2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Thinking of a swap to a CTR

3K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  superficial 
#1 ·
My question is... I am paying £160 a month in diesel and that's getting 36mpg... That's 720 miles I travel a month. Motorway probably 80-85% of the time.

How much extra do you think I would be paying in fuel if I got a CTR?

#3 ·
It ranges from
36 to 42 depending on my trip. On the motorway miles there are quite a few roundabouts and turns onto smaller roads.

#4 · (Edited)
its going to depend on how hard you drive it ! i am sitting currently on average 25.4mpg and thats with some easy driving and some v-tec'in

i wouldnt say i bought mine for economy though mate , i bought it for the wild ride

that said though i took mine way up north of inverness and sat at 60 (speed cameras grrr) with CC on and was getting almost 35 mpg average on a 370 mile round trip

#15 ·
Well I made the call to Honda today about swapping out my CTR for a CRZ :(

My very short jouneys (it's a '59 and I've got about 3,700 miles on it) are killing me on fuel... 16.8mpg

So if you want to buy a virtually new CTR... I might be selling...

...and crying... so, so sad... :/

#16 ·
try a test drive and reset all the trips and see what you get on the mpg, then after the test drive do the same trip in your car and compare the figures. On the motorway drove light footed with a steady speed the R should be good for 35mpg but its the town driving and short cold journeys that hit you hard but then again a diesel is not so good for these due to diesel burning cooler hence the engine takes longer to warm up.

My advice if you want MPG then go for a CRZ and if your car is standard I think you will find the CRZ to be just as quick but easily return 40mpg around town.

#17 ·
over 18000 miles in 18 months my car has an average of 24.8mpg... I put £50 in about every 3 days... I can assure you your costs will increase substantially.

#27 ·
over 18000 miles in 18 months my car has an average of 24.8mpg... I put £50 in about every 3 days... I can assure you your costs will increase substantially.
On reflection i need to be realistic. If i am questioning the MPG, i shouldn't really be considering the CTR lol
The K20 will ruin you... as said, your consumption will increase, and not a bit precisely.

Well, it can be done. But then, why to have a Type R if you cannot drive hard with it???!!!

Still driving slow with a Type R can be expensive... Well, if you manage to be very smooth, it can stay at nice costs. But then not worth having a R.

Our Type R was doing about 1500 miles every month (some month a bit less). 85% of days going hard (highway 180-200, mountain road 70-130-160...). As you can expect, its consumption was high. Anyway, some days that the car was going slow, there wasn't too much difference.
(Don't worry, we warm up the car properly before every run, slow or hard)

#18 ·
On reflection i need to be realistic. If i am questioning the MPG, i shouldn't really be considering the CTR lol

#19 ·
I've been doing the Spritmonitor thing for a few months now.

<---- It's under my avatar at the bottom. 29.7 at the moment.

This includes several dyno runs, me mainly driving like a loon, and some motorway driving.

#20 ·
36mpg? - Thats shocking! - something clearly isn't right there... :eek:

I don't think I've ever seen less than about 50mpg, no matter how I drive. Have you checked your tyre pressures lately? No way should the i-CTDi only muster 36mpg, unless your towing a caravan or something. :confused:

I'd get it looked at if I were you, as that is not normal economy for the diesel.

#23 ·
I have been experimenting with driving and mpg. If I drive like a granny, I can get 42mpg. Tops!

#24 ·
I was like you before I got my FN2, I can honestly say since I got it not once have I worried about MPG. In fact I think the MPG is good for how I drive it. You only live once you should enjoy it. Will you always wish you had an FN2?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.