2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 2014 Civic tourer 1.6 i-dtec EX is requiring a new set of front disc's and pads, i can fit them myself but i was looking for opinions of if i should fit Honda parts Vs third party aftermarket disc's and pads ? :nerd:

any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated :grin2:

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't believe Honda parts on brakes are worth the extra considering my rear from new (car) wore out at an angle (a cheese shape wedge). They are only lumps of metal and my local independent fitted Bosch disk and pads for general all-round quality and they had no problem.

Bosch/Brembo also make particular good pads, and you have to be more careful with pads because some don't wear down and some people in other forums love this! But something has to wear down meaning the disk do not last and braking performance is questionable (though I can not back this up with evidence).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update:
I managed to get a reasonable cost set of discs and pads from Flee bay (John Banks Honda), as opinions were divided and they were very close on price.

They fitted quite easily, the only sticking point i had was a seized disc screw (which i had to drill out and retap the hole) and one disc didn't seem to come off, even with push away bolts inserted, but all reassembled with lots of copper slip on all fasteners, so should be easier when the need arises again, best tip i would recommend to have a good impact driver and bit set, as this helps with the disc screws and better to replace the disc screws with Torx ones (cost about £4 again from Flee bay).

So thanks for all of your input and info, if i can help with any tips or info, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
I don't believe Honda parts on brakes are worth the extra considering my rear from new (car) wore out at an angle (a cheese shape wedge). They are only lumps of metal and my local independent fitted Bosch disk and pads for general all-round quality and they had no problem.

Bosch/Brembo also make particular good pads, and you have to be more careful with pads because some don't wear down and some people in other forums love this! But something has to wear down meaning the disk do not last and braking performance is questionable (though I can not back this up with evidence).
so many fit performance pads to road discs and don't understand
1 they need more heat to work properly than road pads
and
2 as you say they are too hard for the softer road discs and ware the discs faster than normal

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Ive fitted standard pagid discs to many cars including my own. Ive recently started using TRW Cotec/DTEC pads and they are miles better than brembo i had on there before. They're like EBC green stuff pads only a fraction of the price. Better braking, lower dust and most of them come with the spring clips and new screws for the callipers as standard.

I got two sets of pads, front and rear for £55

1 - 8 of 8 Posts