2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

3461 - 3480 of 3497 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Changed my spark plugs today, 1st set it's had in 13 years and 60,000 miles. Pretty sure it runs smoother, I was going to to the valve clearances at the same time but it started to rain.

·
i-Vtec
3,273 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
That looks good Das - might get one of those for my Series 1 landy(s) they are a nightmare to bleed the brakes.

I assume pop a fitting onto the bleed nipple & pump away? fluid remains contained in the pot ok? what kind of pressure did it get to?

How did you find doing the clutch fluid (mine is a 9th and I *think yours an 8th but I imagine they are virtually the same?) Changing the clutch fluid is on my to do list - have been umming and ahhing if I should let honda (happiness fixed price - not the over inflated price Honda blackburn quoted me lol) do the job or do it myself..

Edit - Oh and I presume it has a one way valve in there somewhere?

·
i-Vtec
3,273 Posts
Worked ok. I was finding a lot of air coming out with the fluid, but I think this was coming from the bleed nipple threads as the pipe was on tightly. Never really looked at the pressure per se, but it was pulling good vacuum, but not to much or too quickly, the fluid reservoir is not very big so it works well. I took out 2 three quarter full pots, 1st one was black, second one lighter, 3rd was about a quarter full and I was happy it was now clear. I also used the pump to suck out the clutch fluid reservoir first. There are 3 different sized adaptors but I just pushed the clear pipe over the nipple. For £11 it did the job admirable tbh. Its going to make bleeding the brakes a lot easier too I think.

·
i-Vtec
3,273 Posts
Oh forgot I fitted Easy Eagle H7 LED's yesterday. Ones that were in I had for 2 years and bought of someone on here, and as I run with headlights all the time figured it was prudent to change to new ones. Not had a chance to see what they are like at night yet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oh forgot I fitted Easy Eagle H7 LED's yesterday. Ones that were in I had for 2 years and bought of someone on here, and as I run with headlights all the time figured it was prudent to change to new ones. Not had a chance to see what they are like at night yet.
View attachment 314976
Please update how they are, I'm interested in getting some for my fn2.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Drove the car with VSA off all day, been grinning like an idiot 😂 then got into an argument with another Fn2 on a local dual carriageway, the sound of two CTRS hitting VTEC at the same time is awesome 😎 then just to remind me that she’s a highly strung beast the Fn2’s brake limit warning things started to squeal on my way home from work as if to say “you’ve had your fun now get your hand in your pocket” 😂 still loving her tho 👍🏻

·
Registered
175 Posts
Changed the clutch fluid using a cheap ebay vacuum pump. Worked quite well.

That pump works well enough. So far I've done my clutch and the brakes on my Dad's Mk5 Golf. The Golf needed almost 500ml+ drained from it but Honda decided in their wisdom to keep the clutch and brakes separate.

Amusingly the calipers of the mk8 appear to be accessible without taking off the wheels with the 16" alloys. Although I may not be able to turn a spanner thru the spokes.... I really should do my car's brakes but I did my Dad's first as he doesn't understand anything about cars nor will he do any work on it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Gave my car an oil and oil filter change. Used Castrol Edge 5w30 and a genuine Honda filter. Also had a quick clean up of the undertray service cover whilst it was off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gave my car an oil and oil filter change. Used Castrol Edge 5w30 and a genuine Honda filter. Also had a quick clean up of the undertray service cover whilst it was off.
The car ok with 5w-30?

Seems to be an eternal debate of 5w-30 Vs 0w-30 Vs 0w-20. Mine did run better from a change to 0w-30 from 5w-30 but that is likely due to cheap oil and an age since it was last changed than the actual grade...

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Weirdly my 9th gen is very much quieter with 5w30 - and it IS a grade recommended by Honda - not the 1st recommendation but definitely approved where 0w20 is not available. since I have a 20l tub of 5w30 from a prev vehicle I'll def be using that till it is gone - and likely after that given the engine is quieter and seems smoother with it (y)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Weirdly my 9th gen is very much quieter with 5w30 - and it IS a grade recommended by Honda - not the 1st recommendation but definitely approved where 0w20 is not available. since I have a 20l tub of 5w30 from a prev vehicle I'll def be using that till it is gone - and likely after that given the engine is quieter and seems smoother with it (y)
In the manual Honda quotes a large range of viable oils. I think the mk8 is shown to prefer 0w-20 but I don't think anything nearby that rating is going to break the car. I'll be doing 6 month changes for the foreseeable which should keep things sweet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
View attachment 314976
Do they literally just screw into the car in the place of ordinary halogen bulbs without any modifications?!

You'll have to let us know how they are!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,785 Posts
How well does that heat sink fit in the headlamp body?
I've not had to change one yet so don't know how much room there is.

3461 - 3480 of 3497 Posts