2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

3421 - 3440 of 3485 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Squeezed 41 mpg out of a tank of fuel, indicated 45 mpg but my own calculations said it was slightly lower...

Still a great figure as I was used to 26mpg from my previous daily car :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
8th Gen oil and filter using Mobil 1 0w-20 and genuine honda branded filter. I have two big wood offcuts off a joist timber that i drive the car onto which raises it enough for easy access.

·
Registered
163 Posts
8th Gen oil and filter using Mobil 1 0w-20 and genuine honda branded filter. I have two big wood offcuts off a joist timber that i drive the car onto which raises it enough for easy access.
How goes the car on 0w-20?

I went from 5w-30 to a 0w-30 and the engine seems to run a lot quieter. Still a bit of clatter but I'm probably too judgemental over an ordinary 4cyl engine.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
interesting - I recently went from 0w20 to 5w30 in my 9th gen & the 5w30 seems quieter to both me and Mrs Hicks lol - maybe it is all in the mind 🤣

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,423 Posts

Changed my cabin filter after pulling out for a nosy on how it was doing. Need to look up when this was supposed to have been swapped on a service. She’s had three services so I’m gonna guess every two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,423 Posts

Read my manual for the satnav. Didn’t know I could do this.
The speed matches my dashcam speed. So my car over and increases the faster I go by 4mph at 70 registered on car dash when dashcam giving 66mph.

·
Registered
163 Posts
interesting - I recently went from 0w20 to 5w30 in my 9th gen & the 5w30 seems quieter to both me and Mrs Hicks lol - maybe it is all in the mind 🤣
For me it might have been the gloopy rubbish in my car. I think the 5w-30 was a cheaper oil judging by how it sludged out the car... The 0w-30 went in like water in comparison. Dunno whether to go up to 5w-30 next time or down to 0w-20...

The engine sound is louder some days than others. Purrs the most after long motorway trips.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Never used any tbh, but if I did Id use Liqui Moly tbh.
Any ideas if the 1.8 engine ok to flush? Hear horror stories of engine flushes loosening too much and ending up compromising an engine. Would assume a modern Honda engine wouldn't suffer that fate however and those stories are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I personally wouldn’t bother with engine flush stuff. I too have heard horror stories about it doing more harm than good. Regular oil changes are the best thing you can do for your engines.

·
i-Vtec
3,263 Posts
Yea but all anyone has heard is horror stories, they heard it from a mate whos sisters boyfriends best mates uncle had an engine seize because of it. They dissolve the crud, if your engine is slugged that bad that chunks could fall off and compromise the engine, that's likely to happen anyway. Regular oil changes are the best way to prevent it, but you have to accept that that may not have happened before you purchased the car. A mate of mine never services any of his cars, owns them 3 years hands them back, everytime.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yea but all anyone has heard is horror stories, they heard it from a mate whos sisters boyfriends best mates uncle had an engine seize because of it. They dissolve the crud, if your engine is slugged that bad that chucks could fall off and compromise the engine, that's likely to happen anyway. Regular oil changes are the best way to prevent it, but you have to accept that that may not have happened before you purchased the car. A mate of mine never services any of his cars, owns them 3 years hands them back, everytime.
Of all the cars I've had only a Fiat Uno has had what I would describe as engine failure. It just seemed to lose compression and died a weird death by loss of compression. Wasn't even high mileage but that's 80s design and tech for you.

Will see how the car seems in 6 months. Have read that some people drive a car with trash oil and do very frequent changes like after a few k or a few months then repeat for a bit. That's more expensive and labour intensive than a single flush change tho...

·
Premium Member
245 Posts

Changed my cabin filter after pulling out for a nosy on how it was doing. Need to look up when this was supposed to have been swapped on a service. She’s had three services so I’m gonna guess every two years.

You think that is bad - here is mine (self servicing now that service plan is over) - I serviced it last week -

Changed by a Honda dealer 2 years ago according to their service sheet - yeah right, robbing B*stards :mad:

PS the pic does not actually do it justice - looks dirtier in real life and it is the same colour all the way to the bottom of the folds :eek:

And yes - every 2 years according to schedule

·
Registered
803 Posts
I did mine last week only been in the car 8months took it out it was black and fell to bits

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,423 Posts
Any ideas if the 1.8 engine ok to flush? Hear horror stories of engine flushes loosening too much and ending up compromising an engine. Would assume a modern Honda engine wouldn't suffer that fate however and those stories are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Failed today at replacing OSR caliper. Hand brake cable rusted in place. Got clip out no problem but couldn't shift the cable. Big mole grips needed I reckon.

3421 - 3440 of 3485 Posts