2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Civinfo

Its been a very long time since I was here the last time:facepalm:

Long story short I owned a FN2 CW which some of you guys might remember:). Due to different circumstances I had to sell the CW. This is 3-4 years ago.

In the meantime I have had different turbo VAG cars, gotten married and became a father of a beautiful 1,5 year old daughter:)

She is now at an age where she is walking and therefore a lot more mobile.

I found a 09 black FN2 GT for sale here in Denmark, looking for a roomier VAG car, and just fell in love with the FN2 all over again. My big question is how do I convince the wife that a 3 door FN2, she wants only a 5 door car because it is more practical is a good choice?:( It got me thinking that the CW had lots of space in the back and in the boot. In fact its got 485 liters of space in the boot where my current Audi A3 1.8 tfsi sportback 08 only got 350 liters of space in the boot.
Therefore I would love to hear from others who got a FN2 and kids in the back how you get a long with the car?

I am in the process of selling my Audi and before I go buy a Skoda Ocatavia 2.0 TFSI RS I would like to hear peoples experiences with the above;)

Cheers.

Rune

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi There,

My wife and I have a civic type S 3 door. We also have a 2 year old son. The three door civics have isofix and the seats slide very forward to get the little one in and out.

The boot is big enough for suitcases as well as a pushchair. Being honest, it is easier with a three door with a little one as there is no handle for him to pull and there is extra security as pedestrians cannot open any back doors as it is a 3 door!

Unless you have pre-teens, you don't really need a 5 door civic.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi There,

My wife and I have a civic type S 3 door. We also have a 2 year old son. The three door civics have isofix and the seats slide very forward to get the little one in and out.

The boot is big enough for suitcases as well as a pushchair. Being honest, it is easier with a three door with a little one as there is no handle for him to pull and there is extra security as pedestrians cannot open any back doors as it is a 3 door!

Unless you have pre-teens, you don't really need a 5 door civic.

Thank you mate;) This I can use when dealing with my wife;)

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I changed from 5 door civic to fn2 and I have two kids aged 4 and 2. I found that fn2 is easier for me and my wife. With 5 door you put in kids from the side and it was sometimes a hassle to get the seatbelts on, now when I move front seats there is enough space to get in the back with kids and easier to do them tricky car seat belts when they r in front of me.

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I changed from 5 door civic to fn2 and I have two kids aged 4 and 2. I found that fn2 is easier for me and my wife. With 5 door you put in kids from the side and it was sometimes a hassle to get the seatbelts on, now when I move front seats there is enough space to get in the back with kids and easier to do them tricky car seat belts when they r in front of me.

This is spot on and I used to kneel on the rear mat while sorting the seat while my short [email protected]$e wife could just stand in the back with them but you are square on sorting the seat so it is very easy to do unlike a five door:worms:

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for sharing mate. I appreciate it:)

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I opened the can of worms today telling my wife about my plans of getting a FN2:( She did not take it well but as so many times before I need to plant a seed, not literally, and give it some time and try to convince her over time to get a FN2.;)

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,165 Posts
You could go to see that Type R, equipped with the car seat, and wife and daughter.

That way, it's the main concern attended to first.

If access proves fine, you've cleared the initial hurdle; if access is awkward, then you'll find this out soon enough...

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could go to see that Type R, equipped with the car seat, and wife and daughter.

That way, it's the main concern attended to first.

If access proves fine, you've cleared the initial hurdle; if access is awkward, then you'll find this out soon enough...
You are absolutely right. I will have to see if we can find a FN2 near us to test it.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Just to echo what everyone else here has said.

I debated getting rid of the FN2 when my now 3 year old was first born but to be honest there was/is nothing quite as practical in terms of boot space.

We don't really lug much around these days but back in the days of having to take a pushchair + lots of other stuff with us everywhere we went, the FN2 really was phenomenal!

Combine that with the fact that putting a child into an ISOFIX seat when directly facing them (i.e. a 3 door Civic) is so much easier than getting them in sideways. Also think about how you would need to twist them/wake them when getting them out again if they are asleep...

Then as someone else said there is also the security aspect.

Its a no brainer :)

Reactions: Madcaddies

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
have 2 boys 8 &10....group 2 seats in the back...easy access from passenger door....we`v done thousnads of miles in trips over the last 18 months....no problem at all...takes seconds to "belt up" and undo ect....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Agreed with all the comments saying 3 doors are definitely easier I had a accord before the civic and leaning over was a pain where as a 3 door you can be facing the car seat

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your inputs:D

I do not know what happened tonight but she said okay to buying a FN2. Well it was only after I told her about all yours experiences with having kids in this wonderful car:)

Now there is only the wait till next week when my Audi is being picked up by the new owner to go get the FN2 but only if I can get the specific FN2 I have been looking at. It is a 2009 where the others are from 2007.

Thanks guys:)

·
Enjoying life
8,563 Posts
Good lad ;)

Reactions: Madcaddies

·
Fox Main
66 Posts
Hi,

we have a two year old, and have had the car since he was about 18 months.

Bit of a ballache switching out the car seat sometimes due to 3 door, however there is plenty of space (and rear cup holders!); never had to worry about boot space, and when the extra bit at the bottom of the boot is opened, we got a pram, three suitcases and extras in on the way to the airport.

Hope this helps :)

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,

we have a two year old, and have had the car since he was about 18 months.

Bit of a ballache switching out the car seat sometimes due to 3 door, however there is plenty of space (and rear cup holders!); never had to worry about boot space, and when the extra bit at the bottom of the boot is opened, we got a pram, three suitcases and extras in on the way to the airport.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks mate. This helps for sure:)

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
We bought a FN2 when Lewis was 2 weeks old and kept this 30 months, as I said above the 3 doors were never a issue but we did get fed up with the ride quality in the end

1 - 20 of 22 Posts