2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I do plan to do a few upgrades to my Civic 64 Reg Diesel with the 'premium stereo' with awful satnav , such as replacing the door speakers and some soundproofing (its the only major downside of this car for me) - there are some great guides here to help with this....

But this is about replacing the aged and not very hi-tech 2 Din existing head unit, the SatNav is painful and not up to date

Just been travelling around Ireland for a week using my Pixel phone as a Satnav and the superb Google maps, it was great (but small screen!) but a real eye opener.... Made me realise that I really need to upgrade the head unit in my beloved Civic to the same functions

Any hints on what head unit to fit? and ideally where to get it fitted in the Midlands?

I have looked at both cheap imported head units and wiring kits and also some pretty expensive Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony etc. head units and I think I want to head upmarket as long as it all works! ie. the steering controls etc.

I have come to the conclusion that I may well need someone to fit it for me, as I have never even taken a door cover off!

Any advice more than welcome and thanks in advance

Cheers!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been looking into doing the same. I'm in the north east and in my area no one fits aftermarket stereos except halfords and they said that I'd lose all the steering wheel controls which isn't an option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
your google maps may not work in no data area and guess what? you can be stack. try some obscure Cumbria areas... instead of wrecking your Honda - just buy TomTom with the lifetime maps and speed camera updates! some of them come with 3G sim card embedded without need even to connect to your smart phone. updates - free and regular. No mess with the original Honda electrics!

·
Registered
98 Posts
your google maps may not work in no data area and guess what? you can be stack. try some obscure Cumbria areas... instead of wrecking your Honda - just buy TomTom with the lifetime maps and speed camera updates! some of them come with 3G sim card embedded without need even to connect to your smart phone. updates - free and regular. No mess with the original Honda electrics!
You can use a Connects2 (or whatever brand you prefer) to connect any doubledin you like. If you want heremaps or google you can use a unit which mirrors your phone. For example I looked at a Pioneer Avic F77dab which can do this, but there are enough units which can.

If you use a connects2unit you will NOT use your steeringwheel controlls. There are some things you lose. You can not adjust the clock on the I-mid anymore (but time is shown on your new unit) and the phonecontrols on the steeringwheel don't work anymore. Most likely you have to replace your rearviewcamera bacause it works on a different voltage then e.g. a Pioneer.
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Folks,

I do plan to do a few upgrades to my Civic 64 Reg Diesel with the 'premium stereo' with awful satnav , such as replacing the door speakers and some soundproofing (its the only major downside of this car for me) - there are some great guides here to help with this....

But this is about replacing the aged and not very hi-tech 2 Din existing head unit, the SatNav is painful and not up to date

Just been travelling around Ireland for a week using my Pixel phone as a Satnav and the superb Google maps, it was great (but small screen!) but a real eye opener.... Made me realise that I really need to upgrade the head unit in my beloved Civic to the same functions

Any hints on what head unit to fit? and ideally where to get it fitted in the Midlands?

I have looked at both cheap imported head units and wiring kits and also some pretty expensive Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony etc. head units and I think I want to head upmarket as long as it all works! ie. the steering controls etc.

I have come to the conclusion that I may well need someone to fit it for me, as I have never even taken a door cover off!

Any advice more than welcome and thanks in advance

Cheers!
You can use a Connects2 (or whatever brand you prefer) to connect any doubledin you like. If you want heremaps or google you can use a unit which mirrors your phone. For example I looked at a Pioneer Avic F77dab which can do this, but there are enough units which can.

If you use a connects2unit you will NOT use your steeringwheel controlls. There are some things you lose. You can not adjust the clock on the I-mid anymore (but time is shown on your new unit) and the phonecontrols on the steeringwheel don't work anymore. Most likely you have to replace your rearviewcamera bacause it works on a different voltage then e.g. a Pioneer.
Good luck
Hello,

I had the stereo-only unit, so didn't had to give up the Honda gps. I bought a unit on Ali. There are many units available. Simple 2-din, where you will need cables tot connect it to Honda wires or full replacements where there is an Honda can-bus etc included.

Mine is not available anymore but a quick search gave me this result:

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/item/32892522154.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10342_10343_10340_10341_10696_10084_10083_10618_10304_10307_10820_10821_10301_10843_10059_100031_10103_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_12,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=7ad80560-d282-4bbf-a362-aa49b316ee75-41&algo_pvid=7ad80560-d282-4bbf-a362-aa49b316ee75&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

My tips:
-go for a px5 or px6. There is a community that makes ROMs even better (check xda). Al the px5 models are the same manufacturer but different sellers (brand-sticker)
- if you have an amp (all diesels seem to have one) tell it to the seller, you need different wording.

- assembling was not very difficult, to my opinion.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I'm also disappointed with the factory unit in mine but i just see a real risk in time/ money wasted potentially on an unknown brand, chinese origin replacement of unknown quality with no certainty it would work with factory controls. there's also a bunch of info you only get displayed on the unit (e.g. mpg history) would this work with aftermarket?

I'd need to be reassured that this all works before taking a punt personally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm also disappointed with the factory unit in mine but i just see a real risk in time/ money wasted potentially on an unknown brand, chinese origin replacement of unknown quality with no certainty it would work with factory controls. there's also a bunch of info you only get displayed on the unit (e.g. mpg history) would this work with aftermarket?

I'd need to be reassured that this all works before taking a punt personally.
Hi there. The steering wheel controls work perfectly over can-bus. If you don't want to use can-bus, you can wire the steering wheel controls manually.

I didn't had a reverse camera but now I have! You can install all normal cameras on these units.

Sound quality is fine (I am not a sound geek). I have one without dsp but nowedays you also have units with dsp that sound even better then mine.

Everything is plug and play but if you like tot do some tweaking on the unit and can work with Android you can go as crazy as you like with updating and installing ROMs etc.

About info at the i-mid screen, that stays the same.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm another who's really interested in this. I've got standard 9G stereo but I've got reversing camera and I want all my controls to stay the same and not lose any of the features.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts