2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into the dealers today to have my CTS GT looked at. Whilst I was waiting I was looking at an 08 NHB CTR GT and even took it out for a spin.

They gave me an impressive offer for mine. CTR repayment figures are reasonable and to top it off if I have the CTR GT they will fit 19" Rages with tyres at no extra charge.

Now the CTR has 25k, bluetooth fitted, more power obviously, Rages plus better residuals I think costing £11,950. My CTS (which I love and have enjoyed every day off since purchase) on the other hand is more economical, cheaper to insure, glass roof & optional 18" blades was £10,950.

I'm tempted very infact but I thought I'd ask the only people I could value their opinion on all stuff Civic. What are the pros and cons peeps all advice is very velcome

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Only you can really decide mate. However, I think that 12k is a little expensive for an 08 plate even with the Rages. I know dealers need to make money but ask yourself what they would offer you to buy the same car from you. I would maybe offer them 10.5K and see what happens.

As an example:

2008 HONDA CIVIC 2.0 I-VTEC TYPE R GT 3DR HUGE SPEC LOW MILES FSH

Whether or not you should switch is a different matter - if you can afford it then yes, why not? Depends what you're after. You could buy a brand new car for that money, although obviously not something anywhere near the same spec.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I went to buy a type S diesel, took it for a test drive and wasn't that impressed, it was quite powerful, but was quite clunky, so I thought I would try a petrol one.
Seen a Black 58 plate CTR GT, told my girl friend not to let me drive it as I would want it. No sooner when she turned her back I was doing 60mph out of the show room. Fell in love, picked it up the following week, been together 6 month now and still in love (the car, not the girl friend)
I would so do it, mine has rages on it, tyres are quite pricey, just put falken 452's on the front and it was £250.
Just bought a new set of 18" wheels and fitted snow tyres to them, as they are impossible to get for 19's, and mine was rubbish in the snow.
Getting a miltek exhaust fitted next month, didn't want to modify it, but you soon get brain washed, it's like the film christine, the car takes over your mind.
In a nut shell, best purchase I have ever made.....Do it, do it, do it, do it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I went from a Milano CTS GT i-shift to my CW CTR, first of all i wish they'd of given me that much for my CTS i got done!!!haha. I have had the CTR a year exactly & still absolutely love it & it makes me smile every time i put my foot down, whilst a had got a bit bored of the CTS after 2 years of having it. I very much doubt you'll regret the upgrade especially as that seems like a cracking deal to me!!
If i were you though i would just do a quick insurance quote & calculation on your petrol costs as the one thing that has surprised me is how much more im spending on petrol in the CTR. The other little thing that surprised me was renewing my tax last month...£245 for he year which from memory is about £90 more than the CTS?
As long as your aware of the slightly higher running costs then i would bet a considerable amount of money that you wouldn't regret it......all though personally i wouldn't choose the rage alloys.
happy thinking.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ WeHaveLiftOff that is what you get for not shopping around but then I do get the best customer service IMHO but you're right it is quite dear but that one is the cheapest and lowest mileage in a 10mile radius

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
@ WeHaveLiftOff that is what you get for not shopping around but then I do get the best customer service IMHO but you're right it is quite dear but that one is the cheapest and lowest mileage in a 10mile radius
It was just an example at the end of the day. I learned a while ago that you never pay what they are asking - always offer low and go from there ;-)
Customer service is worth a lot too these days though (and seems to be getting worse as far as I can tell) so that should be factored into the equation I suppose.

Let us know how you get on anyway - cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
The price of the ctr doesn't really matter as its really the trade in price your interested in.

For instance that ctr might be 12K and they might offer you 8K for a trade in. But you could go to another dealer who had the exact same ctr for for 10K but only get offered 5.5K for trade in which means your getting a better deal on the 12K one.

I love my type r and would recommend anyone to get one.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was just an example at the end of the day. I learned a while ago that you never pay what they are asking - always offer low and go from there ;-)
Customer service is worth a lot too these days though (and seems to be getting worse as far as I can tell) so that should be factored into the equation I suppose.

Let us know how you get on anyway - cheers!
Totally agree with you an after some looking there are some bargains to be had but then can you beat good customer service and an extended 12month warranty

I will definately ask tomo morning I have spoken the mrs (aka the bank :D) she says yey why not as long as I'm ok with it

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
The price of the ctr doesn't really matter as its really the trade in price your interested in.

For instance that ctr might be 12K and they might offer you 8K for a trade in. But you could go to another dealer who had the exact same ctr for for 10K but only get offered 5.5K for trade in which means your getting a better deal on the 12K one.

I love my type r and would recommend anyone to get one.
This is actually a great point you make - I had a similar situation when I bought my CTR - slightly less for my old car but a lot more off the list price. It does pay to look around.

·
V-tec BOOM
1,015 Posts
the CTR in my avatar pic is an 07 it had 26000 on the clock with rages and i brought it 2 months ago for £9200
12K seems abit high, god dam stealers

·
LOUD NOISES!!!
5,369 Posts
sounds very similar to me ........ had a CTS, now on my second CTR.

the key in all this (and this applies to most situations in life) is to have the greenlight from the missus, you now have that GO fOR IT!!

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
As Always when purchasing a car ------
It's always about the actual amount of dosh that you hand over, not the prices of the trade in or the proposed replacement.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
If running costs aren't a problem then go for it. If you have loved your S every single day, when you get in the FN2 you are going to be in heaven! The engine and whole package is great, true drivers car, own a piece of history. I am well and truly in love with mine :p

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
I know the car youre talking about, i hope youve gone to Laura! ;-)... The price has just been reduced, its not a bad car either! A great deal if you ask me.

The Type R is a great car, much faster and far better than the 1.8 Type S. If you can afford it go for it!! dont be under the impression that if you use the performance you will get anything like the economy of the 1.8. I averaged 24mpg before mods and 19mpg after.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know the car youre talking about, i hope youve gone to Laura! ;-)... The price has just been reduced, its not a bad car either! A great deal if you ask me.

The Type R is a great car, much faster and far better than the 1.8 Type S. If you can afford it go for it!! dont be under the impression that if you use the performance you will get anything like the economy of the 1.8. I averaged 24mpg before mods and 19mpg after.

Damn you G for knowing me lickle secret ..... I'm afraid I did speak to her on the matter but Carl was dealing with it. Nice girl by the way:worms:

Right quick call to the ins and see what's what

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Damn you G for knowing me lickle secret ..... I'm afraid I did speak to her on the matter but Carl was dealing with it. Nice girl by the way:worms:

Right quick call to the ins and see what's what
When you get it give me a shout to show you how to drive it lol :worms:

You HAVE to get HKS racing suction kit, Milltek and Flashpro though lol essential mods them :-D

·
Professional Cynic
221 Posts
Three months into ownership of my type r and I love it. Previous cars in my 15 year driving history include R5 GTT, 106 GTI, BMW E30 325i Sport, Audi S3. The type R is by far and away the best car I have owned to date. Still I toy with the idea of changing but never once have I hankered after anything anywhere near its price range. Fuel is a bummer so consider that issue carefully but apart from that there is no othere reason not to. I am as we speak trying to convert my mate from his Fiesta ST to a proper car like the Type R!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts