2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I left work there were several blobs of bird mess on my car bonnet, when I got home we cleaned it off only to reveal this scratch :( its about 2inches long and you can dig your nail in to it! It definately was not there last night, we checked the mess we had wiped off to see if there were any seeds or sharp bits that could have scratched the car when we wiped it but couldnt see anything obvious. How on earth do you get a scratch in the middle of the bonnet like that!!!

There is only two panels left on my car now without a scratch and I have only had it 5 months. Having been sent an estimate from my dealership for £1,751 to fix the others I feel gutted. I am still waiting for a response from Honda CS as to the appropriate paint range thickness (at this moment in time no body at Honda seems to know) except of course my dealership who say that the paint on my car is "fine" but wont actually tell me what the acceptable levels are!

I am actually starting to find this really stressful and depressing now[smilie=cwl.gif]

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
What has paint thickness got to do with the scratches on your car???

You have a phantom scratcher my friend!!!!!!![smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
What has paint thickness got to do with the scratches on your car???

You have a phantom scratcher my friend!!!!!!![smilie=cheeky-grin:[/QUOTE]

She has a previous paint problem, see.

I think someone is targeting your car to be honest, Topcat. I really feel for you..

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I hate to say this but I knid of agree.

Regardless of the thickness of the paint, a scratch will still be a scratch.

With regards to the thickness, I hope your enquiries get the results you are after.

And I do really feel for you with the scratches, I have a couple now, and chips, but that's the price we pay for buying brand new cars! Watching our immaculate paintwork slowly be knocked and scuffed by the world...

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know where they are coming from :( except for one, my daughter marked it with her bike, but if the car keeps scratching the way it has been doing then in a years time it will look awful! I think I may have said before (forgive me if I have) but when I got my focus, 8 years ago, my daughter (then three) drew a picture of a flower, heart and star on every panel with a stone! The whole lot t cut out.

I

·
Registered
16 Posts
Topcat,
I've had first hand experience of bird crap and Honda paintwork on my Milano Red Civic. Sorry to say but don't expect any understanding from Honda CS on the matter, their attitude to Bird **** is Crap happens it's not our fault.
Never got scatches like yours with mine, only disolved the top coat completely in a day parked on my drive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't get why they all use water based crap paint last few year.

Environment? Just put some kind of tax on it, and give me a slap of unhealthy paint please.
Makes me wonder what recent cars paint will look like in say 10-20 years :'(

More on topic, is that the picture or is it all the way through the paint to the black underthingie?

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If wiping bird mess can cause a scratch like that then there has to be a problem with the paintwork!!

I have had the paint thickness measured at a different dealership to my own and was advised today by Honda CS that I may have to have the car independantly checked by a paint expert.

I first got the Civic on the 1st March, 3 days after that the problems started and since then it has been one thing after another and god knows how many courtesy cars! Even a short journey to work is ruined by interference on the radio. I do not feel very "proud" driving around in a new car covered in scratches, instead I feel embarrassed and cheated out of the joy and excitement of owning a new car!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Measuring paint thickness is often the first and last response to a paintwork complaint by dealers, as if that is the last and only factor that can cause a problem. Paint is so soft these days !
I would take the car to a expert paintshop and get their opinion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Topcat,

I'm not surprised you're feeling p***ed off with the scratches on your car. Whether it's the bird muck that's the culprit, or by some bizarre coincidence it happened to conceal a scratch from another source is a matter of debate. I don't blame you for taking it up with Honda though, I've had so many irritating issues with my car that it's put me off having another unless they address the problems so many people are having.

I also own an old classic Triumph Spitfire and I find I'm enjoying driving that far more than the Civic despite all it's mod cons. I shouldn't have to feel like that after shelling out so much cash for a 'state of the art' motor.

KJ

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Paint is no where as good as it used to be, for environmental reasons. It all has to be water based now. I don't know much more than that, but I don't thinks there's much we can do.

Get a re-spray every 5 years?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Topcat,
Sorry to make a lighthearted remark about your obviously stressful experience, but have you thought about removing the diamond rings before cleaning the car ?.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts