2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I think I am having an early midlife crisis:rolleyes:, I really want a small, cheap to buy, cheap to run sports car.

I was thinking originally of a MK1 Golf Cabriolet but then I saw a CRX which I really really liked the look of.

Does anybody have any advice, experience or opinions of these little cars good or bad?

Thanks in advance.
Joe

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'd like to pick up a clean CRX as well, but they are few and far between around here. They're great cars, lightweight, and if you have the money to do a K series swap, they're downright awesome little beasts.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
You could have a look round their forum.

CRX-UK :: Index

They are quite old now so I guess the main thing to do is make sure you find a good one. Many will have had a hard life on a limited budget, but there must be some good enthusiast owned cars out there.

I keep thinking about a second classic car a 1.9 205 Gti which has the same problems - finding a good one!

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies,

When I have been looking around I have noticed a hell of a lot of CRX Del Sols which I believe are the imported versions, has anybody ever owned an imported car, should I look at these are stay with the UK versions, I know a lot of MX-5's are imports and I think you get a few more toys.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Which CRX are you after? I have a friend who has an old G reg CRX which he says is great, although I seem to remember him saying the steering was very heavy. (No power steering and big wheels). Or were you looking at the more modern Civic CRX which had that funky automatic roof gadget?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which CRX are you after? I have a friend who has an old G reg CRX which he says is great, although I seem to remember him saying the steering was very heavy. (No power steering and big wheels). Or were you looking at the more modern Civic CRX which had that funky automatic roof gadget?
I was looking at the newer one, as you say the one with the electric roof.

Ideally I would like an older 1.5L engined one (Cheap tax!), although these are harder to come by due to the age I pressume. I would just like one which is un-modified, has low mileage and full Honda service history:D. Although I think I may be looking for some time!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
If its really a sports car you are looking for look no further than a Mk1 Mx5 or Eunos roadster (the japanese import) . I have the latter in classic red cost just £1400 over a year ago great spares availability but almost nothing goes wrong . 200 fully comp insurance with directline .
Mine has done 160ooo Kilometres and according to my local mechanic is run in ! the handling is much better than the CRX especially the one with the electric roof (all that weight high up !)
Hardly ever use the hood up even in the rain but never fails to put a smile on my face.
Buy either an early imported 1600 like mine (130bhp as standard and easy to tune to 150bhp ) or what Im looking for now a late Mk1 1800 with ABS to use as a daily driver summer or winter .
You will learn a lovely opposite lock drift for roundabouts in no time!

·
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!
1,228 Posts
I keep thinking about a second classic car a 1.9 205 Gti which has the same problems - finding a good one!
I always thought that the 1.6 Gti was the better car. Great handling, fast, and slightly less likely to kill you by depositing you in a ditch than the 1.9 :D

As for the CRX, it's a great looking car, made by Honda and loved by some of the Max Power brigade. Buyer beware. :(

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
had one a number of years ago until a drunk driver wrote it off.
1.6 vtec, 150 hp
prob the best car ive owned. was immaculate
been looking about for one for a few years, but not many good ones that havent been modded about.
best of luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts