2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 3 and a half years, it is time to leave this forum and join (once again) Alfa Owners. I have enjoyed my Civic from new, and it has never let me down. There were a few disappointments with the paint, cheap plastic trims (especially door handles), road noise, shock absorbers that didn't, and numb legs and arms on long journeys, but all in all I was very happy. However my head has now been well and truly turned by the 170hp TCT Alfa Giulietta Multiair Turbo. Have tested the car on very long journeys for more than 2 weeks and all I can say is INCREDIBLE. So a slightly sad farewell to my faithful Civic.

I have enjoyed my time on this forum and have never regretted buying my Civic, despite the (very) small niggles. Thank you all for an extremely well informed and engaging forum, and for the help, advice, and friendly banter. Sorry I never got to take part in any of the Scandinavian meets, but if I ever pass a Civinfo sticker in my Giulietta I will surely wave.

Bye all, and thanks. :grouphug:

·
Supercharged Blue Type R
2,399 Posts
Alfa's are unreliable fact, one of the worst in recent surveys I recall, with 14% of them returning to dealers with warranty issues, one model had 77 fails per 100 cars. If you are going to be a long way from home, best have some recovery subscription.

Awful cars IMO, nice looking but shockingly unreliable.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Alfa's are unreliable fact, one of the worst in recent surveys I recall, with 14% of them returning to dealers with warranty issues, one model had 77 fails per 100 cars. If you are going to be a long way from home, best have some recovery subscription.

Good luck.
Good luck with it..Enjoy..Great cars
Ignore the doubters..... Its your car not theirs!!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Good luck.
Well I had one before the Civic and never once had to doubt its reliability, and have know many others that have not had problems either, so I speak from experience, not so called "recent surveys" or "I heard it from a bloke in the pub, so it must be true". :rolleyes:

Alfa DID have a bad reputation a long time ago but those days are gone. We could say the same for the Civic judging by most of the posts in this forum, but most of us know that people complain more than they praise. If you love cars and have a passion for driving, you can't really knock Alfas for passion.

Good luck with it..Enjoy..Great cars
Ignore the doubters..... Its your car not theirs!!
Thanks Robbo, I will enjoy and it not worry about the doubters. They can all look on in envy. ;)

I will always have fond memories of my Civic, but my heart now belongs to another, "for better or worse, in sickness or in health" as the saying goes. :D

·
Supercharged Blue Type R
2,399 Posts
not so called "recent surveys" or "I heard it from a bloke in the pub, so it must be true". :rolleyes:
Surveys are based on fact over a spectrum of users in their hundreds, not your personal experience and some mates.

I've been losely connected to the motor trade since I was born 32 years ago, as my father is a trader and owned two garages in St Albans. I worked in my spare time for him and ran it for a while too. We wouldn't even accept repairing them as they were bad news, as they would come back complaining something else was wrong since we fixed it. First hand experience my friend not pub talk ;)

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Surely you can still pop in this forum from time to time?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Surveys are based on fact over a spectrum of users in their hundreds, not your personal experience and some mates.

I've been losely connected to the motor trade since I was born 32 years ago, as my father is a trader and owned two garages in St Albans. I worked in my spare time for him and ran it for a while too. We wouldn't even accept repairing them as they were bad news, as they would come back complaining something else was wrong since we fixed it. First hand experience my friend not pub talk ;)

Good luck.
:facepalm: just agree to disagree, the survey you quoted was for ONE particular model and build. The same survey also quoted Audi as being extremely unreliable rubbish, do you also believe that Audi as not fit to be on the road? I seem to remember similar surveys about the 8th gen Civic. When it comes down to it, I go with experience over surveys every time. Sorry. ;)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surely you can still pop in this forum from time to time?
Well I will not give up the Civic until May, as that is when the Alfa should be ready from the factory, so I will still pop in. I think I may keep going even after that...

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts

Good luck.
Youre a nice chappy arnt you?:rolleyes:
The Honda Civic...just like any other car on the road is fault free isnt it!!
The paint is rock hard !! ;)
Good luck with the Alfa and ignore the Trolls :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
645 Posts

Good luck.
I owned an Alfa GT for 3 completley trouble free years, my Civic was owned for 18 horrendous months with nowt but trouble before cutting it loose. But I wouldn't generalise that all Civics are unreliable. Would I own another Alfa - you bet!

To the OP, enjoy your new car. I nearly went for a QV, but the release date was too late for me when I was changing. If you haven't been on Alfaowner, head over there as they have a decent forum running

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the positive comments all, I will enjoy it. And to any (or the one) that think I have made a bad choice... :nenner:

·
Registered
307 Posts
..we have a 2.0 Giulietta TD...had it 13months, no problems, great to drive, awesome to look at. To be fair it was recalled for a loose gearknob top but was fixed in 10 seconds...i am sure ANY line of car will have the odd duffer here and there but ours has been great...enjoy...(they go like stink in dynamic mode!!)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Youre a nice chappy arnt you?:rolleyes:
The Honda Civic...just like any other car on the road is fault free isnt it!!
The paint is rock hard !! ;)
Good luck with the Alfa and ignore the Trolls :facepalm:
Look at the jibes made previously about Skoda and Robbo's got 2 of the buggers LOL. (I've had 2 Octavia's by the way :D)

Seriously though, anyone who has had bad history or knows someone with bad history with a particular car will tend to give it bad press in one way or another.
Do the survey people look at the number of complaints as a total of the cars sold. If it is as a total then someone like Alfa will have a worse history than a mainstream manufacturer like Honda, VAG, Ford etc. due to lesser sales numbers AND exclusivity.
I bet if the majority of us list our car history, we can put something down against every model that we disliked or was a known fault.

Good choice on the Alfa, looked at it myself but the only thing I couldn't get on with was the retro looking dash which put me off. Other than that, its one smart looking car unlike my pig ugly Focus. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.