2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Bit gutted really, after my latest visit to my mechanic mate, just to change a tyre for me before I drive to Bristol for a stag do.

Basically he had the car up on the ramps, changed the tyre, looked at the plastic trim to re-adjust it etc.

He said he wanted to listen to the engine bay as he had noticed for a diesel it sounded a lot louder than expected.

Turns out from his investigation that he thinks my timing chain is hitting/rubbing/touching the cover as it was red hot, could hear it on inspection and the other mechanic has an Accord and stated it is a well known fault with an 07 Civic.

He did say that Honda know about this, so im asking has anyone else had experience with this, what did you do? Is there a Service Bulletin on this and can I get Honda to fix it and asap?

Anyway fingers bl**dy crossed

Cheers
Dan

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
Engine chain wear is a known problem on the i-CTDi, but I've never heard of one so loose it could rub the cover and generate heat! Surely it would be jumping the sprockets before that happened?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm mine has done 80k just. I was under the impression the whole point of a chain was you didn't need to change it?! But then I guess everything wears.
This is a fair point you make, but even I could feel the heat and see that it wasn't too good.
Any idea if there is a bulletin/recall etc out for this?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
There was an extended warranty (7 year/125k mile) for the chains on early (2004/2005) Accords. Not sure about later Honda diesels, as they had modified tensioners that supposedly dealt with the manufacturing fault, but was actually only a partial improvement. But it is a well-known problem, so why not ask a Honda dealer to investigate?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jon
You've been very helpful, im going to ring Honda early tomorrow morning.
Ask them to take a look, just worried the more I drive the more potential damage I could do
Cheers Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dump the oil and check for shavings. If it was hitting casings... I would imagine the chain would be tearing up the casing. You will have plenty of deposits.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys, Honda took a look, there is no service warrenty out for this type of fault...i was advised to go back to the garage i bought the car from in Dec last year and if they didnt take any blame at all then speak to the Office of fair trading....

They have checked the Aux Belt which is fine, so they believe there is something up with the Timing Chain but stopped short of working anymore on the car... the Service manager who i must add was very helpful from Honda Brayley in St Albands....stated the cost will be between 2-3.5k to fix...this is because of the labour time involved, new Timing Chain Kit and the possibility that the injectors may be stuck and need to be broken to get out and to the Timing Chain....each costing £400 a go.

Well to say im not happy is a bit of an understatement...going to pick the car up later and have a think over the weekend....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts