2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not been able to find a comparable answer anywhere on the internet yet. I've had my 58 reg civic for about a month now, it's been brilliant and flawless so far. Dealer put it through a full service and MOT before I got it. This is my first car though so I'm obviously pretty clueless in a lot of respects!

We've had some heavy snow around here for a few days and the car was unused for about four days. With it being a new (to me) car this is probably the longest it's sat for, but it's gone 48 hours without being driven before this and been fine.

I went to start it yesterday and it was fine until I went to reverse out of my spot. There was a noticeable thud, I think from the back of the car, and a large-ish cloud of smoke that appeared to have come from the exhaust. I didn't know to be looking for a colour, so it could have been white/grey or it could have been blue, it was definitely light in colour though.

What I want to know is if this is likely to just be a one off, perhaps caused by the cold weather? Or whether it's something to worry about? Am I safe to wait and see if it happens again, or should I take it to a garage just in case? I took it for a drive round the ring road today, seemed fine at all speeds, but I just found myself worrying about every little noise where I hadn't before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it's probably fine? I drove it in cold weather last week and there was no smoke. Yesterday was actually comparatively warm, something like 8 degrees to last week's 1. Really hoping you're right though as I'd hate to think I'd bought scrap!

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Another for handbrake sticking and the cracking off as you moved. Pads rust to discs.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
+1 for handbrake, usually get it once I come off my hols as my cars been sat a week or two.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yup my 8th gen did it all the time in poor weather and after a long period of non-use. Nothing to worry about at all. Poor thing was parked outside for its entire life with me. Just make sure that it does unstick properly, the 8th gen did have an issue with sticking rear calipers, I caught mine early (you'll find a thread on here, search is your friend) before it ruined the pads and calipers. Best way to check is after a long drive with next to no braking (i.e. motorway) get up close and personal to the rears and feel the heat on your face. There should be next to none, and if there is some heat (and I mean very little after a motorway blast with no heavy braking) it should be equal between both sides.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Another vote for rusted brakes, mine does it sometimes after sitting overnight, especially if I washed it the previous day and did not drive it. The 1.8 Si did the same thing.
I live near the coast so a bit of salt in the air doesn't help either.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
very comon for a noise from the hand brake sticking
but ive never had a puff of smoke at same time
Hopefully just condensation off the exhaust from the cold and needed the extra oomph to crack the brakes free so there was more than normal.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Mine is also revving hi around 2k on the choke with the cold so would create more than usual from the exhausts on cold start.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Jeez. Has your car got a button that you pull out of the dash for your other half to hang her handbag on then.>:)
Yep, you've got it :kiss:
I bet the kids won't even know what we're on about :serious:

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
no doubt it's brake pads sticking
if it's safe enough to do so and you know your not going to drive the car for a few days you could put the car in reverse and leave the handbrake off which will stop them from seizing to the disk, just remember to pull the handbrake and knock it out of gear before you start it :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts