2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

3041 - 3060 of 3134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,122 Posts
Cheers, that's the wife's and she'd be hard pressed to notice a flat tyre let alone soft handling.
That said it only has 55k on the clock and handles very nicely on Bridgestone Driveguard run flats.

·
4,016 Posts
Hi Diddles. The Photobucket copyright thingy is completely obscuring your bonnet in your latest pic.
Please re-post using the same technique as your previous super pic.

Why would you want to do anything to a bonnet that shiny anyway?:eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Diddles. The Photobucket copyright thingy is completely obscuring your bonnet in your latest pic.
Please re-post using the same technique as your previous super pic.

Why would you want to do anything to a bonnet that shiny anyway?:eek:
I hope they are working now. I did it because my bonnet is a mess, nice and shiney but have clear coat damage. The camera does make it look worse and you can't see it from a few feet away.

·
4,016 Posts
Ah, I see, and s I said above, The Photobucket trade mark overlay is screwing up your pics. If you want people to be able to appreciate them, then use a different host.

·
4,016 Posts
Not sure what you did before, but the one that you posted 5 days ago (low down front shot) was perfect and was the one that I was commenting on earlier.
Latest ones are OK now. What did you do?

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
So this is something I've wanted to try and fix since owning the car and a problem which plagues most mk8 Civics. Rear spoiler lacquer peel.

Initially I really wanted to re-lacquer the spoiler with a 2K clear from a rattle can. I've used these on other projects in the past with good results but I was worried in case the 2K would react badly with the spoiler. So I did a small test patch 24 hours prior to see how it might go. I didn't spend too long prepping the area because either way it was gonna be redone anyway for the full spoiler.

You can still see a faint white edge between where the peeled/unpeeled original lacquer is even though the area was sanded beforehand. Because of this it soon became obvious that to make a decent job of re-lacquering the spoiler the whole thing would need sanding back, completely removing all of the original finish. However, I don't know what Honda used to clear coat the spoiler but by hell that stuff takes ages to budge without resorting to really coarse grit sandpaper or power tools. Not impossible, but it was going to take way more time to prep the thing than I accounted for.

So onto plan B, just give the spoiler a polish up to at least make it much more presentable than it was. I gave the affected area a wet sand going from 600 to 1200 grit and then out with the buffer and farecla cutting compound. A few minutes later and although far from perfect, overall it is much improved. You can still see the edge where the original lacquer remains which is why to do what I originally wanted would require much more time and effort. I definitely think using a 2K clear rattle can would work though without too many issues but that's for another day maybe.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Lacquer has come off my spoiler and that looks a huge improvement. Will get a can of lacquer and do mine over the summer.

Nice job, looks way better. (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Replaced the front shocks, top mounts, drop links and ARB bushes the other day, massive difference. Today I went to change the rear axle bushings equipped with a comprehensive bush pulling kit. Got the big bolt out, dropped the shock from the top, realised I didn't have a big enough drift to pull the bush into. Went to put it back together and dropped the shock nut down the inside of the boot trim, cue an hour stripping out the boot (found water in wheel well) and then the ratchet ring popped out of my spanner while doing up the shock, then noticed my exhaust hanger had snapped off the exhaust when putting the wheel back on then I stood on my vape and broke it. Not a happy camper. Still need to change those bushings. If anyone has any idea what I could use to pull those big buggers into I'd appreciate it.

3041 - 3060 of 3134 Posts