2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Older and wiser...

... sometimes I do wonder?

Particularly after running a perfectly serviceable, fabulously economical, zero road tax, 3 year old 1.6 i-dtec with only 21k miles from when I bought it new. A car still in it's first flush of youth and able every now and then to surprise me by expressing that factory fresh smell. Quite naively I took it to the dealership for it's annual service and first MOT expecting nothing more than that!

But after having been somewhat shockingly 'ambushed' by what I can only refer to as 'the 10th gen courtesy car phenomenon'. Which was to say the very least, something of a revelation, my curiosity was piqued into finding out more.

Subsequently I was fortunate in spending several days and a fair few hundred miles trying out both new petrol engines with various transmissions and
levels of trim. During which, for the following what I shall laughingly call 'reasons', I determined that for my needs and wants the manual Sport was the one that hit the spot.

The 1.0 especially at SR spec and above is probably all any sensible person actually requires. The 3 cylinder engine lacks little; conferring primarily the twin benefits of economy and an appealingly polite or even dainty but rather well poised lightness of feel on the road.

To me the 1.5 felt to have slightly more heft to the helm with noticeably deeper reserves of torque to draw on. Bump rebound responses were marginally more apparent and curiously; against the higher spec 1.0's, there may be a little more overall road noise from the front tyres.

In the final analysis: I bought one in Sonic Gray Pearl. Quite simply put,
because I just liked it's vast set of all round improvements in cabin and drive-ability. Also embarrassingly enough, a part of me is, perhaps questionably, moderately enamoured with the looks of the sport body kit.

Good luck with your choice, it will be interesting to learn what you decide...

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
... sometimes I do wonder?

Particularly after running a perfectly serviceable, fabulously economical, zero road tax, 3 year old 1.6 i-dtec with only 21k miles from when I bought it new. A car still in it's first flush of youth and able every now and then to surprise me by expressing that factory fresh smell. Quite naively I took it to the dealership for it's annual service and first MOT expecting nothing more than that!

But after having been somewhat shockingly 'ambushed' by what I can only refer to as 'the 10th gen courtesy car phenomenon'. Which was to say the very least, something of a revelation, my curiosity was piqued into finding out more.

Subsequently I was fortunate enough to spend several days and a fair few hundred miles trying out both new petrol engines in various levels of transmission and trim. During which, for the following, what I shall laughingly call 'reasons', I determined that for my needs and wants the manual Sport was the one that hit the spot.

The 1.0 especially above SR spec is probably all any sensible person actually needs. The 3 cylinder engine lacks little; conferring primarily the twin benefits of economy and a polite or dainty but rather well poised lightness of feel on the road.

To me the 1.5 felt to have slightly more heft to the helm with deeper reserves of torque to draw on. Bump rebound responses were marginally more apparent to me and against the higher spec 1.0's there may, for whatever reason, be perhaps a little more overall road noise from the tyres.

In the final analysis I bought one in Sonic Gray Pearl. Quite simply put,
because I just liked it's vast set of all round improvements in cabin and drive-ability. Also embarrassingly enough, a part of me is, perhaps questionably, moderately enamoured with the looks of the sport body kit.

Good luck with your choice, it will be interesting to learn what you decide...
Congrats, you will love the car.
Nice colour as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Available from Honda dealers, 10G Civic Genuine Honda accessory temporary spare wheel kits are as follows.

Sport and Sport+ (Models with centre exhaust)
06421-TGG-505ZA

Elegance (SR), Executive (EX) and Prestige (Models with 17 inch wheels)
06421-TGG-506ZA

Comfort (SE) (Models with 16 inch wheels)
06421-TGG-507ZA
Hi Steve,

Do you happen to know a rough cost for the kits? Tried Googling the part number but just got a couple of Polish results.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the all the replies so far.

A quick twist to the plot - I used Carwow to get an idea of possible offers from other dealers for negotiating and a dealer from near Dorset has come back offering me a Sport+ for the same price I can get a Sport up here. Will be in contact with him later and if can do me a deal on a few other things I may be heading down that way to collect a new car.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Thanks for the all the replies so far.

A quick twist to the plot - I used Carwow to get an idea of possible offers from other dealers for negotiating and a dealer from near Dorset has come back offering me a Sport+ for the same price I can get a Sport up here. Will be in contact with him later and if can do me a deal on a few other things I may be heading down that way to collect a new car.
or get them to deliver it :)

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
mistake, I thought this related to the bodykit.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
What! And miss the opportunity to drive that 1.5 turbo engine along some beautiful Dorset / Hampshire / Sussex country roads?!?! :)
if you are close enough collect yourself, I was thinking delivery if you lived miles away.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Do Honda offer the option of collecting from the factory?

That's something I would like if living in the UK.
Mercedes used to offer (Still do?) in Germany.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Yeah German companies still offer that you collect the car from the factory. It costs around 500€, for getting a picture taken and I guess a tour in the factory.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I have a question for you guys in the UK. When you collect a new car from a dealership , how much fuel is there normally in the tank? My past experience with Honda is getting a car with the fuel light on which was an inconvenience to say the least.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
I have a question for you guys in the UK. When you collect a new car from a dealership , how much fuel is there normally in the tank? My past experience with Honda is getting a car with the fuel light on which was an inconvenience to say the least.
Mine had just over 1/2 a tank.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
In Poland it seems normal for dealers (not only Honda) to sell cars with just vapours in the tank. I heard stories of people not making it to the nearest petrol station. With my current Civic, I remember the salesman saying they couldn't put petrol in the tank as this was already my car and they couldn't drive it to the station. He didn't say why they couldn't bring some fuel in a can. :facepalm:

Sorry for off-topic

·
Registered
491 Posts
In Poland it seems normal for dealers (not only Honda) to sell cars with just vapours in the tank. I heard stories of people not making it to the nearest petrol station. With my current Civic, I remember the salesman saying they couldn't put petrol in the tank as this was already my car and they couldn't drive it to the station. He didn't say why they couldn't bring some fuel in a can. :facepalm:

Sorry for off-topic
Mine was also as good as empty. When they explained al the functions of the car with the engine running, it even seized because the fueltank was empty. Luckily they have their own petrol station.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Mine was also as good as empty. When they explained al the functions of the car with the engine running, it even seized because the fueltank was empty. Luckily they have their own petrol station.
Hopefully it won't cause any problems with the fuel pump in the future. It's a stupid practice.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Hopefully it won't cause any problems with the fuel pump in the future. It's a stupid practice.
Depends on how much you have screwed them on the deal possibly.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 49 Posts