2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

been a lurker for a while now and have been in the market for a Civic Type R (either a 58/59 plate, budget about 10k) but as yet have not found one (upgrading from a Fiesta ST).

There are a number of questions and 'fears' I have about taking the plunge so to speak and this seems like the most honest and reliable place to ask -

Firstly, what is the actual official model name? is it FD2/FN2, I'm slightly confused?

1, are the horror stories about rusting doors/sills etc true and do they relate to this model?

2, clutch - issues, just how serious and common is this, and again do they relate to this model?

3, anything else I need to know about prior to going and viewing one?

thanks
Rich

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
0) The correct designation is FN2

1) There have been some cases of this, but it's not like it is on the majority of all cars.

2) Most of the clutch issues have been with remapped diesels I think. Clutches don't last forever in any car.

3) Faults section of the Wiki

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I've had mine for 2 weeks now and I'm over the moon with it, I traded up from a 1.8 Petrol type S.

I had a budget of 8-9k inc part ex of my old car, Mine had 30k on the clock and 1 previous owner I think it was a steal at 8k I got 2007 GT model which has all the toys (apart from bluetooth and sat nav, HID's are from 09 on I believe).

I opted not to get mine from a Honda dealership as the last one was and apart from being overly expensive and a pain to deal with I found no real benefit to having the years warranty. Mine was from a 'local' garage/dealership and I have 6 months mechanical warranty with it, there was a few minor cosmetic issues with the car which if you look through my build thread were cleared up in no time and cost next to nothing thanks to the forum.

If you go looking at cars go armed with a list of common faults from the wiki page, always test drive it and make sure you get on a carriageway where you can get up through all the gears under acceleration and test all the electronics and get a HPI check too.

Good luck on your search. :D

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Hi all,

been a lurker for a while now and have been in the market for a Civic Type R (either a 58/59 plate, budget about 10k) but as yet have not found one (upgrading from a Fiesta ST).

There are a number of questions and 'fears' I have about taking the plunge so to speak and this seems like the most honest and reliable place to ask -

Firstly, what is the actual official model name? is it FD2/FN2, I'm slightly confused?

1, are the horror stories about rusting doors/sills etc true and do they relate to this model?

2, clutch - issues, just how serious and common is this, and again do they relate to this model?

thanks
Rich

Mate I'm from stoke!

I've had 2x fiesta st's a pre facelift and a facelift. And they are complete ***** compared to a type r (this is my 3rd 2 ep3s and now an 08 fn2)

My mpg is better on the type r that the fiesta st which consider you get 50bhp more. The car is in a different league to what you have as I'm sure you know and if you get one don't worry about it one bit as the car looks after its self and the only thing I would say is get it serviced at Honda. Keep an eye on oil,tyres and pads and when you view them check if the clutch is squeaky, if so needs a £200 clutch master cylinder (common fault)

Si

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies -

I'm pretty certain that I'm going to go for it, the mrs has a Type S and I'm very impressed with that. Looking at a part ex of my ST against a TypeR on a 58 with low mileage at 9.5k. Its not a GT spec but I'm not overly bothered about air cond (I'm not sure what else you get with the GT pack) but it seems a fairly attractive deal.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Keep looking mate and take your time.

I use to work for Honda so I know what to look for but I've just paid 7600 for an 08 with rages with 40k and mines a GT.

Gt has dual climate control, auto lights, auto wipers, fold in mirrors and fogs.

A gt is always more desirable but it's up to the individual.

Si

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Mate I'm from stoke!

I've had 2x fiesta st's a pre facelift and a facelift. And they are complete ***** compared to a type r (this is my 3rd 2 ep3s and now an 08 fn2)

My mpg is better on the type r that the fiesta st which consider you get 50bhp more. The car is in a different league to what you have as I'm sure you know and if you get one don't worry about it one bit as the car looks after its self and the only thing I would say is get it serviced at Honda. Keep an eye on oil,tyres and pads and when you view them check if the clutch is squeaky, if so needs a £200 clutch master cylinder (common fault)

Si
I fixed mine today by greasing the spring on the clutch pedal, I did read it was the MC but after lying in the footwell and depressing the clutch it seemed to be coming from the spring so I covered it in Castrol LMX grease and after 10 mins of pumping the clutch not a sound :S It squeaks on my girfriends R too so will try that later when she gets home and report back.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
the r is a bit like marmite i personally love mine its ultra reliable being a honda ,yes i know its slightly slower than the ep3 but looks way better,i traded my accord 2.4 ex auto for it and quite honestly the only thing i miss are the hid headlights, i get easily 30mpg mine is a 08 gt with nav hft etc its a superb car and way better than the hot hatch opposition vxr ??? unreliable ,st far to thirsty,megane renault sport same as vxr.
n/a engines are the way to go and its quicker than 99% of all traffic, only mius points for me are thin paint and choppy ride but you soon get used to it i have no regrets getting mine

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
If you can do without the toys and looks of the FN2 maybe consider a premier edition EP3. The only issues you may have day to day with the type R is the harsher ride. If that's ok then take your time buying as it's very much a buyers Market at the moment with plenty of FN2's for sale. Oh and definitely buy the GT if buying an FN2.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi all,

thanks
Rich
It's a better class of car than the fiesta ST in my opinion not that the ST is a bad car, nearly got one myself. Driving position is much better, and you will notice it is a quicker car straight away.
The FN2 doesn't have any issues rather than the poor paint quality as far as I know. Any car will get stone chips but thats not really the point.

Just depends what you want really. for me the CTR is the best combination. If you are into modifying its the best car to modify aslong as you have deep pockets. If you're into figure chasing on a dyno go for a hot hatch with a turbo i.e. vxr or focus ST

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the replies, can I ask what your views are on this deal

58 plate
20k mileage
black
rage alloys
non GT (quite happy with this as nothing in the GT pack appeals)
service history
£9.5k

pretty certain thats the one ^ I'm going for and it seems a decent enough deal, any opinions?

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
thanks for the replies, can I ask what your views are on this deal

58 plate
20k mileage
black
rage alloys
non GT (quite happy with this as nothing in the GT pack appeals)
service history
£9.5k

pretty certain thats the one ^ I'm going for and it seems a decent enough deal, any opinions?
I think for that kind of money you can buy a mint GT model directly from Honda approved used such as:

Vehicle View - Honda Civic Type R 2.0 i-VTEC GT 3-Door - Leeds

There are lots on their website and i would aim to knock around £500 to £1000 of that price as well. It really is a buyer's market for these cars and you have lots of choice. It's not really necessary to buy approved used with Honda but it gives you a guarantee against the previous owners abusing of the car. After that first year you will know how the well the car was looked after for it's first few years.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
For 9500 you can get an 08 plate type r for that price from a Honda garage I'm sure.

See if they can do you a 2yr warranty if you do go to Honda.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts