2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,new to the forum,but constantly browsing!
Was told by mechanic there was a rattle on my timing chain and might need replacing,though he didnt seem too sure!
There are 150000 miles on the clock and I have booked car in Halfords for free cam belt check.

Just in case ,I have rang three garages for quotes and they all refuse to even contemplate doing the work because "honda civics are a nightmare to work on and timing chain replacement is not worth the hassle"

Gutted the chain may need changing,appears to be a very expensive job,only had the car two months,2006 2.2 diesel,full service history,loads of reciepts etc,and I love the car ,never had a honda before.

Any body else have this attitude from garages?

Unfortunately my mechanical skills are very limited!

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Your local garages don't know what they're on about. Replacing the timing chain on the 8th gen is actually quite straightforward.

Whereabouts are you based? I'm sure we can recommend you a good mechanic locally, who will do the work - budget for about £650, including parts and labour.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your local garages don't know what they're on about. Replacing the timing chain on the 8th gen is actually quite straightforward.

Whereabouts are you based? I'm sure we can recommend you a good mechanic locally, who will do the work - budget for about £650, including parts and labour.
Thanks for that quick reply!live in the Liverpool area.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
It's not rocket science, but it's a fairly big job! I'd be amazed if you got it done for only £650 all in, but good luck. I'd budget more like £1k and hope that no injectors get damaged...

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,282 Posts
+1 for Stevie at Grinspeed :thumbsup:

Done plenty of work on mine that I'm not confident to do myself, there again on Wednesday as a matter of fact ;)

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
hi seaney53 the chain on the n22 engine is pretty strait forward a job as long as the injectors are not seized in to the cylinder head common problem with some common rail engines
I think the labour times are about 5-6 hours of the top of my head

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hopefully grinspeed can confirm it is the timing chain first, you would like to hope that with a FSH car it would be in top condition still, but then again a heavy right foot all the time can certainly stretch timing chains

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Hopefully grinspeed can confirm it is the timing chain first, you would like to hope that with a FSH car it would be in top condition still, but then again a heavy right foot all the time can certainly stretch timing chains

Having a heavy right foot has no bearing on chain life. What causes chains to go is usually the tensioners bugger up or the oil galleries that spray oil onto the chain clog up because people use nasty oil filters or don't change them often enough.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
I really don't know why the i-CTDi timing chains stretch, but they do. Many blame the extended service interval allowing soot to build up in the engine oil and create an acidic environment that somehow affects the chains (there are two, one for the cam and one for the oil pump/balancer assembly and each has a tensioner). It was a more common problem on the early i-CTDi, but post-2006 versions (so all Civics) had a different design of tensioner, which can be retrofitted to the early engines (which I've done on my 2005 Accord). Here's a comparison of my old and new cam chains (additionally the tensioner arm/shoe was badly worn where it applied tension to the chain, making the problem worse)...

I agree that a second opinion is vital, as there are several reasons for these engines to make a horrible noise. Additionally it would be a shame to replace the camchain then discover that the oil pump chain was the real culprit! The cam chain tensioner can actually be replaced without major dismantling effort, as there is an inspection cover that can allow chain wear to be assessed and a failed tensioner to be replaced. Someone with experience of these engines should be able to give proper advice based upon the noise and the conditions that cause it (e.g. if worse when hot and idling?). Sometimes these engines just become noisy but this doesn't become a serious concern...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I really don't know why the i-CTDi timing chains stretch, but they do. Many blame the extended service interval allowing soot to build up in the engine oil and create an acidic environment that somehow affects the chains (there are two, one for the cam and one for the oil pump/balancer assembly and each has a tensioner). It was a more common problem on the early i-CTDi, but post-2006 versions (so all Civics) had a different design of tensioner, which can be retrofitted to the early engines (which I've done on my 2005 Accord). Here's a comparison of my old and new cam chains (additionally the tensioner arm/shoe was badly worn where it applied tension to the chain, making the problem worse)...

I agree that a second opinion is vital, as there are several reasons for these engines to make a horrible noise. Additionally it would be a shame to replace the camchain then discover that the oil pump chain was the real culprit! The cam chain tensioner can actually be replaced without major dismantling effort, as there is an inspection cover that can allow chain wear to be assessed and a failed tensioner to be replaced. Someone with experience of these engines should be able to give proper advice based upon the noise and the conditions that cause it (e.g. if worse when hot and idling?). Sometimes these engines just become noisy but this doesn't become a serious concern...
Very good write up sir, did you undertake the work on your accord yourself

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
Very good write up sir, did you undertake the work on your accord yourself
I did indeed. The full story is here (full pictures on page #2) and includes links to how I removed the injectors, put them back in, and the saga of crankshaft pulley removal... Replacement of engine chains - Diesel Faults - TypeAccord

I understand that the Civic is slightly easier, as the engine sump can be removed without the need to drop the front sub-frame?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,just to say ,as suggested I got a second and third opinion re the timing chain, and I was relieved to hear that there was no problem at all, the original mechanic was wrong in his assessment re noise in the engine.
Car was given a full service and every thing sounds fine!
Anyways still enquired about price of replacing chain,,,,,Honda Southport £950.00,Click Mechanic £550.00, independant garage in Wirral £575.00, and a friend of a friend ,a reliable mechanic, £400.00!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts