2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says, I'm thinking if selling my car...no specific reason, just looking for a change and got my eye on a Scirocco R (what's everyones opinion on these) think you can get big bhp gains for less cash and I do love the look of them...one thing I will miss is the scream of my car up to the red line!

Now on to the next bit...with all mods included (Mugen wing, Mugen grill, martelius exhaust, hks rsk, eibach springs, and then the odd bit like Mugen socks and 4point harness etc) I'm thinking of putting it up for around £9000ono...it's a GT model, full service history and would be serviced before I sold it...55k on the clock...peoples thoughts?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
person to ask would be guitaralmond (i think) he went from a fn2 then to a scirocco r (modded) then back to a fn2..

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
So as the title says, I'm thinking if selling my car...no specific reason, just looking for a change and got my eye on a Scirocco R (what's everyones opinion on these) think you can get big bhp gains for less cash and I do love the look of them...one thing I will miss is the scream of my car up to the red line!

Now on to the next bit...with all mods included (Mugen wing, Mugen grill, martelius exhaust, hks rsk, eibach springs, and then the odd bit like Mugen socks and 4point harness etc) I'm thinking of putting it up for around £9000ono...it's a GT model, full service history and would be serviced before I sold it...55k on the clock...peoples thoughts?

DONT DO IT :facepalm:

·
World Traveller
1,814 Posts
If you do thats a serious bargain to be had, well over a few thousand £ mods on there, so IMO you should up the price ;)

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
Strip and sell the bits if you do.

Two main reasons:

• Most people don't like buying a modded car because it either puts them off or they want to put their own stamp on the car. Granted, there is a bum for every seat, but you will be waiting a lot longer to sell the car modded than you would standard.
  • The car is worth around £7,500 standard, so you've valued your mods at £1,500. You'll get much more than that.
I keep thinking of selling, but there isn't much out there that will give me as many smiles per miles, do 30mpg and cost around £800 a year to insure. :rolleyes:

·
ex CW FN2 owner
595 Posts
scirocco r looks and from its reviews is a very nice car, pricey compared to FN2, Im sure there will be someone out there who would love your car actually one forum member was on the look out for a NHB FN2 Have you taken a Scirocco R out for a test flight yet? ;)

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm in two minds still at the minute...hoping to take a scirocco out on Tuesday to see what they're like...I know I will probably benefit more by breaking down mods (I still have all standard parts bar the spoiler) however its just the time and effort which I don't have much of at the minute...I know it's harder to sell with mods on but I'm hoping someone would be interested...it all depends on how the scirocco feels when I step inside. If I get the same feeling as first time I sat in an fn2 (plus the drive and numbers are right) then i will go for it...but that's a big If lol

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Well I did have one, the Scirocco is fast, after just a tune you can easily crack 300bhp. With DSG it's like lightning too!

One thing I would mention is costs, I couldn't get any more than 16mpg, tyres are VERY expensive although the quality is much better on everything throughout. I would say if you have something as raw as the Martelius you will hate the driving aspect of the Scirocco. It's power and delivery is boring and linear, although lightning fast. I had a full 3" exhaust from Milltek and it still sounded like a droning 300bhp diesel. The FN2 when I went back was obviously slower but way way more fun and around half the cost to run. Also modding can get even more expensive than it is on here, and dont think you can sell everything on when you change after as there are only something like 500 cars worldwide.

I have to say, I've just gone to an S2000 and it's absolutely amazing! The most fun car by far I have ever owned. It's Scirocco R fast too. I didn't think there would be much difference from my modded Mugen but there really is, I had suspension and a diff and all sorts but even a stock S2000 wipes the floor with it.

In my opinion, the Scirocco R very fast but just as boring, knowing what I do now, go S2000. If you need the extra seats, stick with the FN2 and go Tdi stage 2 cams.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
16mpg??!? Lol do you have a heavy right foot? Iv been watching some videos and stuff and sound is one thing I noticed (or should i say didn't notice)...and true, it's the way the type r delivers it's power that I love...like I said, I think I will know when I step in to a scirocco what I want to do. But that mpg figure is worrying! I know a 2.0 tsi says 34mpg combined which is roughly like an fn2 stock...

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
16mpg??!? Lol do you have a heavy right foot? Iv been watching some videos and stuff and sound is one thing I noticed (or should i say didn't notice)...and true, it's the way the type r delivers it's power that I love...like I said, I think I will know when I step in to a scirocco what I want to do. But that mpg figure is worrying! I know a 2.0 tsi says 34mpg combined which is roughly like an fn2 stock...
Forget that, the Scirocco R was so good on not lagging on the turbo etc is was pulling like a train from 1,500rpm, in fact it had so much torque that from 70mph 6th gear was virtually as fast as 4th. Although obviously the down side of even getting to the speed limit quickly in any gear was that it drank the petrol, it just can't be run off boost as the turbo is running pretty much everywhere, like I said, like lightning lol!

I drove it carefully once, very slow, 22mpg...

You can't have 300 brake and 300 torque and get Type R economy.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forget that, the Scirocco R was so good on not lagging on the turbo etc is was pulling like a train from 1,500rpm, in fact it had so much torque that from 70mph 6th gear was virtually as fast as 4th. Although obviously the down side of even getting to the speed limit quickly in any gear was that it drank the petrol, it just can't be run off boost as the turbo is running pretty much everywhere, like I said, like lightning lol!

Lol true...it's cheaper to insure for me than the fn2 tho...best price on compare the Market is £400 cheaper than what I currently pay and I'm with greenlight, so assume they will be cheaper still! What would your thoughts be on a 2.0 tsi and a remap...is there much difference? I know the R is 265bhp standard but a £500 remap gets you that power from the tsi gt...I do like the added styling on the r line tho

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I mean is, if I really like the car and was to go for one, isthe R worth the extra £5k (ish) I'd have to pay

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Hi mate,

It's true it's not just a myth.

My friend has a remapped 2.0 Scirocco TSI, and i know it won't be as fast as a Scirocco R but it would have the same sort of power delivery.

It's just very plain, quiet and boring. It's quick in a straight line but you don't feel engaged at all. With a type-r the whole noise, feel and way that VTEC works is great fun.

Admittadly the interior of a scirocco is a nice play to be, full leathers, firm and clean but i still like the type-R.

Another thing to consider as well is the costs... not just running but the car itself. As sad as it is, we all need to face the fact that owning a performance car is not a cheap hobby. Saying that as Loxy stated if you can find a car that is fun, good around a track and good in straight line that also delivers more than 30mpg at a good price... tell me now! Because you can grab a great second hand fn2 for 7-12 k. Modding that is skies the limit.

I just feel that whenever changing car you lose out on money... So i feel not being too fussy is a good thing.

I was going to get a 350z at one point, but the insurance, tax and petrol just put me off.

If you want the Rocco get it ;P but do have a think!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah it's not something I'm going to jump in to because I love my fn2 to bits! I'm having a nosey round some forums for info. I guess it will be how I feel when I drive it. If I know I can trust it to stick round corners like the fn2, and experience it's power delivery and 'fun' first hand...it would have to be special to put a smile on my face like the fn2 does tho :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

Spooling a K04 from 1500 rpm? no wonder that car drank the juice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts