1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Says about 50%; Doing some googling puts OEM nuts in the region of 75g; Round that down to 70g so as not to amplify savings; Then Light nuts at about ~20g, Once again, Rounding up to 25g to get a bear minimum gives 45g/ Nut; 225g / Wheel; so ~1kg total unsprung weight.

Don't have a scale to hand though :p

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Approx 50% weights saving is quite good if looking to loose unstrung weight/parasitic. Spinning at high revs I bet that adds up.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will add up if you're racing.

It'll possibly help you long-term avoiding corrosion to a large extent - visual.

I started replacing many of the bolts on a large petrol driven R/C truck - apart from those requiring real strength where 'high tensile steel' was still best.

What was impressive, just in handling the bolts was the huge difference in weight - much lighter.

Al.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Approx 50% weights saving is quite good if looking to loose unstrung weight/parasitic. Spinning at high revs I bet that adds up.
In comparison to the rest of the wheel/tyre combo, wheel nuts are a completely insignificant proportion of mass. Also, given that they are located so close to the axis of rotation, their rotational inertia will not play into it either. Rotational inertia is proportional to the square of the distance in which the mass is spinning. Tyres have a huge influence on this (and unsprung mass) as they are similar mass, if not heavier, than most alloys but their mass is situated furthest from the rotational axis!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts