2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mark,

My Toda cat-back system is making a metallic noise under accleration about 2.5-4k rpm and it sounds like its coming from the mid box. I am not sure what this noise is but it has done it from new but seems more obvious now I have the Mugen rear bumper.

Makes the car sounds a bit rubbish from the outside as the metallic noise is quite loud. Any ideas why the exhaust is making this noise?

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Hi Mark,

My Toda cat-back system is making a metallic noise under accleration about 2.5-4k rpm and it sounds like its coming from the mid box. I am not sure what this noise is but it has done it from new but seems more obvious now I have the Mugen rear bumper.

Makes the car sounds a bit rubbish from the outside as the metallic noise is quite loud. Any ideas why the exhaust is making this noise?
My EP3 used to make a metalic sound from the exhaust and it was a heat shield... Not sure if the FN2 has any though?

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Is it secured properly?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TDI North had a look when the car was last up on their ramp and there was nowhere it would hit. It's just that specific rev range that causes the metallic noise, the rest of the time it sounds ace.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
TDI North had a look when the car was last up on their ramp and there was nowhere it would hit. It's just that specific rev range that causes the metallic noise, the rest of the time it sounds ace.
Strange!? Let us know the outcome as this is the catback I was looking to get.

Not cat is it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strange!? Let us know the outcome as this is the catback I was looking to get.

Not cat is it?
I hope not as I have the Toda manifold too, haha. Hopefully get a reply on this one but don't be put off as I am sure it's not a common issue.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
I hope not as I have the Toda manifold too, haha. Hopefully get a reply on this one but don't be put off as I am sure it's not a common issue.
Ah I see not that then. I think Mark is in Cyprus still so might be slow to reply.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Had exactly the same issue with 2 Skunk2 exhausts on my EP3. Unfortunately it was a loose baffle in the backbox that rattled at a certain revs, 2-2.5k.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Griffin this is typical issiu with toda midle silencer. Im using my 3th...
Really?! How long you had the catback?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I've got the Toda as well, I get the tail pipes vibrating on the triangle trims on the back. I also get a squeak from somewhere in the middle when the car judders.

There aren't any dents in it are there? No problems with gas flow?

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Really?! How long you had the catback?
I have my kit almost two years. I bought this kit faster than TDI Toda europe have this kit for sale! LOL

after a few manths i had this: after cold start

Toda sent me new midle silencer and after 3 weeks... start listen after 1 minutes...

Now im using modify midle silencer. My exhaust shop opened silencer and replaced bad quality and wrong wool. THis guy makes exhaust for racing bikes so he knows how build exhaust.
SInce this mod in last spring a have no problems!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope there are no dents, etc on the system. It didn't vibrate against the traingle exhaust trim, but I have the Mugen bumper now anyway which has a more space.

It sounds similar to MW1978's videos but nowhere near as severe as that. Maybe there is an inherrent issue in the Toda system if you're on your 3rd mid box and had to get it modified! How much did it cost you to get the mid box "fixed"? Did Toda replace the mid box for free or did it cost you?

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Did Toda replace the mid box for free or did it cost you?
They sent me new midle silencer but only once!

I can show you pics where thay cut my silencer but i dont know how and what kind of wool installed. I know only that this wool is used in track bikes exhaust. I have no problems with my TODA exhaust since last spring!

I also tryed to use my exhaust without midle silencer just like milltek but was too loud and sound wasnt so clear

BTW i know 2 members from civinfo with the same problem as I. BRM also using 2nd silencer and former civinfo member DINOC had also problem with midle silencer

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
They sent me new midle silencer but only once!

I can show you pics where thay cut my silencer but i dont know how and what kind of wool installed. I know only that this wool is used in track bikes exhaust. I have no problems with my TODA exhaust since last spring!

I also tryed to use my exhaust without midle silencer just like milltek but was too loud and sound wasnt so clear

BTW i know 2 members from civinfo with the same problem as I. BRM also using 2nd silencer and former civinfo member DINOC had also problem with midle silencer
I am still on my first Marcin, there was a problem with my portuguese dealer and customs, so i never got my new midle section. Im sorting it out with TDI PLC now, but Mark seems to be out of the country..., so, i am still waiting...

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Ok so this catbavk had got issues, which is a shame as it was my next purchase with the toda mani. So is this widespread problem? or just the few here and there?

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Very surprised by this actually, for the amount of money it costs you would think it would be trouble free and perfect.

Hope you get it sorted out soon mate..guessing you got it from TDI south at the same time as the charger & with them being Toda UK surely they can change it over for you & deal with the fault issue.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I think if there is a genuine fault then they do get changed although as with 90% of aftermarket parts there is no warranty and they clearly state for race use only.
I know the baffles do come loose as they had dine on mine but I'm waiting on Toda Japan to say what they are going to do.

I actually blew up 2 Todas and 3 Spoons on my old EP3!
Gets to the point where they aren't designed for the higher gas flows and heat generated when highly modified so you get to the point where it's custom systems with re-packable boxs are the route to go down as we are with the race cars.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts