership; obsession!

This weekend is going to be memorable :eek:

K

·
Wheel Man
169 Posts
I vtec'd mine pretty early on. It won't do it any harm I wouldn't think.

The engine loosened up a hell of a lot after the first few hundred miles. I've racked up 2400 or so now... they are great cars.

·
Bye Bye Type R
1,198 Posts
i was told by the dealer that there was no run in required, im upto around 400 miles and have used the vtech on a fair few occasions. I know there are alot of different opinions on this. I was hoping that using the vtech would brake the car in properly but only use it once the car is warm. Just hope im doing the right thing

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
i was told by the dealer that there was no run in required, im upto around 400 miles and have used the vtech on a fair few occasions. I know there are alot of different opinions on this. I was hoping that using the vtech would brake the car in properly but only use it once the car is warm. Just hope im doing the right thing
You are, I totally disagree with avoiding VTEC all together during running in, as did my dealer and Honda UK technical team, in my opinion a varied run in with VTEC should be employed.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Oh what fun you will have!!! Turn the stereo off, it will probably be redundant for the next month or so. I bought mine with 1500 miles already on it so tested the v-tec when i test drove it. One of the reasons i bought it was the noise and surge in power you get from it.

I had a turbo Golf for a while and much prefer the higher reving v-tec.

Have fun.

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
I agree the Mr JP, i've used the full range of rev's from the start only waiting for the engine to get to temp. Done over 900 and haven't lost a drop of oil and it feels faster now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I seriously hope a run in is not required.

I've burnt up 1/2 tank of petrol in 90 miles 'cause I keep redlining it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was given exactly the same advice and drive the car how you want to as they don't need running in.I took it easy for around 200 miles just running smoothly into the v-tech after that straight up to red line.I havn't used a drop of oil in over 2000miles.
Some people will do what they are advised and others do what they read one thing i will say is within 100 miles your going to be addicted.:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for the reassurances everyone. I'm new to Hondas and so I was merely erring on the side of caution with regard to running my car in...last car was a SEAT Leon 1.4S (whoopey-do...all of 80bhp!)...quite a step up (in the right direction lol!)...

That's it decided then, warm her up then take her to the VTec zone once road conditions allow. Have had the car rev up to 5K rpm before now, but (needlessly it seems) restrained the fun, not for much longer.

The itch will well and truly be scratched lol!

K

·
Bye Bye Type R
1,198 Posts
i have just switched on the Vtec light, after going through the settings, puts a smile on my face when i see that light

·
Registered
790 Posts
well my car has done 500 miles getting her out of the garage and taking it out for a damned good vtec session on saturday!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm hooked on this car, only one problem, however....

* I keep over-cooking it over-taking Nissan Micra drivers...I've gotta get a better handle on the devilish Type R character...:p

Loving every minute :)

K

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi

girly question... What is vtec? Just something for the type R drivers?
I've got 1.4 and it says ivtec in the back window... Is that a mini version of what you get? And what is it actually? I've read the wiki on it but I'm no wiser...

·
Registered
36 Posts
i've dipped into the V-Tec a couple of times now when conditions have neccesitated if you know what i mean, but I'm trying to follow the running in procedure as described in the Wiki. Before joining this forum I had determined from a fair amount of personal experience and research that the described way [in the Wiki] is the best way to run in an engine, and you have it spot on.

I agree with what others say that these engines do not NEED to be run in, but there ARE still an extra few horses and MPG to be gained by doing it properly [or to be lost by not]. It just depends whether you really care at the end of the day, each to their own ;)

After 600 miles I am averaging 35 MPG with half throttle acceleration most of the time up to 5000 RPM. Although I'm sure this will go down once I decide it's time to unleash the beast on a regular basis!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi

I've got 1.4 and it says ivtec in the back window... Is that a mini version of what you get? And what is it actually? I've read the wiki on it but I'm no wiser...
Funny things happen to a type-r engine at 5400rpm. Switch over from low cam to high cam.

Plug one of those in, and the hilarity kicks in early. http://www.civinfo.com/forum/tdi-north/17972-hondata-reflash-fn2-fd2.html

I don't know what ivtec is on a 1.4. sorry.

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
Hi

not sure about the 1.4 but the ivtec in the 1.8 works for economy at lower revs (those in the know please correct me if I'm wrong) and the type R the vtec kicks in at 5400 rpm for performance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts