2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Just picked up my new Type R the other day, and I was wondering if the throttle lag I'm experiencing is normal. When I press the accelerator pedal it takes about a tenth to a quarter of a second before the revs start to climb. I've experienced this before on other cars (Mercedes A class for example), but my lat car was a Toyota MR2 where there was no throttle lag that I could tell.

Is this amount of lag usual for a Type R? What have other people experienced?

Thanks

·
Wigan Warriors
1,052 Posts
Welcome ....... if its cold and you boot it, i dont think it VTECs..... and it can be fussy when cold. Never had problems when warm and runny ;)

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
It's the DBW system kicking in, your car has no throttle cable connected to the pedal, therefore it sends an electronic signal to the ECU which then works the throttle, the disadvantage is a mild lag (i get it in my CTS) but the advantage is that it is far more accurate and allows greater deftness when cruising (i.e. the revs are precise rather than varied).

ATB,
Tom

Reactions: TimD

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
Mine too. I asked when i took it back to get a couple a rattles sorted and the dealer did say the same.
You'll notice that in neutral you can't over rev the engine cos the limiter stops it at 4500 rpm. Only do that when warmed up, same for the i-VTEC when on the road.

Have fun :D

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
Welcome ....... if its cold and you boot it, i dont think it VTECs..... and it can be fussy when cold. Never had problems when warm and runny ;)
Rev it to the limiter, drop the clutch and hold on :VTECSMILEY: The best launch control I've ever had. Warning Don't do too often though.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
There is no lag on mine once the engine is warm. The CTR has one of the best throttle responses of any engine.

It could be because the engine is still tight and needs time to bed in. How many miles have you done ?

Are you using high grade fuel like V Power ? If not, that could also be the problem.

Shell in the UK - Shell V-Power

·
Premium Member
467 Posts

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
i use v power and i still get a "tenth to a quarter of a second" lag
i don't think that can be counted as "lag" as such

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
it is the time it takes to send a message to the throttle module, I'm used to mine now, and it doesn't really make much difference.

Tom :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'm guessing it's just the DBW system as suggested. It seems unlikely to be a fuel issue (use Optimax anyway).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi ***** all for your rapid responses, it's definitely not the cold kangarooing,

I use vpower every time, i understand the throttle dbw lag but I don't see how this could cause the engine to drag or reduce in power for the split second (bit like the old diesel in the wrong gear feeling)

I would of thought dbw lag would press the pedal and wait then pickup, not reduce in power then pick up.

I'm 100% sure it didn't do it when I bought the car. It had 32k now has 40k.

I could almost imagine it being the lsd when I put my foot down momentarily bringing the 2nd drive shaft in, but I can't see it doing it low to mid throttle in say 4th or 5 or 6th

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just a quick update try cleaning your Pcv valve it made a difference to mine and got a new one in the post, a bit of carb cleaner is a easy thing to try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts