2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
With having the motor just tick over to 117k, and as far as i know looking at the service history (Shocking) & i may be wrong but as far as i can see the valve timing etc never having been checked which i was due to book in soon anyway, I'm thinking why not just do the lot?. I have no plans to get rid of the car as i don't do a great deal of miles so it's perfect for me really. My main question is, besides the obvious items such as chain, tensioner, guides, pulley and belt what other items such as seals etc will want swapping out? so i know what to add to my budget. I will be booking in the car to have the valve timing checked anyway and while i'm at it have them inspect everything neccessary for that job, but i'm always greatful for peoples opinions on here especially if they have been through the motions and parted wih hard earned cash. As far as i can tell everything is fine. there are no rattles or anything amiss with the engine everything works as it should, it's not let me down once in that department and besides two broken springs and a seized brake caliper it's been all smiles. As i say i've no plans on parting with it and theres still alot i would like to eventually do with it after i've sorted all the pre-existing problems lol.

So i've done a quick price up on parts, which i would buy before hand but if someone has a comprehensive list that would be of help and the best place to get them all in one hit if possible. Labour, what am i looking at roughly? And i suppose the most important opinion i want from you lot...is it worth it? Thinking long term with the mileage and no plans to part i would say absolutely, it's alot of dosh to fork over given there are no warning signs from the engine just yet but that could change tomorrow and i've always favoured a pre-emptive strike.

Regards, Olly

·
i-Vtec
4,426 Posts
Why change the chain if its not ticking on start up? Chains should last the life of the engine as long as oil and filters have been done within service guides. And its not something the civic is known for. By all means get the valve clearances done, but tbh just keep up with the servicing and it will be fine.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Agree with Das, the timing chain isn't a cheap job and if it's got no signs of needing one I'd leave it.

When you get the valve clearances done you can get the timing checked and you'll see if it's stretched. Also just change the valve cover seal and keep it simple.

A chain will normally give you warning signs before anything drastic happens, you would have to be very unlucky for it just to fail with no warning.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My chain ticks a bit for the first mile or so but settles after. The 1.8 isn't all that nice sounding either way.

Would move on if my chain went however...

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Honda don't list a chain change in the fixed price repairs menu for obvious reasons as it isn't routine.
They only charge £125 all in to do the valve clearances and would be able to do a condition check on the chain etc while they have it apart.
Probably worth that small cost upfront to confirm if you have anything to worry about - as @Das says, you probably don't if there are none of the usual signs of trouble

·
Registered
988 Posts
Got my valve clearances done for £99 last year, was the price then. No indications about the state of the chain but it was a Mazda/Honda combined dealer that was Mazda bias.

Have read that some chain ticking on start up is just one of those things.

I'd class a timing chain issue as a juddering clatter that's hard not to notice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts