2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 FN2, 65k miles.

My boss told me today, that when I left work the other night, I left a trail of soot from my exhaust. I've also had some throttle lag recently too, where pressing the throttle in even lower gears can cause a noticable lag, where power seems to dip for a moment. It mostly happens when cold, but has also happened to a lesser degree when warmed up.

Could this be a fuelling issue, like a blocked filter? Could the K&N replacement filter that I have just recently binned be at fault, maybe allowing the throttle body to get too dirty? Maybe injectors?

The car feels a little flat, with the snap into vtec not being as 'snappy' lately. But sometimes it still feels like a little rocketship!

It's well serviced, having had an oil/filter change in the last month, as well as a clutch, flywheel and gearbox fluid. I've also had the valve clearances checked in the last few weeks.

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
They naturally run a bit rich. Viewing your spark plugs will give a good indication of how the engine is running.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer. Spark plugs out is a pain, they don't even come out without removing the heat shield along the bulkhead!

I've ordered some throttle body cleaner and injector cleaner. I don't know what else could cause poor running. Oh yeah, the knock sensor has also been replaced, and so has the PCV valve. By the time I'm done, I'd have swapped out pretty much every irritating bit on the engine!

·
Enjoying life
8,565 Posts
Are the plugs the original from factory? I've changed fn2 plugs, not a big deal tbh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, I've had a couple of sets. Tried some odd 360 degree plugs a couple of sets back. Currently running NGK Iridiums, which have been in for maybe a year.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Have you taken off the intake pipe to have a look at the TB yet? Would be a good first port of call - Other than that, take a nice warm weekend to go out for a thrash :p

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
MAF? O2 sensor? ... You could check your fuel trim to see if it's running rich which would be quick and easy to do.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: Farqui

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you taken off the intake pipe to have a look at the TB yet? Would be a good first port of call - Other than that, take a nice warm weekend to go out for a thrash :p
Saturdays out, I'm going flying! If my throttle body cleaner arrives in time, Sunday will be OK.

MAF? O2 sensor? ... You could check your fuel trim to see if it's running rich which would be quick and easy to do.
How do I check my fuel trim. Modern cars and all their electronics are a total pain. I miss the days of carbs! I tried to plug a diag tool into my ODB port earlier, and it wouldn't even fit properly, so that was a bust!

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
A lot of ODB2 tools will show this. The one you have might work, check the instructions for short and long fuel trim.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts