2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a bit worried about my 2.2 i-Ctdi engine. Lately a chain like noise can be heard coming from the engine bay. This noise is not heard continuosly, and before it stops it accelerates and then stops.

When this sound is heared the engine needs to be started several times before starting. Went to my local dealer, and at first he was sure it was a bearing that has worn out. He checked all bearings by removing the rubber belt and found the bearings in optimum condition. He then said that he read an error code coming from the crank sensor, and said that the problem is from the timing chain and that a replacement amounting to 2,000 pounds had to be done.

My engine is now 74,000 miles old and is a 2006 model. Can anyone guide me further and indicate if my mechanic is right.

Regards,
Gianni

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Out of interest what was the error code?

Im not any sort of expert, just interested, but what sort of sensor would detect a stretched chain or worn teeth? I suppose it could be on the tensioner?

£2k seems rather expensive for a Cam Chain, the parts themselves are ~£250 so he is charging a hell of a lot for labour?

I hope you get it sorted, nothing worse than a poorly car :'(

·
Registered
35 Posts
What do you mean by the accelerate and the stops? If the car is hard to start when cold then this could be the timing going slightly out if the chain is starting to go.

The Honda dealers usually change the injectors as well, as they tend to break when they dismantle the engine. That would account for a fair part of the price. Get a price breakdown see what all he's doing.

What sort of service history is with the car and what oils been used?

·
Dr. Evil
3,831 Posts
I know on the diesel Accord (which uses the same 2.2 engine) there is an issue with a noisy/rattling timing chain that Honda have acknowledged and will change under warranty up to 125,000 miles. I think that's Honda UK though, no idea if the same applies to Malta, sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts