2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
just picked my 2.2 sport it had 16.7 miles on it .
just drove it home 175 miles and all was well except it felt a bit tight and not as much grunt as the 4000 mile demo i used for the day.also the gearbox feels tight especialy the lower gears, ground a couple today (whoops):oops:
my question is how long will it take for the motor to loosen up and give me better performance. sorry but ive never had a new diesel engine before.:confused:

·
Registered
881 Posts
The other thing I find with the diesel is that it is very tight when you first start it up and run it for a few miles, to me it feels restricted,

Once it is warmed up it is a lot more eager to go. This isn't something i've noticed before on other diesel cars.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Mine feels tight too, especially compared to my old PD150 Golf which had 70-odd thousand miles on it. Feels less eager at low revs but i'm sure it'll loosen up nicely. I'm still running it in but at about 2k revs it does feels like it wants to take off.

My gearbox also feels tight too, reverse is bordering on crunching, doesn't feel like anything is wrong though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think it's reasonably well established on this forum (and elsewhere) that it takes at least 10,000 miles before a diesel is properly run in - a lot more than a petrol engine.

What I would like to know is whether the engine becomes quieter with time and mileage. I find it quite a rattle from cold and at low revs. but do appreciate that this is a characteristic of the diesel. My mileage is about 400 at present so it's early days.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel ecomomy

We are at around 2,800 miles now (just over 2 months old). The fuel economy is starting to improve, but we think that might be down to the Pipercross which we fitted about 500 miles ago.

mines done just over 800 mile now and the overall economy is at 43 the current tank is at 40, been booting it a bit over the last 50 or so miles :)
Can i ask what made you fit the pipercross filter was it economy ?

·
Registered
881 Posts
mines done just over 800 mile now and the overall economy is at 43 the current tank is at 40, been booting it a bit over the last 50 or so miles :)
Can i ask what made you fit the pipercross filter was it economy ?
Well our car wouldn't really achieve anything above 40. I think our highest tank was 40.4 (Tank 2). The lowest was 38.6. I bought the pipercross as a) it was cheap and b) we had a similar panel filter on our 197, although it didn't make any difference to the car.

We put the pipercross on the car when we got 38.9 from a tankful, thereafter the next tank was 39.8 and the current tank, including lots of stop start traffic in Bath & Bristol is 40.1.

When I fitted it, I didn't like the tone of the engine, but now after 500 miles and an apparent improvement in economy I will keep it fitted. There doesn't appear to be an improvement in performance though, a bit like the ITG we had fitted to the 197.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well our car wouldn't really achieve anything above 40. I think our highest tank was 40.4 (Tank 2). The lowest was 38.6. I bought the pipercross as a) it was cheap and b) we had a similar panel filter on our 197, although it didn't make any difference to the car.

We put the pipercross on the car when we got 38.9 from a tankful, thereafter the next tank was 39.8 and the current tank, including lots of stop start traffic in Bath & Bristol is 40.1.

When I fitted it, I didn't like the tone of the engine, but now after 500 miles and an apparent improvement in economy I will keep it fitted. There doesn't appear to be an improvement in performance though, a bit like the ITG we had fitted to the 197.
Ok thanks for the info. i also run a 03 Citroen Xsara 2.0 110 sx (mapped)
and that goes very well and i never get less than 43 and thats around town
so initial findings the civic is a bit more thirsty but then again its new engine still.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. i also run a 03 Citroen Xsara 2.0 110 sx (mapped)
and that goes very well and i never get less than 43 and thats around town
so initial findings the civic is a bit more thirsty but then again its new engine still.
110x? Is that 110 PS as against 138 PS on the Honda 2.2? If so, I would expect the Honda engine to be a little less economic but a lot quicker.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
110x? Is that 110 PS as against 138 PS on the Honda 2.2? If so, I would expect the Honda engine to be a little less economic but a lot quicker.
Hi John
Yes that is correct except that the Xsara has an aggressive map and is pushing out about 140 bhp so at the moment the Xsara feels a bit nippier
hopefully the Honda will bed in and loosen up a bit yet.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I suppose in all fairness John its not a fair comparison because the Citroen has got 65,000 miles and is nice and loose now, but it surprise a few people i can tell you :)
I can imagine that. My company Astra is the lowly 80bhp 1.7 cdti. With 75k on the clock it is very zippy, it's only weekness is that it struggles with overtaking.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Are the figures everyone is quoting for mpg based on what the on-board computer says?
I must admit i've been shocked at the mpg so far in the civic - in a good way. On a run to work my PD150 Golf would do about 46-47mpg. My first run with the Civic was 53mpg and was even higher on the way home. (Run is a mixture of town, motorway and A-roads.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts