2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

To Germany and Back.

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  HappyMan 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I went to Leipzig in Germany to the AMI Motorshow and seeing it was an 800km round trip from my home I thought I would give a small review of my civic.

It was the first time the car was full of people - 4 in total. My friend is over 6ft tall and had no problems in the back or in the front - he sat in both places. We are going to Croatia together in the summer and so this was like a little mini test to see if the car was comfortable enough for them. It was a success.

The journey & Car

The journey itself was fantastic. The car continues to amaze me with it's relaxed approach to speed, cornering and general handling. The economy is great in my opinion - yesterdays journey at speed returned a 9.0l/100km - I was not going slowly.

The trip also enabled me to test the car at speed ( on the autobahns of course), whilst I didn't push it to the limits I did want to see what it was like at a speed faster than normal. I took it to 190km/h at the maximum and not for long. I tried the speed when the road was clear and wide and I could see into the distance as obviously I was thinking about the safety of those with me - including my wife;).

I did find that the car was more than willing to go at speed and often found myself going faster than I thought I was going. It was great. I know on the way to Leipzig I was pushing it because I wanted to get to the car show and I was often travelling at around 170km/h and the car seemed quiet and composed at that speed. I actually found that when sitting around 148 - 150km/h the car was noisy but reduced noise as I increased speed. I obviously only travelled at speed when it was permitted and I kept to the speed limits of the road, it even annoyed the Germans when i adhered to the speed limits.

The radio coped well with the speed and didn't need to be increased to an ear crunching level just to listen to it. Very good

The engine seems to be loosening up now as I have done 8000km since getting it in December. And economy is definitely better now.

The people who came with me told me the car was comfortable and spacious and they were very happy.

There was only one problem with the journey and that was on the way back when i needed to get petrol and turned into a road side petrol station, which was shell. There were some red lights on the top but no explanation about what it meant. So, like an idiot I stopped at one of the red lighted pumps, got out to fill up ( no prostitutes arrived so it obviously didn't mean that) and tried to fill up - nothing! So frustrated at the lack of signage I moved to a non red-light pump which a german woman had just tried to use and failed. I tried and it worked - hurrah. The thing is when I went to pay for the petrol I am sure I saw the cashier smiling at me thinking ' Got ya". I left the german lady to continue her struggle with filling her car.

Conclusion

The car has it's creeks and moans as it the way with modern cars but it continues to impress me. The cars handling is fantastic and I love to take corners in it - only alone as my wife shouts at me - something about throwing up if it continue to do it, women[smilie=cheeky-grin:.

I am still more than happy with my car and love it, the smile is still there and I don't see it going any time soon.

Long journeys are no problem for this car, you feel comfortable, you feel you have space and most of all the car loves to drive. And there were no complaints about the suspension from anyone.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great, HM. A lovely review, I just posted a similar one, different types of journey but very much the same conclusions :):)

Glad you enjoyed it and the car !!

#5 ·
Good review too... and in the right section ;-)

#7 ·
Now, don't YOU start LOL ! ;)

#9 ·
Only in my head, and it was 9.1l/100km which wasn't bad considering my speed.

With the creak it is only the front window which I am going to try and get sorted asap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.