2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently been hit with a double whammy in that there is a loud ticking noise coming from round the timing chain area of the engine, anyone who ever owned a raleigh strika bike in their youth will recognise the sound. Gets worse as car warms up and now and again the cabin gets a nice blast of exhaust gas which isnt great.

I read elsewhere on the forum that there may be extended warranties for timing chain and manifold issues which i think the above are. Do Honda publicise these? I have tried contacting then but no response as yet.

Im not keen on taking to honda dealer as the guys in aberdeen havent been great in past, but if it means for free i might have to take the chance.

Anyone else suffering these problems, any idea of likely costs? civic is an 06 plate 2.2 ictdi sport trim almost at 100,000 miles, engine has been sound up till now, my long list of problems has been with bodywork (no acoustics in doors) to suspension gripes and doors filling with water etc., i put this down to it being an early model

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Recently been hit with a double whammy in that there is a loud ticking noise coming from round the timing chain area of the engine, anyone who ever owned a raleigh strika bike in their youth will recognise the sound. Gets worse as car warms up and now and again the cabin gets a nice blast of exhaust gas which isnt great.

I read elsewhere on the forum that there may be extended warranties for timing chain and manifold issues which i think the above are. Do Honda publicise these? I have tried contacting then but no response as yet.

Im not keen on taking to honda dealer as the guys in aberdeen havent been great in past, but if it means for free i might have to take the chance.

Anyone else suffering these problems, any idea of likely costs? civic is an 06 plate 2.2 ictdi sport trim almost at 100,000 miles, engine has been sound up till now, my long list of problems has been with bodywork (no acoustics in doors) to suspension gripes and doors filling with water etc., i put this down to it being an early model
I've heard of manifold issues here several times before, where there's been a slight crack. It appears they are fixed under warranty. However yours is 6 years old with 100k on the clock.. I'm not sure they'll do that. It's worth a shot, though?

Reactions: davemac0801

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
I think they extended the manifold warranty to 9yrs?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Then it might be worth a shot!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had an official "under the tabel" statement from the dealers here in the Netherlands that the timing chain is also fixed under warranty, so if you "think" you can hear something Honda will place a new timing chain and bearing under warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's an old thread but I have a question here regarding this as I have a strange noise from the engine:

The engine rattles at idle speeds a bit and when I go off the gas pedal in the 2nd or 3rd gear, I hear something like a loud rattle. It sounds just like the chain rattle you'll hear on a motorbike.

I can record a video if there is something unclear.

Is this a sign of a faulty chain or just normal?
If there is really a 125k/7yr warranty it would be about time to change it, as my car will hit 7yrs in 3 months and I'm 5k miles away from 125k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts