2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
7201 - 7220 of 7224 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The facelift and original cars have different mat fixings.

Our original car has the ones in the pic above where they're worn away. The one with the two open holes.

I believe the later facelift car fixes on differently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried a home spray on my other car and failed hard... Those look good from a distance and likely fine closer judging by your pics. Did you do a lot of prep work with sanding?
thanks very much (y) I used some of that demon wheels stuff then sanded them with 2500 wet and dry ( its a bit too fine but its the only stuff i had a lot of ), and used some 400 and 800 on the deeper stuff before. I also did a quick wet sand beween primer and spraying the colour on.The wheels were decent to start with which probably helped and the colour definitely helps hide a few bits too.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
thanks very much (y) I used some of that demon wheels stuff then sanded them with 2500 wet and dry ( its a bit too fine but its the only stuff i had a lot of ), and used some 400 and 800 on the deeper stuff before. I also did a quick wet sand beween primer and spraying the colour on.The wheels were decent to start with which probably helped and the colour definitely helps hide a few bits too.
This was my sole effort before I gave up...

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Granted they've gotten dirty since I did them but the colour is dreadful... I thought I rubbed them down fairly well but no good.

This was half way.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

And this was the original

Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Synthetic rubber Tread

I thought I was doing fine until it came up all flat silver... I'll probably pay for a refurbishment for that car and the Civic at some point as I felt I embarrassed myself too hard to try again.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The facelift and original cars have different mat fixings.

Our original car has the ones in the pic above where they're worn away. The one with the two open holes.

I believe the later facelift car fixes on differently.
Mine is the 2007 pre facelift version with the metal bar that comes out from under the seat with the 2 pins on to hold the mat as per the photo, yet eBay says it won't fit!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This was my sole effort before I gave up...

View attachment 325404

Granted they've gotten dirty since I did them but the colour is dreadful... I thought I rubbed them down fairly well but no good.

This was half way.
View attachment 325405

And this was the original

View attachment 325406

I thought I was doing fine until it came up all flat silver... I'll probably pay for a refurbishment for that car and the Civic at some point as I felt I embarrassed myself too hard to try again.
They dont look bad from what i can see, im not any kind of professional but the lighter colours seem to like to show up all the imperfections and my bad spraying. What lacquer did you use as im learning you need to put a few really heavy coats on after to get it looking shiny. Would love to know how much a decent refurb would cost, although not sure how that will work as i need the car during the week and havent the time to be able to drop it off for however long it may take.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
They dont look bad from what i can see, im not any kind of professional but the lighter colours seem to like to show up all the imperfections and my bad spraying. What lacquer did you use as im learning you need to put a few really heavy coats on after to get it looking shiny. Would love to know how much a decent refurb would cost, although not sure how that will work as i need the car during the week and havent the time to be able to drop it off for however long it may take.
Yeah I wanted a lighter colour to match the originals but I might Anthracite the Civic's wheels if the finish is easier when dark...

I tried a few lacquer coats, annoyingly I bought in bulk so I've got loads of random cans I don't really need. Like 4 or so of each!

I think a decent professional refurbishment is upward of £50 per wheel. Might go half way and see if a mobile van refurb would paint my wheels for me.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Gave it a wash and went for a drive today, think I'll be making a change and selling it this year or next, don't really want to but my other half is starting to really hate the harsh ride and so am I to be honest! Is a mk10 civic sport a lot more comfy than an fn2 and as reliable?

·
Heading for the naughty step
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
2,600 Posts
Gave it a wash and went for a drive today, think I'll be making a change and selling it this year or next, don't really want to but my other half is starting to really hate the harsh ride and so am I to be honest! Is a mk10 civic sport a lot more comfy than an fn2 and as reliable?
Gotta do what’s best mate, but the mk10 civic has really grown on me and I think it looks really nice in the sonic grey I think it’s called, they are really nice.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Gotta do what’s best mate, but the mk10 civic has really grown on me and I think it looks really nice in the sonic grey I think it’s called, they are really nice.
Yeah I really like that grey too, I wasn't keen on them at first but really like them now and the reviews seem really great and that 1.5 turbo engine is suppose to be fantastic.

·
Registered
CW GT
2,081 Posts
I actually had to Google goosecroft

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
lol, sorry i grew up here, moved away for 20 odd yrs but moved back few years back, parents getting older n all that, ours looks prettier n shiny-er :p

toying with a poor boys DA polisher, got couple hundred quid worth of amazon vouchers from work sitting.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
lol, sorry i grew up here, moved away for 20 odd yrs but moved back few years back, parents getting older n all that, ours looks prettier n shiny-er :p

toying with a poor boys DA polisher, got couple hundred quid worth of amazon vouchers from work sitting.
I'd definitely recommend a DA, a couple of white hex logic pads and a bottle of meguairs m205 and thats a good starter set, and a couple of black hex pads for waxes and glazes.

7201 - 7220 of 7224 Posts