2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a my first Honda - a 9th gen Civic probably 4-5 years old with ~50-60k miles.

Are there any gotchas or common problems I should be looking out for when viewing the car?

Anything I should check the car has had done at that mileage?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ve had my mk9 for 2years now, as far as common problems I don’t think there are any.
I’ve not heard or read about common issues although my 2012 does have an appetite for oil which irks me a bit.
That may be something you need to be aware of but then again some don’t use much oil or even none at all
I’ve done 20k in mine and had no problems whatsoever with mechanicals, brake pads and tyres is all that it’s needed like any car would.
I’d say buy the best you can from Honda or a reputable company that will throw in a warranty should an issue arise.
Are you buying petrol or diesel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@flashy Thanks for the link, will have a read.

@Raeman - 1.8 petrol. Thanks for the oil heads-up, although guess there's no much you can do to look for signs of it.

I live in a city (on-street parking too :() and do around 6-10k a year so I think petrol is a better bet.

I've found one which seems to be from a reputable company, and it has a full Honda service history so think this ones a decent bet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now have two options, both 1.8 petrol:

2014 SE-Plus, 55k miles.
This one is from an independent and has a good few dents and scratches and the alloys have been badly kerbed (started to corrode under the laquer too). It drove absolutely fine, but the wheels are putting me off.

2013 EX, 50k miles.
From a main dealer and it appears to be in far better condition on the outside. Haven't driven it yet but the photos are detailed and look good.

The 2013 EX is about £600 more expensive. I'm wondering if that's worth it for the leather seats, sat nav and a full year's warranty (only 3 months from the other one). Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,195 Posts
a year older but 5000 miles less
as you have said it has leather seats as its a higher spec car and its from a dealer so id say the other from the indy seller is over priced with all the dents and scratches
the 1 from the dealer will be overpriced too as all dealers cars are
just try hard to get price down
go and test drive it but don't sound too keen afterwards
say car drives fine (if your interested) but you've looked at another cheaper and gonna go back and take another look at that 1
don't let on the cars true identity just say its similar age milage and spec

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’d pay the extra and get the dealer car.
If you buy the indy you’ll end up spending money on wheel refurb and scratch removal etc.. plus the dealer one could have a full MOT.
Be cheeky and haggle you can always get a bit knocked off.
Good luck?

·
Registered
304 Posts
There's a lot to be said for having a main dealer supply the car, you can make sure latest software updates etc done

You can usually get money off with some haggling - my mate in the trade reckons it's very quiet at the moment so might be a good time to buy

Also, a main dealer might be able to throw in a service plan, Honda warranty (which saves having to spend out on AA/RAC) and possibly other things that an indy wont be able to match. You can make sire things like the anti corrsion warranty, Honda service history etc are all up to date.

If the wheels are as bad as you say on the SE+ then the dealer has probably done the bare minimum so that doesnt bode well if anything went wrong.

Make sure any agreememnts about warranty, service plan etc are in WRITING before you sign on the line

·
Wizard
84 Posts
I have now been with my civic for a year, and covered 12k miles (23k total now).
No issues at all. It's a great car - I'm glad I went with it :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice all!

I ended up going for the 2013 1.8 EX over the 2014 SE-plus, mostly as it was from the main dealer and I felt a bit more comfortable parting with the money. Ended up getting their price down by £500 so it's near enough the same price. Picking it up in a few days as it needed a service and some paint touch ups (front and rear bumpers were a bit scratched, but they said they'll put it through the bodyshop - something the independent didn't offer) - fingers crossed it's all good!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts