2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying an FN2 however I do 30 miles a day for work which is a mix of dual carriage ways and country lanes. Can anyone comment on how an FN2 would be as a daily please? Also, if there is anyone in the Cheshire area who would be willing to let me have a ride to see what the car is like then that would be great....

Thanks guys

Sent from my Letv X500 using Tapatalk

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Hi, I do just under 40 miles a day to work and back, I have no issues using my fn2 as a daily. I don't do huge weekend miles and put around £45 a week in the tank (Shell nitro plus). I wouldn't want to do a 5 mile commute as the car wouldn't be getting a good enough run imo.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I do just under 40 miles a day to work and back, I have no issues using my fn2 as a daily. I don't do huge weekend miles and put around £45 a week in the tank (Shell nitro plus). I wouldn't want to do a 5 mile commute as the car wouldn't be getting a good enough run imo.
Thanks very much mate. Is your run to work motorway or mixed? Do you drive hard or gently? I've currently got an IS200 which I was in the middle of supercharging but have got an issue with it at the moment and if it turns out to be the head gasket then will be getting rid and getting a new car so am trying to decide on what to get.

How do you find it to drive though? I've heard a lot of people think it's a crashy hard ride...

·
Enjoying life
8,557 Posts
Mostly A roads. I drive as the traffic dictates mostly, but can usually have a quick blast from a junction when it's a clear road. With the crap roads I found it crashy on oem springs, but getting the eibachs has helped, I also think the tower bars I have installed along with polybush engine mounts has all helped. Firm yet controlled. Love it.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
I live about 3 miles from work and feel sorry for it barely warming up, shame I need to deliver stuff otherwise I'd just cycle. I do blow out the sludge on the weekends and between meetings though :lol:

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
My round trip to work is 44 miles a day. I put £50-£55 a week in fuel in the car (BP ultimate)
so at least £200 a month in fuel just for the work commute. I do about 14 miles to the gym in the evenings as well plus a weekend blast.
I average around the 25-30 mpg.

Not the most economical car compared to whats on the market now like the fiesta ST for example. But I would rather have a Honda...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys. From the sounds of it the CTR seems thirstier than my IS200 which is very odd I think as I expected it to be better on fuel as the Lexus is a straight 6 and apparently does on average 20-25mpg. I get about 360-380 miles out of 55-60 litres of unleaded however the car has a 70 litre tank.

I'm still very undecided however will keep doing my research.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm thinking of buying an FN2 however I do 30 miles a day for work which is a mix of dual carriage ways and country lanes. Can anyone comment on how an FN2 would be as a daily please? Also, if there is anyone in the Cheshire area who would be willing to let me have a ride to see what the car is like then that would be great....

Thanks guys

Hi mate
I have an fn2 and do a 55 mile round commute 5 days a week, in my opinion it's a great daily.

Definitely make sure you get the GT model for a daily, so you get the air con, cruise control etc.

On the motorway and dual carriageway the mpg is reasonable, I average 33mpg. In town it's not great but still reasonable being an NA car.

The ride is hard and you'll feel almost every bump on the road haha but this personally doesn't bother me, you expect it from a type r really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I do about 40 miles round trip in rural Orkney and over the tank the computer says between 35 to 36mpg most times, but if I use more vtec then it's about 34mpg or slightly under, that is mainly A roads and some B roads. (I don't thrash it a lot, just the occasional overtake and you have to do a few vtecs for a laugh.)

Like has been said before its not the smothest ride and it first I was a bit worried I would get sick of the harder ride, but 4 months on and I still love it. This is my first sporty car apart from a Civic Jordan years ago and it just makes me feel happy when I drive it. It has its flaws but I think they help give it character. For me there is just something special about the Type R and I am so glad I bought one. (I did weeks of research and watching YouTube reviews etc before actually going for it, as I just wasn't sure)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
They're very economical for what they are, I used to average about 42mpg doing motorway miles. The standard suspension was too stiff for me as a daily, I swapped to Eibach Pro springs which just took the hard edge off the ride.

Incredibly reliable through daily use, track days and a road trip. The only car to match its reliability was my old Mk1 MX5.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reviving a bit of an old thread here but just wanted to thank everyone who replied first...

To update you all, this week I have bitten the bullet and put a deposit down for a 59 plate type r gt with Sat nav and hft. I didn't plan on getting a new car until after New year but this one came up and I couldn't resist. I know it's quite a change to my Lexus however I was actually quite surprised with the ride. I'm aware that a lot of people say the type r ride is crashy however I found it on par with my Lexus on 18" wheels.

Will post some pics up when I collect the car, hopefully this weekend or early next week.

Anyone got any tips for a new type r owner?

I'll be keeping the Lexus too so at least I can swap and change when I feel like it! Ha ha!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About time!

The Type R will be very different to your derv Lexus, enjoy the VTEC :p
Yes I know! I've had the Type R itch for a while and well it really needed scratching. Have been torn between sticking with luxury or a type r for so long but if its something that you can't ignore then well it's gotta be done! I'll be keeping the lexus as well so when I want some comfort and relaxation then I'll be fine. Will be weird having a manual after having driven an auto for years but I can't wait!

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Best tip for new owner - get out and drive it!
You should get at least 30 mpg unless you have a lead boot
Don't go mad for mods (unless it has already been played with) until you understand what it will do in vanilla.
Some LED light upgrades will make it look better inside & out - plenty of threads on here about them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks mate! I intend to drive it! It'll be my new daily I think and in the mean time I'm going to sort out my Lexus as it's been an unfinished project for ages. The Civic will get a good run every day to and from work as it's a mix of dual carriageway and country lanes so should be fun. I'm looking forward to it. The car has currently got an induction kit on it but it's basically the standard intake butchered and a cone filter stuck on the end so will change that for either a standard intake and k&n panel or a full induction kit. It's also currently got a decat as well as the rear small silencers deleted and replaced for the same diameter pipe. It's an interesting mod I have to say but it sounds good. The standard larger back box that runs across is still present.

The first main thing I intend to do once fully serviced is take it to ABP and get the Geo done. I'll probably go for the fast road setup but it won't be straight away, maybe after new year depending on how I feel it is currently. It's currently got hids so that's a bonus but they're aftermarket which I thought was odd as though 09 plates come with them as standard. Again I'll do all the lights for sure. Geo and lights have always been first things for me.

Really can't wait to pick it up!

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Enjoy it!
With that mix of roads it should be fun and do mid 30s mpg I would have thought - maybe try shell vpower/BP ultimate to give it a boost and clean out.

Instead of K&N panel why not try the HKS panel filter, under £40 on ebay.
It has the same foam as the RSK but in standard panel form and you don't have to mess about with oil like some K&Ns.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Best tip for new owner - get out and drive it!
You should get at least 30 mpg unless you have a lead boot
Don't go mad for mods (unless it has already been played with) until you understand what it will do in vanilla.
Some LED light upgrades will make it look better inside & out - plenty of threads on here about them.
Mine averaged 28-29 until injector cleaner and detatcing battery for ECU rest, getting 34 now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine averaged 28-29 until injector cleaner and detatcing battery for ECU rest, getting 34 now.
I'll be doing the same. Got some redex already so that and a full tank of fuel along with a full service. Can't wait to pick it up. Not long now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts