2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
5861 - 5880 of 5947 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm not mechanically minded, I tend to leave any repairs to my garage, he does a good job and his labour rates are competitive.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
21,968 Posts
'What did I do to my car today' .......... absolutely nothing, it's still sat in the garage on 19 miles. Next journey Saturday.

At least all the settings are done, that was a marathon.

·
Super Moderator
4,016 Posts
Got the new locking wheel nut key from Honda, took the damn things off and put normal nuts on the 1.8.

·
Super Moderator
4,016 Posts
That's what I did, they'll only stop an opportunist, not someone determined to to nick your wheels.
More likely to nick the whole car as wheels aren't really worth much now unless they are something really special.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Got the new locking wheel nut key from Honda, took the damn things off and put normal nuts on the 1.8.
I removed the locking nuts from my Alfa after the socket rounded off. That car is garaged now and barely parked on the street so its unlikely someone is going to be stealing some ratty old rims that they wouldn't be able to sell on. Maybe when i get them refurbished I might invest again.

The 1.8 still has OEM wheel nuts, they're of a stronger design but frankly no one is going to steal 13+year old 16" rims with kerb rash! Unless they want my part worn Goodyear tyres but even they're only worth £200 brand new, wouldn't even get fifty quid for them sold on I imagine.

It maybe worth refreshing all the wheel nuts before they start rounding off too much as most garages treat them like $hit,

·
Registered
679 Posts
Driving betty up the M1 and enjoying the quiet n sunny road. :)

Scotch corner atm esso 95 155.9 a liter...lol 23p a liter more than i paid in derby for esso this morning.
Mad thing is its rammed with cars :O

·
Registered
70 Posts
Finally got around to fitting the Mtec grooved discs and Mintex pads all round. A couple of points: the brake discs screws are little buggers to get out. Used an impact screwdriver and still struggled. Secondly, whilst the front discs went on like a dream, the rears were a real pain. They were either fouling the bearing cap in the centre, or the edges of the hub itself. A little gentle filing and some sound abuse from a plastic mallet saw to that. I feel that maybe they’re just not machined to the same tolerances that the Honda discs are.
I replaced the screws with some stainless ones so hopefully that problem won’t come back.
Also replaced the handbrake lever after I broke the last one. A very simple job that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Too wet to do anything, so I put it on the drive to stop the local monsters on their bikes from scratching it. 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
Swapped my rear calipers for second time in 4 weeks ,new discs n pads but calipers are poor very poor .
And that's the reason I joined today ,much help is needed my way 😭

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Finally got around to fitting the Mtec grooved discs and Mintex pads all round. A couple of points: the brake discs screws are little buggers to get out. Used an impact screwdriver and still struggled. Secondly, whilst the front discs went on like a dream, the rears were a real pain. They were either fouling the bearing cap in the centre, or the edges of the hub itself. A little gentle filing and some sound abuse from a plastic mallet saw to that. I feel that maybe they’re just not machined to the same tolerances that the Honda discs are.
I replaced the screws with some stainless ones so hopefully that problem won’t come back.
Also replaced the handbrake lever after I broke the last one. A very simple job that one.

So a no to Mintex pads?

As they sell for fairly cheap as a discs/pads set on eBay...

My disc screws are utterly f**ked, I have no idea how I'm getting them out when it's disc change time.

What stainless screws did you get? I'll just be going hand tight when I do mine...

·
Registered
70 Posts
So a no to Mintex pads?

As they sell for fairly cheap as a discs/pads set on eBay...

My disc screws are utterly f**ked, I have no idea how I'm getting them out when it's disc change time.

What stainless screws did you get? I'll just be going hand tight when I do mine...
The Mintex pads are absolutely fine. No trouble at all. I’d even say they’re better than the aftermarket crap that was on there before. It was just getting the rear discs to sit flat against the hub that was the issue.
I bought a set off eBay for less than a fiver. They come with a T30 torx bit. 8x Honda Civic Brake Disc Retainer T30 Torx Screws Bolts A4 Stainless Steel | eBay

·
Registered
679 Posts
Waah plan today was jack betty onto axlestands n remove wheels to deep clean them....got up early and was greeted with monsoon like weather lol.

Oh well just have to be a slacker on my last day of annual leave :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm never fitting the front shocks to my car.

Literally anything that could stop me has...

From my other car breaking, something at work coming up, and now I was about to do them today before my Night shift but the little boy has got a sudden cough so we might need to get him a Covid test so that's maybe today out the window and can't touch the Civic until we've driven him to a test centre. I even sprayed the drop links last night in preparation...

Autumn is closing in with it's rainy and shorter days too :confused:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm never fitting the front shocks to my car.

Literally anything that could stop me has...

From my other car breaking, something at work coming up, and now I was about to do them today before my Night shift but the little boy has got a sudden cough so we might need to get him a Covid test so that's maybe today out the window and can't touch the Civic until we've driven him to a test centre. I even sprayed the drop links last night in preparation...

Autumn is closing in with it's rainy and shorter days too :confused:
Hopefully just a cough/sniffle bud, a lateral flow test at a dropin center will show resilts within 2 hours.

Fingers crossed for both mate.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hopefully just a cough/sniffle bud, a lateral flow test at a dropin center will show resilts within 2 hours.

Fingers crossed for both mate.
I think he needs the PCR as he has symptoms.

I'm double vaxxed and I'll have to do a lateral flow test before I can go to work tonight.

He's fine in himself but is back at nursery and mixing with other kids, obviously kids are kids and touch everything bless them.

Fingers crossed it's just a random cough.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think he needs the PCR as he has symptoms.

I'm double vaxxed and I'll have to do a lateral flow test before I can go to work tonight.

He's fine in himself but is back at nursery and mixing with other kids, obviously kids are kids and touch everything bless them.

Fingers crossed it's just a random cough.
Yep best off getting it checked just incase.

Ive not missed my weekly test at work being off the last two weeks, im also double jabbed. Ive also been onsite weekly since it kicked off, we make the lat flow tests.
Im the server and infrastructure monkey for the parent corp :D

5861 - 5880 of 5947 Posts