2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Changed LED interior lights (still need the vanity and boot lights LED'ed) however. Also changed gear gaitor and gearbox with some clearly fake eBay alloy special, still nicer than the stock plastic walking stick! Slipped on a leather handbrake handle to tide things over until I can be bothered to replace the whole plastic handle.

Got a leather steering wheel but the torx bolts feel like they're welded on so currently can't remove the wheel. Will have to destroy the bolts with easy outs or whatever and replace with conventional bolts maybe.

Only got a few things to do to the car really as it's meant to be a cheap run around!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Bled the clutch, took about 250ml to make the fluid turn from dark green to yellow.

Bought a vacuum pump and it seemed to do the job fine. Clutch pedal is no longer than my V6 powered other car...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Which one did you buy?
An £11 eBay special in a red case. Can't link it as I'm on my phone currently. It's a few tubes and attachments with a container then a vacuum pump. It had a few issues drawing the fluid above the clutch bleed nipple but it still managed it. I stupidly forgot to secure the detached pump and it spewed over my front bumper which was an excuse to wash the car :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Paid £100 for my local Stealer to do the valve adjustments on my 1.8 Car rattles a hell of a lot less after.

They gave the car a free health check and zero issues other than needing new tyres soon a few bulbs being out. Not bad for an 07 plate car with 110k and no SH!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Thought about doing the valve adjustment myself, my nearest Honda dealer is 25 miles away, but the engine runs absolutely silent on 0w/20.
I'm kinda time poor with a young child and having to work etc still. Also helps the nearest dealer is about 6 miles away... Engine is still somewhat noisy but likely normal as the diesel like rattle at low revs has gone away now and it's mildly pleasing for a 1.8 tepid 4 cylinder!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Mine is almost ridiculously silent, I swear there is no valve train noise, when was the last time you did an oil and filter?

Petronas syntium 7000?
Only had the car a month, oil looks fresh however and the dealer selling it claims to have just serviced it.

Guess I could change it myself as it isn't hard, I have most of the tools lying around including the lid wrench thing for the filter...

Any reason why some folk use 0-20w over 0-30w?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
That old chestnut................

I recommend Petronas Syntium 7000 0w/20, £23 ish for 5lt of the bay of E, and a K&N oil filter(HP1010) is not much more than a 'Onda one.
Well yes, I took what they said with a pinch of salt but the oil was very clean, as was the brake fluid. The clutch fluid needed a change which I've done and I'll be doing the gearbox fluid in the next week, or tomorrow if things go well.

Amusingly I got a little bit of money off the car as the speedo packed up, gave random solid read outs however it loosened itself on the drive back and has been fine since!!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Killed 3 birds with one big stone today...

Changed the gearbox oil, massive difference in gear shift and the fluid came out a bit like runny brown sauce :eek: Even had bits in it!!

I went in via the top of the gearbox, it's the bolt on it's side in the middle of the photo.

Some evidence the oil's been changed before judging by the leaks. New bolts and washers for both lower drain and top bolt too.

Changed the front grill, I didn't need to remove the bumper. The old perspex grill was snapped at the bottom lugs and one of the 10mm sheared off in my hands... Still the grill isn't going anywhere.

Need to get scrubbing as the gearbox oil leaked about 200ml onto the drive area :censored:

Finally dropped in a standard leather steering wheel in exchange for the plastic SE one. Found out that there are different types of airbag module, for late and early cars I assume as the replacement module gave errors as it had two bag plugs instead of a single one. I had to reuse my old one where the H has worn away to bare plastic... Will probably get a sticker rather than scratch around for another module.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I'll keep an eye on it yes...Easy enough to change, especially as my under tray isn't held on by much, I just bent it back :oops:

Will do the oil next week as currently 5w-30 is in it and it's been inside for about a year according to some random scribbles I've seen in my owners manual... I might go 0w-30 then 0w-20 the change after.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Cleaned the vomit from the under the back seat because my daughter threw up a month ago but I didn’t notice it had gone also under the back seats...

Hopefully at the morning it will have a dettol smell rather than the rotten air I breathed while I got inside after a week parked in my garage...
One of the downsides of the "magic" folding up seats, things get lost underneath there whereas most cars have a solid space... You might have to park the car in the garage with the windows open for awhile!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Quick oil change question.

Is there really any need to jack up both sides of the front for it?

I'm thinking of doing just one side, it might even be better as it'll encourage the oil to trickle out. If so what side is better to jack? I'm guessing off/drivers side for RHD as the chain is on that side so it'll help if it's raised no?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Bought a set of ramps (really needed the extenders as the plastic bumper guards scraped). Quick oil, filter and spark plug change. They needed doing as all were dirty/worn....

That injector/chain diesel like sound has reduced massively. Let's see if the fuel economy goes up!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've had to buy a headlight bulb cover off eBay as I left it off whilst the main beam bulbs were on order. Was on the engine but now it's gone...

It's probably at the bottom of the engine somewhere but I can't see it and like hell I'm jacking up the car to remove the under tray for the sake of ten quid!!

🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Removed plug and play xenon kit and replaced with H7 ultra white bulbs and side lights, same effect but no more melting lenses and bulbs much cheaper 👍🏻 Need to buy bulb covers now as these were missing, eBay here I come, just hope negativvv hasn’t beaten me to them 😂
If your car has no covers then be warned. As there are two different ones.

One is like a solid circle and the other has two large and a smaller fin.

Lings says one is about £10 new and the other £20.

1 - 20 of 514 Posts