2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After hearing some very noticeable grinding coming from the rear brake discs, I decided to take my Honda Civic 2.2 diesel (2008) to a local garage near my work. The closest one happened to be a KwikFit (I can hear your sighs already).

Anyway, after about 30 mins I got a call to say that they had checked the car and that I needed all new discs and pads as the car was in an unsafe condition to drive. The cost they quoted me was £471 for parts and labour. I was devastated to hear this, but said that I'd have to go ahead and just get this done, as "with the car being unsafe to drive" and the fact I have a 30 mile commute home I don't really have much choice.

Anyway, it wasn't until I got home tonight that I looked up the cost of the parts and it occurred to me that I've probably been ripped off big time. The invoice says £169 (for two brake discs), £128 (for the other two brake discs), and £87 and £81 for each set of pads. On looking on Eurocarparts, it seems that there's a huge mark up on the price KwikFit are charging for the parts.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so is there anything that you can suggest that I do?

I'm not sure if I could for instance email them and say that I think I've been over-charged? I know some people have mentioned reporting cowboy garages to VOSA.

Or do I simply accept this as a lesson learned and move on?

Any advice would be much appreciated guys.

Cheers,

Ross

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Id feel the same as you but..

They invited you an offer of £XXX to do the work, you accepted their offer. As long as they've done the job fine I don't see how you can take this any further against them. I'm not a lawyer though

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I appreciate that. I'm not trying to kick up a huge fuss, just feel very disappointed to have been ripped off.

I wasn't sure whether £471 is a bit more than I should have paid, or a LOT more than I should have paid.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Like a kipper!!

I was recently quoted £426 for pads and discs for 2.2 08 Plate by Halfrauds Auto Centre.

Was qouted £160 for parts from Euro Carparts, with a friends staff discount down to £106. Was told that Halfrauds source their parts from ECP anyways!

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
Quik fit "checked" my brakes 2.5 years ago, told me i had less than 200 miles left in my front and rear discs. The rears were finally replaced in May this year, fronts in January but only because I did a bbk conversion, sailed through 2 mots and 30 000 miles with the "dangerous" discs.....

And the fronts are now on Rowbos car with at least 10k left in them

sent from the boss droid

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
Quik fit "checked" my brakes 2.5 years ago, told me i had less than 200 miles left in my front and rear discs. The rears were finally replaced in May this year, fronts in January but only because I did a bbk conversion, sailed through 2 mots and 30 000 miles with the "dangerous" discs.....

And the fronts are now on Rowbos car with at least 10k left in them

sent from the boss droid
And they are mint !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's pretty alarming. It sounds like everyone's opinion of KwikFit is pretty unanimous.

Thing is who's the losers at end of the day? They may be getting more money out of people like me, but I'll never use them again. Plus bad news spreads a lot faster than good news.

Ah well, just means a very lean month in prospect for me :(.

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
You could have had oem discs and pads fitted by Honda for that. Or a set of Mtec grooved with pads and fitted for less....

sent from the boss droid

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
On the plus side, you now have a safer car!, but for brakes, I go OEM unless a performance upgrade solution is available.

It is a case of learn from it and maybe get a torch and check your own disk and pad wear in future, a finger cap tell a lip on a disc and a torch can help spot a pad thickness though a calliper/wheel. Any disc warp is noticeable at low speed as you feel the uneven braking.

Everyone has to make money, as a customer we all need to save some!

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Love how they say it's unsafe to drive because of a worn rear disc. Gutted for you mate, but that's not a ridiculous price at the end of the day so not to worry too much.

I was quoted £550 from Honda for front discs and pads fitted. Bought myself stoptech grooved discs, two bottles of motul racing fluid, Ferodo DS2500's and a full set of steel braided lines for under £500, and fitted them myself! You know for next time :)

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Love how they say it's unsafe to drive because of a worn rear disc. Gutted for you mate, but that's not a ridiculous price at the end of the day so not to worry too much.

I was quoted £550 from Honda for front discs and pads fitted. Bought myself stoptech grooved discs, two bottles of motul racing fluid, Ferodo DS2500's and a full set of steel braided lines for under £500, and fitted them myself! You know for next time :)
Exactly at least Honda would use OEM parts. God knows what brakes they used on the OPs car.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,284 Posts
Don't they offer a lifetime guarantee on brakes? If they wear out, they change them free? Not that I'd ever go to them!

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Probably when you go back though they will try to rip you off with something else.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I've noticed this with a few big named garages, they do get there parts from euro car parts (as I've seen the van outside they're garage) and they do mark up they're prices on the parts. It's a business after all, a big name like kwik fit will never be short of custom.

A friend of mine went to have his 1.4 civic serviced locally to another well known company, they then called him and said that he needed various things doing so will cost over £1000 if he went ahead, the usual "I recommend you should, it's dangerous, can do damage etc etc etc" he quite right refused and said just do the service but give me a itemised quote on all the parts needed. He checked each item with euro car part and they DOUBLED each part.

Was certainly an eye opener for me anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts