2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
radix lecti
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you happen to have read one of the threads I started on here, you'll know the car went back to the dealership to have a few things sorted, and as a result, I'm driving a 1.4 Civic for a couple of days. The one I'm driving is an SE spec car, with I believe, 15 or 16" alloys.

Just to give you an idea, my own car is the 2.2 Diesel, somewhat of a contrast to the entry level (in engine at least) 1.4, and I am a reasonably 'spirited' driver.

And to my distinct surprise, I liked it. Ish.

The first drive I had, home from the dealership was less than impressive. Having got straight out of the 2.2, the lack of acceleration was the first issue. It seemed like the engine note changed, but the acceleration remained lacklustre. The clutch is so light I found it hard to find the biting point, whilst the steering was so light, it felt decidedly vague.

However, after driving it a second time, I suddenly realised the reason I disliked it was because I was expecting it to be a mini version of the 2.2. What I found however, was a car which looks good, goes reasonably well, and is ridiculously easy to drive. I can even see a reason to buy one - comfort.

If you aren't one of the people who wants to get everywhere at a rate of knots, then the 1.4 Civic is a nice place to be. The fuel consumption is good (ish) and the engine nice and docile at lower revs. It has just enough power to be comfortable, but without too much power for those who will never use it. It will quite happily sit at 70, and whilst it takes a while to get there, it never really feels laboured.

So, would I buy one?

Well, er, no. But I know many people who would.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice review, as you say if you are never in a hurry then this is the car for you!
I recently had a go in one and cannot believe Honda would make a car with such a lack lustre engine.
I would describe the car as a good looking Robin Reliant.
But I am sure there are people who would enjoy the car, especially Sunday drivers!

I know Mr Clarkson wasnt the most complimentary about the Civic, I think he should be forced to have the 1.4 for a week - I am sure it would kill him off!

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
Really good Review - Thanks :D

As I have said before the 1.4 is primarily there to appeal to the younger driver ( like you wheelchair) who have insurance cost concerns. You still get a damn good car with top rate styling and good economy.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
That was is a good 'to the point' review Dave that will tell people who maybe considering the 1.4 exactly what they want to know. :)

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
im very happy with mine :)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Dave I completely agree with you there on everything as I was giving a 1.4 for a weekend whilst mine was in having work done and I was really impressed with it bar the acceleration. It had a really quiet engine too.

The clutch took some getting used to but the light steering was excellent. My car felt like a truck when I got it back but I still love it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts