2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
7881 - 7900 of 8187 Posts

· Heading for the naughty step
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,705 Posts
They are now welding a 2.5” tailpipe in the end of the 3” pipe to clear the triangles? Never heard of anything more ridiculous, surely it’s negating some of the benefit to having a 3” system. I’d rather have the triangle innards cut out.
Likely not an issue for 9/10 people that buy them, but I have hardware now for 400bhp so this £1100 ‘easy fix’ will have to be chopped up and modified.
Drone is absolutely lethal too, so another hurdle to fight past, I miss my Invidia!

View attachment 327377
View attachment 327379
View attachment 327378
I surprised they didn’t cut back the triangles and pein it back slightly, like when you take the skin of a banana(poor analogy I know, but you get the idea). Beacause that’s only around (1/8”) 3mm a side on the O/D and their is plenty of room for it from the photos, (1/8”)3.175mm if you want to be precise. That right their would drive me crazy. It still would direct the flow of the fumes away with the mod. Don’t want to sound a dick, but what’s point off having the exhaust if you have the last 4” length 2.75”. Must cause some type of back pressure build up surely. Also why didn’t they just trim a little of the end so it just entered the triangle slightly.
Any chance you could go to another fabricator who could aid you and discuss a better out come.

· Registered
Civic type R Championship white
597 Posts
I surprised they didn’t cut back the triangles and pein it back slightly, like when you take the skin of a banana(poor analogy I know, but you get the idea). Beacause that’s only around (1/8”) 3mm a side on the O/D and their is plenty of room for it from the photos, (1/8”)3.175mm if you want to be precise. That right their would drive me crazy. It still would direct the flow of the fumes away with the mod. Don’t want to sound a dick, but what’s point off having the exhaust if you have the last 4” length 2.75”. Must cause some type of back pressure build up surely.
This is exactly my point mate, it’s 2.5” crammed into the 3” end pipe.
anyway I have a plan in my head as the rest of the system is wicked love it. It’s just too loud and obviously restricting. Thankfully the tailpipe is a small section that shouldn’t cost me the east to get remade.

and definitely going to ‘skin’ that inner triangle back and have the tip slightly poking out the rear to see if that also helps get the drone out instead of reverberating back under the car

· Registered
Honda Civic type r FN2
578 Posts
This is exactly my point mate, it’s 2.5” crammed into the 3” end pipe.
anyway I have a plan in my head as the rest of the system is wicked love it. It’s just too loud and obviously restricting. Thankfully the tailpipe is a small section that shouldn’t cost me the east to get remade.

and definitely going to ‘skin’ that inner triangle back and have the tip slightly poking out the rear to see if that also helps get the drone out instead of reverberating back under the car
You don't need to have it remade, you just need a muffler that fits the gap, cut the end of the tailpipe section and push the muffler onto it, line it up with the triangle, a couple of tack welds, fit a hanger, check and it's a couple of welds.
I had to remove a chunk of the triangles heatsheild to get the tailpipe to fit at the beginning. You don't have any adjustment on it if it don't line up cos it'll catch the torsion beam
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Grille Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exhaust

I tried repacking the rear silencer (changed the tone but not the drone 😀) I put a bung in the tailpipe (made it sound awful and still didn't stop the drone) made another tailpipe myself and fitted a J pipe (this worked but is temperature driven and because the only space you can fit one is at the back of the car you find British weather isn't suitable and it stops working when it gets cold or rains)
Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Nickel Auto part Pipe

Tire Wheel Car Automotive lighting Vehicle

Attachments

· Registered
Honda Civic type r FN2
578 Posts
You don't need to have it remade, you just need a muffler that fits the gap, cut the end of the tailpipe section and push the muffler onto it, line it up with the triangle, a couple of tack welds, fit a hanger, check and it's a couple of welds.
I had to remove a chunk of the triangles heatsheild to get the tailpipe to fit at the beginning. You don't have any adjustment on it if it don't line up cos it'll catch the torsion beam
View attachment 327385

View attachment 327386
I tried repacking the rear silencer (changed the tone but not the drone 😀) I put a bung in the tailpipe (made it sound awful and still didn't stop the drone) made another tailpipe myself and fitted a J pipe (this worked but is temperature driven and because the only space you can fit one is at the back of the car you find British weather isn't suitable and it stops working when it gets cold or rains)
View attachment 327387

View attachment 327388
I ran this until October, the weather changed and I the drone started to come back, so just got a muffler that would fit and welded it onto the tailpipe (should of done this to start with) now it has no drone at all (still loud, but gets quieter the faster you go.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Getting the muffler to fit is a ball ache, most places have sold out and it needs to be a set size. I ended up getting a Vibrant muffler from Serc Motorsports, it only just went in and had to trim some of the wheel arch liner more of the heatsheild and a bit of the bumper

· Registered
1,491 Posts
I ran this until October, the weather changed and I the drone started to come back, so just got a muffler that would fit and welded it onto the tailpipe (should of done this to start with) now it has no drone at all (still loud, but gets quieter the faster you go.
View attachment 327390

View attachment 327391

View attachment 327392

Getting the muffler to fit is a ball ache, most places have sold out and it needs to be a set size. I ended up getting a Vibrant muffler from Serc Motorsports, it only just went in and had to trim some of the wheel arch liner more of the heatsheild and a bit of the bumper
Very Smart that sir I thought my 2.5 single exit was bad 😂
I did as you as installed a silencer before the exit my whole system is 2.5 inch
But the turbo downpipe is 3 inch

No question il make more power from the 3 inch as better flowing but roads round ere won't do it favours il have to speak with my local exhaust fabricator

I'm toyin with the idea of changing the final drive from that of an EP3 4.7
Will mean I can stay in boost longer as the gearing will be longer

5.8 final drive for NA I hear is an absolute riot, increased torque too

The Final drive can be had for around 150, but then you'd wanna replace all gearbox bearings another 150 then labour is 350 or so anyother issues identified when the box is apart easily budget 1k soon racks up brother

· Registered
597 Posts
View attachment 327390

View attachment 327391

View attachment 327392

Thsi is exactly what I need to do! Easiest option then sort my gearing out later down the road.
What length is your backbox mate??

· Registered
597 Posts
View attachment 327385

View attachment 327386
View attachment 327387

View attachment 327388
Btw J pipe is also something I’m looking at. What length did you do yours too??

· Registered
Honda Civic type r FN2
578 Posts

· Registered
Honda Civic type r FN2
578 Posts
Btw J pipe is also something I’m looking at. What length did you do yours too??
Unless you can suss out how to fit one near the manifold where the temperature is more consistent I wouldn't bother, mine ended up being 35" at the back, got it done September last year, all was fine until October 😔 and it didn't work as well

· Registered
Honda Civic type r FN2
578 Posts
Very Smart that sir I thought my 2.5 single exit was bad 😂
I did as you as installed a silencer before the exit my whole system is 2.5 inch
But the turbo downpipe is 3 inch

No question il make more power from the 3 inch as better flowing but roads round ere won't do it favours il have to speak with my local exhaust fabricator

I'm toyin with the idea of changing the final drive from that of an EP3 4.7
Will mean I can stay in boost longer as the gearing will be longer

5.8 final drive for NA I hear is an absolute riot, increased torque too

The Final drive can be had for around 150, but then you'd wanna replace all gearbox bearings another 150 then labour is 350 or so anyother issues identified when the box is apart easily budget 1k soon racks up brother
Next up for mine is a roof respray, then clutch/flywheel, timing chain/crank pulley and balance shaft delete (same time)

· Registered
597 Posts
This is the one I fitted
Great info and doesn’t fit bad at all!

Unless you can suss out how to fit one near the manifold where the temperature is more consistent I wouldn't bother, mine ended up being 35" at the back, got it done September last year, all was fine until October 😔 and it didn't work as well
I was trying to find the formula for how long it wants to be, so 35” is obviously pretty long obviously to hit around them 120-140hz evil drone levels

· Registered
Honda Civic type r FN2
578 Posts
Great info and doesn’t fit bad at all!

I was trying to find the formula for how long it wants to be, so 35” is obviously pretty long obviously to hit around them 120-140hz evil drone levels
I was going to use this one as it'll fit better but it's been out of stock for ages
This will just fit but will hang below the bumper
I have noticed the Vibrant muffler has gone up by £40 in just a month, but they are well made, the inside diameter is over 3", the tailpipe at the end is just a 3" rolled in stainless tip, cut down to fit and pushed in (used a bit of stainless 0.3 shim around it to make it tight)
When you get one, take it to a good exhaust fabricator, show him the pictures I've posted. Hardest bit is removing the bolts on the bumper triangle the first time (patience and plenty of oil)

· Registered
597 Posts
I was going to use this one as it'll fit better but it's been out of stock for ages
This will just fit but will hang below the bumper
I have noticed the Vibrant muffler has gone up by £40 in just a month, but they are well made, the inside diameter is over 3", the tailpipe at the end is just a 3" rolled in stainless tip, cut down to fit and pushed in (used a bit of stainless 0.3 shim around it to make it tight)
When you get one, take it to a good exhaust fabricator, show him the pictures I've posted. Hardest bit is removing the bolts on the bumper triangle the first time (patience and plenty of oil)
Saved every word and picture my friend thank you!

· Heading for the naughty step
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
1,705 Posts
View attachment 327395
View attachment 327396
Two new tyres fitted and "new" to me, Rage alloys fitted with new gloss black OE nuts and locking nuts. Car washed too, the yellow is just the reflection the the pressure washer.
What lowering springs are you running. Yours seems to be closer to the arch on the front than mine.

7881 - 7900 of 8187 Posts