2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

The 1.4 i-vtec engine in my 2 year old Civic is starting to make a ticking noise. The sound and interval at which they occur are exactly like the injectors. However, it's a lot louder and sometimes skips one tick. I haven't noticed it when the engine is cold, only when it's warmed up. The noise has started developing since the frost kicked in last week, so it might just a harmless side effect, but then again, what do I know? Should I take it to the dealers pronto? Wait for the scheduled service (in 1200 miles)? Forget about it? Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of ticking noise? How often does it tick? constantly or every minute?
The sounds like the same ticking noise the injectors make, only louder. It ticks about 6-8 times per second. Constantly. It can only be heard when outside of the car. I don't know if it gets louder while revving. Something I'll test this evening.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I would wait for the service, engines and cold weather do not mix very well. my 1.8 with 3000 miles on it sometimes ticks on cold starts and then sorts its self out once warm. If the noise is still present once the weather has warmed up then you could take it to the dealer. Have you opened the bonnet and located the noise as mine comes from the back left hand side of the engine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The noise seems to come from in or around the air filter. It's freezing quite badly here, so my fingers froze from just locating the noise. Will open it up a bit later.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not the airbox, but the box above that. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to open it. If it doesn't get worse, I'll ask at the next service.

·
Registered
39 Posts
diamond dave

i've got the same thing happening to mine mate,
only when it's cold outside.

goes away after running the car for a while and cancels out
when reving the engine.

your right it sounds somewhere from the injectors.

don't think it is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Maybe just a 1.4 common noise, do a poll and see how many other 1.4 owners have it.
I do......:( my engine has a tapping sound when it's cold. I logged on to the Honda Jazz site and apparently the 1.4 Dsi lump suffers piston slap until the engine is up to running temp although mine still has a back ground rattle. My car's in at the dealer for MOT and service in amonths time, I'm getting it investigated.
To be fair, most modern engines rattle a bit when they are cold, I wouldn't panic. My cars done 127k, so I think I'm expecting a certain level of rattle on my engine.

MP

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine has done 17500 miles or so, but it only ticks when the engine is warm. When it's cold, there's no noise :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.