2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have found the adjustment for the HID lights on my EX!

If you open the bonnet and look at the Black Plastic right above the lights there are markings with arrows.

There are 2 on each side.

Each has a semi circular arrow with 2 markings :-

One says U and D (Up and Down) with a Headlight symbol and a 10% marking. Seems to indicate you can adjust the headlight height by 10%. The adjustment is the rubber knob right by the marker.

The other marker says L and R and just behind the marker and down behind the grill is a white plastic hexagonal socket that looks like it move the reflector or bulb.

I will see if I can get some Macro shots of the markings and controls in the daylight tomorrow.

Ian

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
sounds like it might be it - or it might be an adjuster to 'tweak' the beam - nice one :D

The TT had a lever, so that it could only be in one position or the other - but I forgot to look today sorry!

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
The lamps are set during manufacture and checked at the Dealer during PDI (or they should be).
The adjustment will alter the beam pattern and may make them illegal for use on UK roads at night if mis-aligned.
Additionally the performance will be affected if not set correctly, giving poor visibilty.
The beam pattern has a LH dip which you can adjust, but only position you can't remove it (hence the use of stickers to blank it off for driving in mainland Europe). If your not careful you'll need it set at the dealer after you've had a fiddle to get it set correctly.
HID lamps have auto levelling too so be careful not to over adjust the lens.
The simplest way is to add some tape to the outside of the light, not pretty but cheap and effective whilst remainlng legal in the UK and overseas.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MC Hammer said:
The lamps are set during manufacture and checked at the Dealer during PDI (or they should be).
The adjustment will alter the beam pattern and may make them illegal for use on UK roads at night if mis-aligned.
Additionally the performance will be affected if not set correctly, giving poor visibilty.
The beam pattern has a LH dip which you can adjust, but only position you can't remove it (hence the use of stickers to blank it off for driving in mainland Europe). If your not careful you'll need it set at the dealer after you've had a fiddle to get it set correctly.
HID lamps have auto levelling too so be careful not to over adjust the lens.
The simplest way is to add some tape to the outside of the light, not pretty but cheap and effective whilst remainlng legal in the UK and overseas.
I don't intend to make any changes at all, just thought I would let people know where the control are as they seem to have been asking.

Ian

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
When my EX next goes in I'm asking for my lights to be checked, as said in other threads I find the beam cuts off way to early in front of you and unless it's a road that I know I have to drive much slower to have a chance of seeing what is coming...

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
HID headlamps and better visibility - mmmm? The difference isnt that great when its only on the dipped beam which I believe is set too low!

I believe some cars do have HID on main beam as well - curious how this works as there is a delay in powering up?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
had a good old poke round the lights today, looking for some wort of switch or lever or something - saw the adjusters mentioned above, but nothing that appears to convert them for driving on the right :(

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Miggins said:
I believe some cars do have HID on main beam as well - curious how this works as there is a delay in powering up?
I retrofitted HID's on my '97 Civic.
Used E55 Bi-Xenon projectors.
With that projectors you have low and high beam.
High beam works by giving power to solenoid which raises a flapper inside projector to release light (OK, my English sucks.. :p).
Only downfall is you cannot 'flash' with high beams if lights are off - but as it's required to have low beams always on (during day too) here, that's not an issue.
Just a hint how beams look like (first pics after install, so height wasnt adjusted than yet):

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yea Parky that is the adjustment points for the lights. I moved mines up a few turns months ago after it was obvious the lights were set too low, I couldn’t see far enough ahead on those unlit backroads, was kinda dangerous doing (cough) 60 into a blind corner and not being able to see it till the last minute :shock: but after a couple of turn on the Headlight Adjustment screws it sorted the problem......

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Just remember when setting height of lamp not to set it too high!
On low beam you do need to see end of beam, if it goes infinite (you can't see cutoff on straight road) there's very high probability you're going to blind oncoming traffic.

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Suicide!

Just drove a distance on unlit backroads last night - mainbeam was brilliant (Osram Silver Star) but as soon as I went on to dip I was praying (and thats on a road I know). I will be adjusting mine this weekend.

Due to the difference between LHD and RHD lights you would not be able to adjust them to drive on the opposite side of the road. The lenses/reflectors are handed depending on which way the beam should deflect for different 'hands' and as such aren't adjustable.

I get my bulbs from Powerbulbs.co.uk - before ordering, search for a discount code. I have managed to get 25% off :!: :D
You also get a free pair of Philips high temp sidelight bulbs per order if you order a set of headlamp/indicator bulbs (- much 'whiter' light). If you order more than one pair of bulbs - submit seperate orders or you will only get one set of sidelight bulbs. :cry:

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
No headlamp adjustment

I've just tried adjusting my headlamps using the rubber knobs identified in this post.

1 I rotated the 'adjusters' as far as they would go to raise the lamps.
2 They rotated through 220 degrees (approx 5/8ths of a complete turn)
3 Went for a test drive
4 There was no effect!

I need to delve deeper as there must be adjusters for left/right adjustment which I can not see/determine. What I can see are plastic hex head bolts (usually what are used to adjust the lamps in other cars) but these may be what are holding the lamps in place. Sometimes some adjustment is given here but the problem is alignment with the bodywork/trim.

Too dark to see :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Miggins, The adjustment is not made via the rubber knobs but by an Allan Key type screw further back and down into the engine compartment a few inches further in than the rubber thing. It was a white plastic screw head it I remember correctly, have a look just behind the rubber bits and you should see it.....I will post up a pic when I get a mo..[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Diesel Demon
502 Posts
Hello chaps,

I too have noticed the short beam length of the HID's. Had a row with the wife a couple of weeks ago and went for a quick blast down the country lanes to clear my head, and the lights aren't too inspiring!

Perhaps it's a safety feature to keep you from driving too quickly?!?

Did anyone figure this out yet? Car's in with the dealer tomorrow for 1st service.

Damian

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Yup, still not had chance to get on a completely unlit road in complete darkness but from what I can see the right beam doesn't seem to just stop dead 20 yards in front of my vehicle :) Actually I need to pop out tonight to a friends house, on my route to fill up with diesel there is a good road I can try...

·
Diesel Demon
502 Posts
Had my 12.5k service done today (£189), and had the headlights checked by the dealer on their MOT rig. All was/is fine, they reckoned.

We'll see if it's fine when they're having to prize a dead badger out from the intercooler come the winter! :mad:

I think that it's just the drivers side lamp that needs moving up a notch or two, to give the extra reach.... Anybody got any ideas?

D

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
should be a simple tweak on the adjuster :)

just make sure you do it at night, on the flat, facing a nice wall :)

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
Badger Alert ! ! ! !

Had my 12.5k service done today (£189), and had the headlights checked by the dealer on their MOT rig. All was/is fine, they reckoned.

We'll see if it's fine when they're having to prize a dead badger out from the intercooler come the winter! :mad:

I think that it's just the drivers side lamp that needs moving up a notch or two, to give the extra reach.... Anybody got any ideas?

D
Damian,
Sorry mate - headlights won't save you from a dead badger and the live ones tend to run straigt into your path - £1500 worth of damage to my Alhambra (luckily a company car). Even a decent horn doesn't deter them!

You can adjust the screws (see: Think I found the adjusters for the HID Lights). I tried this and managed just over half a turn until they wouldn't go any further. Made a little difference - not much on self leveling HID lamps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts