2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During the last few months I've come to notice that the TMC (Traffic Message Channel) no longer works in my satnav, as in, there are no warnings about road works, accidents or traffic jams in the map, nor anything mentioned in the Info/Events list. The "TMC" icon is always red (seeking signal) but never green (receiving).

I'm not exactly sure when this happened, but I think it happened during the last service. I looked through the manual and the menus but couldn't find any help there. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or is the TMC service no longer available in Finland, or has its frequency(?) changed or something? (what is it called in Finnish anyway?)

Thanks.

Found the Finnish instance responsible for the TMC:
http://www.destia.fi/tmc/english/locationtable.asp
http://www.destia.fi/tmc/english/consumers.asp

(... however, these didn't quite yet explain why my TMC stopped working.)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip! Just went and did. The Unit Check / TMC Status displayed the following values:

Frequency: 103.7 (this kept changing)
Field Strength: 7 .. 10
Error Rate Correction: 1
Uncorrected Blocks / min: 5
TMC Group Counter = 0 .. 5
Provider Count = 0

Unlike in the picture of the thread you pointed me to, there is no "message counter" row at all.

Hmm. Provider count = 0.. does this mean they've stopped, like, providing? :???:

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks!

I see... looks like there's nothing I can do at the moment, then. The commercial service is only available for some devices (if any right now), and the free of charge table has to be downloaded, then somehow uploaded into the car - something I wouldn't feel like doing every day.

From the decision letter:
Finnra has decided that the publicly funded and provided pilot service will end during 2006. This decision conforms to Finnra´s traffic management policy and facilitates the development of commercial services in Finland.
Okay, so the commercial services are now 'facilitated', but it remains to be seen how reliable or reasonably priced they will be.

A quote from the FAQ:
Q: Why my navigator doesn't receive TMC messages anymore?
A: Destia has turned encryption on in April 2007

Q: Why isn't it possible to keep public messages on until my device's manufacturer implements encryption keys to the device?
A: It is not technically possible to send both public and encrypted messages at the same time. It takes different amount of time for manufacturers to do the necessary changes into their devices. First contracts with navigation device manufacturers are well on their way.

Q: Why TMC service is no longer publicly funded?
A: Finnish Road Administration decided to end their public service because of the high fixed costs. That is why the service is continued as a commercial service.

Q: Which devices supports Destia's encrypted service?
A: When supported devices come to market, it will be informed in these pages.

Q: What kind of information is broadcasted?
A: Please check "Broadcasted information" page.

Q: Where can I buy encryption key?
A: At the moment it is not possible to buy encryption key. The delivery of the encryption key varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. We will inform more about this when contracts with the manufacturers are made.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I wonder, what were the "too high fixed costs" they mentioned as the reason as to why the service was stopped? The data table is still available for free. Is broadcasting a national radio signal expensive?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
So, I wonder, what were the "too high fixed costs" they mentioned as the reason as to why the service was stopped? The data table is still available for free. Is broadcasting a national radio signal expensive?
Probably the 5000 civil servants needed to administrate it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ To broadcast an already freely available data table over radio? The table itself is already maintained by 5000 civil servants. Who's paying for their work then?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
^ To broadcast an already freely available data table over radio? The table itself is already maintained by 5000 civil servants. Who's paying for their work then?
You. :lol:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But it doesn't make sense. So the state still pays for most of the expenses (running the civil servants), but broadcasting the signal was privatized so the profit will go to the private sector? :confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
** EDIT Post in Finnish deleted - please post only in English in accordance with the Forum Rules, thank you. / FWH **

What's the status of this thing in Finland, is it true that tmc really doesn't work? It would be weird, because TMC in Tomtom works just okay.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ Does it work out of the box, or did you need to buy a special TMC receiver for it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, of course you need to have a tmc receiver, so that you can receive tmc transmissions. Tmc receiver comes in same package with certain Tomtoms.
But yes, tmc works in Finland.. there's propably something in your satnav..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts